The Accidental Human (The Accidental Series,…

The Accidental Human (The Accidental Series, Book 3) (edition 2009)

by Dakota Cassidy

191661,769 (3.6)3
Title:The Accidental Human (The Accidental Series, Book 3)
Authors:Dakota Cassidy
Info:Berkley Trade (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages

The Accidental Human by Dakota Cassidy

Wanda has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and has been given six months to live. Unlike her supernatural friends Marty and Nina, Wanda has not had the luck of meeting a supernatural lover and so decides that it's time to get her affairs in order, so as not to burden her friends and family when she is gone. Enter the very human Heath Jefferson. Heath is down on his luck and very much in need of a job and so decides to answer Wanda's ad for a make up sales person. First, Heath must convince Wanda that even though he is a man, he can sell makeup to women and then when he discovers his attraction to her, Heath has to find a way to make Wanda admit her attraction to him as well. The clock is ticking though, and with only a few months left to live, Wanda has to consider whether its fair to lead Heath on, though he just might be the love of her life.

The Accidental Human is a bit of a relief after reading Accidentally Dead, which had Nina as the protagonist. Wanda is thoughtful, conservative, and an obsessive list maker. Learning of her impending death causes Wanda to step outside of her comfort zone. Unfortunately, Wanda is another gently used protagonist, so part of her dealing with her impending death, is to attempt to have a friends with benefits relationship with Heath. Wanda also begins to swear freely for the first time and even calls her childhood bully to tell him off. For the most part, Wanda is enjoyable.

I still found myself cringing with every scene Nina appeared in. Nina continues to be hostile and angry for the sake of giving the appearance of toughness and ends up being a distraction each time she appears. I like that Wanda is the glue which holds the friendship between her, Marty and Nina together. At the end of the day, despite their differences, these women really care about each other and make their relationship a priority despite the hectic nature of their lives. I really like that Nina encourages Wendy to have sex and take of her "womanly needs", without any kind of shame.

The love interest in The Accidental Human is Heath, a former vampire. Heath wakes up one day to find that he is human after two hundred years and all of his earthly possessions have disappeared because they were all the result of magic. With his manservant at his side, Heath is determined to embrace his sudden humanity, though it means sleeping in a homeless shelter while searching for a way for a job. Having been turned down from various fast food placed and Walmart, the prospects look grim. If this is Cassidy's version of attempting to introduce class into the Accidentals series, it fails miserably. Heath mentions that it is difficult to stay clean and yet, beyond this statement of fact, he is always impeccably groomed. Because of his sudden poverty, Heath is forced to eat things like Ramen Noodles and Spam, yet is overjoyed by this diet because he finally has the opportunity to eat food after two hundred years. He only vaguely mentions gaining weight because of his diet and never discusses how a diet lacking in things like fiber, fruit and vegetable and high in sugar and starch, can leave one unhealthy and without energy.

When Heath calls about a job selling Bobbie-Sue makeup products, and Wanda expresses doubt about his ability to sell, he invokes gender discrimination. This is meant to be used for a laugh because it perplexes Wanda because she cannot understand why a man would want to step outside of society's rigid gender roles and sell makeup, despite the fact that Heath goes to great lengths to make it clear that he needs a job. This bit of role reversal with Wanda being Heath's boss and Heath invoking gender discrimination for laughs really didn't work for me at all.

In terms of inclusion, it really The Accidental Human is a hot mess. There is tons of speculation regarding Heath's sexual orientation by Wanda and her friends. This is followed by constant assurance that not only is Heath heterosexual, he is so uber confident in his masculinity because he can sell makeup at a Trans America pageant and doesn't get upset when the contestants come on to him. Really? No, really? Naturally, Heath breaks a Bobbi-Sue record selling to the contestants and all this because he is supposedly so progressive when it comes to gender.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jun 21, 2015 |
Read for Fun/Listened for Review (Paperback/Tantor)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Still really enjoying my 2nd visit to this series! I still teared up again in The Accidental Human by Dakota Cassidy the second time around.

Original Review from 2010:

What I Loved: Almost everything about this book. It made me laugh, cry, and want to tag along for the ride. Wanda grew so much during this book that it was hard not to love her! There is one scene between Wanda, Nina, and Marty that had me bawling like a baby. Dang you Dakota Cassidy!

What I Liked: I really liked all the funny moments, most of which were brought to us by the manservent extraordinaire. I also appreciated bringing all 3 couples together at the end so you could see how different they all really were!

What I though was So-So/Didn't Like: Not a darn thing!

Why I gave it 4: Ok so this book was a close 5 for me. The only reason I gave it a 4 instead is because I wanted a little more of the end scene with them all gathered together. I would say that is a spoiler but ummmm we are reading a romance LOL.

Who I would recommend it too: PNR readers who enjoy some snark :)

2014 Audio Review

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated by: Meredith Mitchell /Length: 10 hrs and 42 mins

Meredith is so growing on me as the series continues! I really think Wanda's voice is the one she has always been spot on with and she delivered on this one. I am looking forward to how she pulls off Casey.

Final Thoughts: It is always fun revisiting favorite characters! ( )
  thehistorychic | Jul 12, 2010 |
I picked this up on a whim at the library, being in somewhat of a paranormal mood lately. Unfortunately, I found it kinda of “meh”. I admittedly haven’t read the first two books in the series, but I don’t think they were necessary for this storyline. I liked Wanda, and the story of Wanda and Heath, but Wanda’s friends Nina and Marty just rubbed me wrong. They’re kinda bullies… though that would apply more to Nina than Marty. And Wanda took *forever* to tell anyone about her illness, and I think it would have been more interesting to have more time spent with *everyone* dealing with what was going to happen, rather than Wanda just dealing with it herself. So it was an okay read overall, but not good enough for me to seek out more of her work. ( )
  miyurose | Jul 3, 2009 |
I suppose it's kind of silly to even waste time "reviewing" a romance novel. The whole point of them is to escape reality and take a mental break. But good romance novels, ones that are well-written, DO indeed exist. This is not one of them.

Ms. Cassidy sets up this series with 3 female friends who are all attractive and self-sufficient. All have grating personalities and communication deficiencies which would never allow them to actually be friends. It is too difficult to suspend my disbelief.

All 3 are gorgeous women who have romantic pasts. The meat of these stories is that a "hawt" man suddenly, literally within days, inexplicably falls in love with them and MUST have them, will stop at nothing to have them. The girls resist, resist, resist, then finally give in.

I can't even begin to comment on the stupid use of slang and colloquialisms that dumbs these books down even more.

I will concede that the cover art is attractive. ( )
  GirlMisanthrope | May 28, 2009 |
Of course, I expected nothing less out of Dakota Cassidy and I must say that she fulfilled everything that I had come to expect from her writing. In this book, we're following Wanda as she struggles to decide whether she's going to tell her friends about her unexpected delivery of bad news from her doctor. She has become cocky, snarky and above all, sometimes frogetful of others feelings. But this is about her, right?

But then something happens one night at a party she was holding at her house for Bobbie-Sue, a man - a very delicious man has decided that he wants to sell cosmetics. And he's very good at it. He's confident, sexy, and very in tune with his color aura! But there had to be some type of catch - no man wants to sell cosmetics unless he's looking to bag some women! Or so she thinks. Heath has quite a few secrets himself and finds himself falling for Wanda. As she is falling for him.

I'm not going to spoil the book for anyone - it's touching and very funny (if you like that kind of stuff). Although at the end we find out what the illness was that Wanda had, I think she made the right choice. But it's full of surprises and the ending, well, let's just say that it's a huge surprise! But in order to find that out, you'll have to read the book for yourself!

But if you haven't read this series yet, I would suggest starting with The Accidental Werewolf, and then Accidentally Dead. This series is funny and once you've read something by Dakota Cassidy, you'll want more and more! ( )
  RuthiesBookReviews | May 8, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042522595X, Paperback)

Immortality bites- new from the author of Accidentally Dead and The Accidental Werewolf.

Wanda Schwartz is raking in the dough selling Bobbie-Sue Cosmetics-and she's a pro at recruiting new saleswomen. So, she's shocked when a man comes to one of her in-home parties-a very hot man. Heath Jefferson is sure to put some extra spin into a lot of women's color wheels.

When Wanda is diagnosed with a terminal illness, it doesn't have to be a death sentence. With a werewolf and a vampire for best friends, she has options that most ordinary people wouldn't. As Wanda ponders what to do about her mortality, Heath reveals he has secrets, and one of them is that his former bloodlust has turned into an old-fashioned lust-for Wanda. And he's already given up too much to lose the love of his lifetimes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:17 -0400)

Although diagnosed with a terminal illness, cosmetic saleswoman Wanda Schwartz isn't as fearful as she should be about her fate, especially since her best friends, a vampire and a werewolf, have the power to make her immortal upon the simplest request.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,758,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible