The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia

The History of Jazz (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Ted Gioia

Ted Gioia's History of Jazz has been universally hailed as a classic - acclaimed by jazz critics and fans around the world. Now Gioia brings his magnificent work completely up-to-date, drawing on the latest research and revisiting virtually every aspect of the music, past and present.Gioia tells the story of jazz as it had never been told before, in a book that brilliantly portrays the legendary jazz players, the breakthrough styles, and the world in which it evolved. Here are the giants of jazz and the great moments of jazz history - Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, DukeEllington at the Cotton Club, cool jazz greats such as Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, and Lester Young, Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie's advocacy of modern jazz in the 1940s, Miles Davis's 1955 performance at the Newport Jazz Festival, Ornette Coleman's experiments with atonality, Pat Metheny'svisionary extension of jazz-rock fusion, the contemporary sounds of Wynton Marsalis, and the post-modernists of the current day.Gioia provides the reader with lively portraits of these and many other great musicians, intertwined with vibrant commentary on the music they created. He also evokes the many worlds of jazz, taking the reader to the swamp lands of the Mississippi Delta, the bawdy houses of New Orleans, the rentparties of Harlem, the speakeasies of Chicago during the Jazz Age, the after hours spots of corrupt Kansas city, the Cotton Club, the Savoy, and the other locales where the history of jazz was made. And as he traces the spread of this protean form, Gioia provides much insight into the social contextin which the music was born.… (more)
Member:scrapple318
Title:The History of Jazz
Authors:Ted Gioia
Info:Oxford University Press, Inc, (1997), Hardcover, 471 pages

The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia (1997)

As chronicled in this work, jazz is currently experiencing a resurgence as artists all over the world are using its elements to launch new musical sounds. Gioia captures this momentum by updating his celebrated second edition by Oxford University Press into a new third edition. In so doing, he continues to push forward scholarship about jazz while providing a tour de force of its history to interested readers.

In nearly 600 packed pages, Gioia analyzes the music of every important jazz artist and her/his place in jazz history. While at times this approach can get repetitive, most times, I left the book to download some music by an artist newly found to me. Gioia could have provided a bit more of an overarching narrative about jazz history in general. Instead, it reads as a list of disconnected artists and movements, but perhaps this is the author’s view of jazz itself.

I have not read prior editions (which were celebrated on their own), but by page count alone, this edition seems longer and more comprehensive than the others. As such, interested readers and fans of the jazz idiom will be grateful for more of a good thing. Everyone is covered – from Buddy Bolden and Scott Joplin to Diana Krall and Norah Jones. As musical instruments, technologies, and cultures have risen and evolved, so has jazz been present for every step of the way, as this book clearly communicates.

This work (written by an American writer, published by a British press about a global phenomenon) stands to reach many audiences. Musicians of high taste are able to cherry-pick elements that might help their musical evolution. Fans are able to extend their musical tastes into new areas with new sounds. Cultural observers are able to reach into the details of musical history. Even a global audience are able to see how jazz continues to impact Europe, Asia, Latin America, and even Africa.

I’m only a fan of both music and history; I’m no musical scholar or musician. Nonetheless, this book bettered my musical tastes. It contains some technical terms about music that I had either to glance over or to look up. It brings to life the music of this genre and the people behind it. Reading a meticulously researched history allows me to place the variegated sounds of jazz into the appropriate cultural context. My music library has grown dramatically as Gioia’s words inspired me to examine certain artists firsthand. Reading this book has been an enriching experience. ( )
  scottjpearson | Oct 29, 2020 |
Quite simply - the best history of jazz written thus far! Essential reading for even casual jazz listeners. Thorough, scholarly, objective and inclusive, but easy to read with a minimum of esoteric discourse. Even readers without any knowledge of music theory and composition should find it easy enough to skim over the bits about specific chord structures and still grasp the full meaning and import of those passages.

Really, my only complaint about this book is the author's overuse of the phrase "piano attack" when describing the styles of individual keyboard performers. It's apt, and a standard turn of phrase in jazz criticism - but it gets really old and rather meaningless after too many repetitions.

If that's my only complaint - then this is as close to a perfect work as anyone could expect!

Also - I've made it a goal over the next several years to create a playlist with every one of the suggested listening tracks he lists at the back of the book! ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
I picked up this book to learn about jazz, in a more compact and manageable way than buying albums or downloading decades' worth of mp3s, but it seems music is best learned by listening after all. It's a comprehensive and enjoyable read, but probably much better with a jazz fan background. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
This is the best short (circa 400 pages) history of jazz that I have read. Covering all major styles, schools, and players, it gives a rather complete perspective of the evolution of the music during its first century of existence. A very enjoyable book. ( )
  FPdC | May 25, 2010 |
The back cover of this Oxford paperback claims that the book is suitable as an introduction to jazz or as an authoritative reference. I must admit that I am neither a jazz officianado nor a complete novice to the world of swing, bebop and fusion, making me incapable of confirming the cover's claims. However, for me, this book filled in the gaps quite nicely.

Most of my knowledge of jazz has come from the radio. The big names keep popping up but lesser known lights get little air time and I am at the whim of the dj's tastes. "The History of Jazz" covers them all, starting at the very beginning - drum circle dances in pre-abolition New Orleans. It then discusses the roots of early dixie land jazz (ragtime, Joplin, and the blues) and then describes the movement of jazz from New Orleans to Chicago and New York. It intersperses lively anecdotes about the fathers of jazz -Jelly Roll Morton was a procurer (pimp?) early on- with music theory and analysis. Buddy Bolden, Louis Armstrong and Morton all have a section devoted to them. A chapter on the jazz age pays special attention to Armstrong's Hot Five and subsequent career. Bix Beiderbecke's biography is given in detail along with notes on many other famous players of his day. A chapter is devoted to Harlem, stride piano, Waller, Ellington and the advent of the big bands, ending with a description of society and music at the Cotton Club. The Swing era gets a chapter to itself with even more in-depth treatment of big bands and those who led them (Goodman, the Dorsey's etc.). Kansas City style jazz, and european jazz traditions (Django Reinhardt) are also covered. The details of Billie Holiday's life, although well known, make for a sad story.

The second half of the book, which covers modern jazz, the fragmentation of jazz styles and recent jazz developments, is much less coherent than the first. The section on bebop with its lengthy discussion of the life and influence of Bird and Gillespie continues to be readable and thorough. However, as the author approaches the present day, the writing, like the jazz, seems to fragment. This is not to say that it isn't enjoyable reading, just that the sheer number of names and styles begins to pull the book in too many directions. California jazz, trad jazz, cool jazz, hard bop, post-bop and soul, free jazz, post-modern jazz and the various fusion forms leave the reader gasping for air. It seems clear to me that I will need to go out and listen to a lot of things to round out my education. Fortunately the book is well supplied with notes, further readings and, best of all a recommended listening list.

While I might not have understood everything the author had to say about the subtleties of the music, this book has made me a much keener fan of jazz. It has created in me the desire to seek out new and different forms of the music and to listen more carefully to the old stuff. For this, I gladly give it five stars. ( )
1 vote Neutiquam_Erro | Mar 18, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,254,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible