I'll Scream Later by Marlee Matlin

I'll Scream Later (edition 2010)

by Marlee Matlin (Author)

The compelling memoir of the Academy Award-winning actress and role model for 30 million deaf and hard-of-hearing people serves as an inspiration and a lesson in overcoming adversity.
Member:scuzie
Title:I'll Scream Later
Authors:Marlee Matlin (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

I'll Scream Later by Marlee Matlin

biography (deaf actress dealing with abusive relationship, marijuana and cocaine addiction, depression in the 1980s, then recovery at the Betty Ford clinic and other life events)
I read about half of this (to page 126), but wasn't learning that much about Deaf culture or even addiction--it is really more of a Hollywood bio, with lots of name-dropping and descriptions of movie set scenes, etc. Which is fine, but not really something I would benefit from learning more about.

There is some swearing, which I probably wouldn't have given a thought to except that another library user had "helpfully" censored those parts with a pen. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This was, to say the least, an interesting read. It was written in a different style than other memoirs I've read. People sometimes say, they write the way they speak. Well, Marlee Matlin does just this. A lot of her speech is short, to the point. Sometimes I would say not as descriptive as someone else might have written it, and this may have to do with her being deaf. I learned through a little outside research, that there is Signed English, which is an almost word for word, more precise form of sign, that's designed to teach rules of syntax and grammar, and then there's of course ASL, which is more of shorthand version, it conveys the general idea being discussed. Marlee, for the most part, uses ASL in her signing, and it comes across in her writing. Many of the sentences are short and to the point, the general idea is there, without all the fluff of extra words.
One thing I felt was somewhat confusing were the transitions into some of the other topics. I could see the general idea of them, but I thought they could have been handled somewhat better, because a lot of the time I found myself thinking, "Now how did those two fit together," and having to go back and rearead a little.
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
I normally shy away from celebrity memoirs, but when I saw Marlee Matlin's autobiography at an used bookstore, I picked it up. After all, she is Deaf like myself. Published in 2009, and written with Betsy Sharkey, this covers Marlee's life up to the Dancing With the Stars era -- since then, she has done more work including "Switched at Birth". As a funny aside, ever since she became famous by becoming the first Deaf actor to win an Academy Award, I've had hearing people tell me that I look like and/or remind them of Marlee Matlin. I think we look nothing alike, although we are nearly the same age (she is about two months older than I am). Deaf people have never ever told me this. I suspect, to some hearing people, all Deaf people are alike and that is why these comments happen.

Matlin does a lot of dishing on celebrities she has met or knows -- Henry Winkler and his wife are good friends and mentors, and let her stay at their pool house when she was first starting out in LA; she had a tempestuous relationship with William Hurt (her co-star in "Children of a Lesser God"); she lived with David Kelley for a while (he is now married to Michelle Pfieffer); and so on. Those type of disclosures are to be expected from a celebrity memoir.

Matlin occasionally touches upon the challenges of being Deaf and on how the Deaf world perceives her. I could relate to those moments more (obviously) than the celebrity angle of this memoir. While I was disappointed that she didn't go as deeply in Deaf issues whenever she did bring them up, I kind of think the reason for this is that she really wants to be seen as a person, and actress, first and foremost, and that she just happens to be Deaf. I can understand that -- also, she has her feet in both the Deaf and hearing worlds, as I do.

As Marlee Matlin states:

"Whether it was the Deaf or the hearing community, I've always fought against anyone defining me, stereotyping me, limiting me because of my deafness. At the same time, I've tried to be a strong advocate for Deaf issues -- working endlessly for close-captioning and educational opportunities for Deaf Children.
But I decided early on that I had to live my life the best way I knew how. I had strong opinions and a way of living in both the Deaf and hearing worlds that made some Deaf activists angry. But I was raised that way, and I wasn't then, or ever, going to apologize for that" (p. 90-91). ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Jul 29, 2015 |
The most boring memoir I've ever read. ( )
  lemontwist | Feb 3, 2014 |
#1, Ack and eww to the cover. Don't know why, but it just seems... somehow like it doesn't fit the rest of the book. So, if you're considering reading this book, don't judge it by its cover. Though, maybe that's why the cover is the cover, Ms. Matlin seems to be one smart lady.

Other than that, an awesome book, touching, and uplifting, and hilariously funny. Which means a good writer.

Everyone should read it, you won't be sorry. But you may get a side stitch from the gales of laughter. ( )
  DanieXJ | Mar 17, 2012 |

Marlee Matlinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sharkey, Betsymain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,456,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible