Pleasure by Jacquelyn Frank
228None50,685 (4.01)2

I didn't like it as much as the first two. This one is really two stories, the first a true novella the second a short novel. It seemed that the author didn't know that they would be put together. Both stories border on the paranormal erotica.

So the first story was pretty good, I could even give it a 4 star. There was more of a paranormal element in this as the witch does use her magic and the light does effect the shadow dwellers. I noticed in these novels that I would often forget that I was reading a paranormal story as it was really sidelined and the relationship took precedence. In the novella, the paranormal element was more present. The witch and shadowdweller have an immediate attraction which is helped by his psychic ability to "know" her. For her it is that she is isolated and alone. Quick and sweet read.

The second story is of the queen twin and her bodyguard. He has silently loved her since he met her. He devotes his life to her protection without ever thinking of breaking protocol. So we've been seeing this in all the previous books. Why I didn't like this one as much is that she is supposed to preveneer and she gets a 'vision' yet they discount it. Also how she wrapped up the evil bitch being brought down was so contrived and... rushed. So since this is romance I'd get over it but another too convenient "problem" fix right at the end, also seemed rushed. Sagan and Valera make an appearance which gives you a glimpse at what direction the first story might go in but... In bringing the couple back she drones on about who the woman is and how being a witch is untrusted. Well, we just read that is the novella at the beginning of the book and you are wasting precious little time reiterating it. Here we are at 2nd to last chapter reading what we already knew from the beginning of the book! This really needed an editor. So I was hoping for a longer completion instead we get an assassination attempt and then sex; oh, but there is a sentence in there about a vision of the future the queen sees. I guess that is our only epilogue.

This was a very rush feel for an ending with many of the people that the book delt with, left in the air. Valera is perhaps the most complete with us knowing that helping the queen will ease her into society. But, Malaya and Guin are wrapped up in a couple of visions during a climax during sex where Malaya see her royal wedding and her pregnancy in the future. What happens to the Senator that attempted the assassinate is never discussed. Also we don't get to see Daenaira again. All throughout the book we get intimate views of Magnus and Dae but we don't get to see them heal from their loss. It felt so incomplete and makes me sad for the second book.

So... I liked the spin off series but it just isn't as good as the Nightwalkers. It has less paranormal happening and more erotic romance going on. Not a bad thing but something to keep in mind if you want a true balance between your romance and paranormal. This is definitely on the romance and even erotic side-- Much more about the relationship and the getting together for sex. I read straight through them, one day after the next. So they are a quick read and keep your attention. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
I really loved Guin & Malaya's story couldn't put it down til i devoured the pages... ( )
  elie26reads | Jan 3, 2013 |
not as good as the other two, but very readable ( )
  SLHobbs | Oct 28, 2011 |
This is a great read. More intense than I would have expected. I will probably read it again just because it was that good. ( )
  AngelLocke | Dec 14, 2009 |
This book is amazing on so many levels. Malaya and Guins story was beautifuly writen. Their story of love and all the strugles in between are great, not to mention great love/sex mixed in. There is also Sagan's story with Valera, another great short love story. We also come to learn what becomes of Acadian and all her evil plans, over all a great book, lots of action and thrills, lots of love and steamy sex, GREAT READ! ( )
  pearl24 | Dec 7, 2009 |

A Sanctuary priest, Sagan, is taken captive and thrust into the Alaskan wilderness, where he encounters Valera, a natural born witch, who challenges his faith and his self-control. Malaya, Chancellor of the Shadowdwellers, must marry for tradition's sake. Her bodyguard, Guin, can't stand the thought of her enduring a loveless union. The fate of both relationships could change the world of the Shadowdwellers forever.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,418,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible