Purses and Poison by Dorothy Howell

Purses and Poison (edition 2010)

by Dorothy Howell (Author)

When beauty queen Claudia Gray, the ex-girlfriend of Haley Randolph's boyfriend, store owner Ty Cameron, is murdered at a Holt's Department Store luncheon where Haley is subbing for a sick server, Haley is accused of killing her.
Member:JeanetteReames
Title:Purses and Poison
Authors:Dorothy Howell (Author)
Info:Kensington Pub Corp 2010-06-01 (2010), Edition: Reprint

Purses And Poison by Dorothy Howell

I read the first novel in the series earlier this year. I don't recall the exact time frame and decided I would try another title in the series. I classify this type of book as "light and fluffy" and I sometimes can enjoy the fun moments in a light read. However, I didn't enjoy this novel beginning on the opening page of Chapter 2 and unfortunately retain that opinion as I finished it.

A few paragraphs into Chapter 2, the main character, Haley Randolph says, "I pointed to a heavyset woman wearing jeans and a man's T-shirt. I picked her because she looked like a lesbian, and you can always count on a lesbian in a crisis." WoW! I realize this isn't a 2014 copyright but I don't think this was appropriate in 2009 either. I believe there are usually multiple individuals that read an author's manuscript as it moves through the phases to published novel and I'm very disappointed that even if the author didn't have the good sense to remove these sentences that someone giving it one of those first reads didn't push for the removal. I have the same opinion when someone still describes a librarian with her hair up in a bun, telling everyone to shhhhhh! AND her glasses are falling down on her nose. Enough! These types of stereotype characterizations are NOT appropriate and they need to stop. I like to think of authors as helping the world to become a better place, to open minds, and to open new possibilities. I can characterize too, and Haley Randolph is a not a character that I want to spend more time with as reading time is precious and there are many other possibilities to explore!

Other copy editing needs:
Last paragraph of Chapter 3:
"I know you're nervous, but don't worry." Ty grasped by arm. "I'll go with in you, and I'll stay right beside you the entire time."
Perhaps ... "I'll go in with you,..."
Chapter 8:
"That's why she was needed her passport, wasn't it?" I said,...
Perhaps..."That's why she needed her passport, wasn't it?" I said,... ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 20, 2014 |
Haley Randolph is the funniest amateur sleuth to come along since...well, ever. This book was laugh out loud funny, just as the first book was. I'll be reading every book in this series! ( )
  stephiesmith | Apr 10, 2011 |
Murder strikes Holt's Department Store once again and purse-loving Haley Randolph finds herself in the hot seat . Her mother's edible fruit/flower arrangements are at risk in this story. This is a quick romp of a mystery, with Haley questioning her relationship with Ty Cameron, Holt heir and golden boy, going to school and trying to solve more than one mystery. More questions arise at the end of the story, leading us to hope there's another title in the works. ( )
  ethel55 | Sep 21, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,238,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible