And Then There Were None by Christie, Agatha

And Then There Were None (edition 2011)

by Christie, Agatha (Author)

14,553389255 (4.13)1 / 515
Ten houseguests, trapped on an isolated island, are the prey of a diabolical killer. A famous nursery rhyme is framed and hung in every room of the mansion: Ten little Indian boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine--When they realize that murders are occurring as described in the rhyme, terror mounts. Who has choreographed this dastardly scheme? And who will be left to tell the tale?… (more)
Member:MalecFan4Lyfe
Title:And Then There Were None
Authors:Christie, Agatha (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2011), 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Read but unowned

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Recently added byLeopolis, GavinAbdollahi, Narilka, carolleeth, darwin.8u, CompassSchool, SuperDoobyDo, jamesabg, private library, Cassabass
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (lahochstetler, eclt83)
    lahochstetler: Two of Christie's best plot twists
    A Study in Scarlet / The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Patangel)
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Ludi_Ling)
    Ludi_Ling: Both Christie classics, where no-one and everyone could have done the murder.
    Agatha Christie: A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Innes- Wagstaff (OwenGriffiths)
    Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie (MarcusBrutus)
    The Ninth Guest by Gwen Bristow (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Invited guests murdered one-by-one by their host.
    The List of Adrian Messenger by Philip MacDonald (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Killer working on a selected group, and with a high body count.
    Nine Man's Murder by Eric Keith (TheRavenking)
    The Riddle of Sphinx Island by R. T. Raichev (TheRavenking)
    Bertie and the Seven Bodies by Peter Lovesey (TheRavenking)
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: I thought the mystery had a similar tone to the setup of this one.
    Puzzle for Wantons by Patrick Quentin (TheRavenking)
    Choice Cuts by Boileau-Narcejac (TheRavenking)
    The Possessors by John Christopher (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    I Know What You Did Last Wednesday by Anthony Horowitz (TheRavenking)
    R.I.P. by Philip MacDonald (Anonymous user)
    A Maze of Death by Philip K. Dick (TheRavenking)
    The Frankenstein Factory by Edward D. Hoch (TheRavenking)
    Stableford by Rob Reef (TheRavenking)
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: No way onto the island and no way off...

1930s (5)
Read (58)
Elevenses (266)

English (358)  Italian (11)  Swedish (4)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (389)
I've read one other Agatha Christie book and was a bit underwhelmed, but this is supposed to be "the one to read", so I tried one more. It's not my cup of tea. I've come to the conclusion I just don't like her writing style.

The mystery is a classic who dunnit with lots of candidates for the murderer, an isolated island, people being killed in unique ways, but it left me uninterested. Gratefully, it is a short read, probably because it's short on character development. And the ending? I didn't like the random, out-of-the-blue wrap up.... all in all, not my fave type of mystery. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
I read this book for the "A Book By Agatha Christie" part of my 2018 reading challenge. I enjoyed it and was definitely puzzled by the mystery, but it was lighter and shorter than I expected. I would have liked if it were a bit deeper and less fluffy. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Each of the ten characters involved have their own reason for visiting Indian Island where the reader is introduced to the haunting rhyme about ten little Indians. One by one, the guests start to die and the survivors realize the rhyme is more than just a schoolyard tale.

I absolutely adored this book. I read it in one day, which would've been only one setting if life didn't get in the way. Definitely one of my favorite books of all time. ( )
  Kayla.Krantz | Feb 14, 2020 |
The classic and probably the most famous of the locked-room mysteries. A group of strangers are all summoned to an island where they are picked off one by one - but who's behind the killings and why...?! This is a must-read for all mystery fans!
  DevilStateDan | Feb 11, 2020 |
I think I tried to read this years and years ago (like middle school) and put it down, but I picked it back up here and wow it's very clear to me why this is such a classic. I read it really over the course of two days, and the second day I could NOT put it down. The tension is so palpable, and I didn't feel compelled to really try to solve the mystery which made me sort of more able to relax. (Yes, I managed to not know how it ended until it ended, good for me!) There are obviously parts that have not aged well despite this updated version that uh tries to be slightly less racist (unclear if "soldiers" was part of the original text or not, but still woof) but it's kind of a roll of the dice anyway on that front. I had a good time with this and am glad I read it! ( )
  aijmiller | Jan 31, 2020 |
It is the most baffling mystery that Agatha Christie has ever written, and if any other writer has ever surpassed it for sheer puzzlement the name escapes our memory. We are referring, of course, to mysteries that have logical explanations, as this one has. It is a tall story, to be sure, but it could have happened.

The mystery is foolproof. The solution is fair. It all fits together at the end.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Charles Poore (pay site) (Feb 23, 1940)

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varho, HelkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

[None]
To

Carlo and Mary,

this is their book,

dedicated to them with much affection.
In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
'Don't you see? We're the Zoo .... Last night, we were hardly human any more. We're the Zoo ....'
This is a novel, and as such should NOT be combined with the play of the same title, nor with any of the various film adaptations.
Note that LibraryThing's "canonical title" is intended for the most common title, not the original or "accurate" one. Although the novel was originally titled Ten Little Niggers, far more have read it as And Then There Were None. Please also distinguish Agatha Christie's Work from Sherman Alexie's anthology, Ten Little Indians: Stories (2003). Thank you.
ISBN 0008125163 is for Perfect by Cecelia Ahern

First, there were ten—a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a little private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal—and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. A famous nursery rhyme is framed and hung in every room of the mansion:

"Ten little boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine. Nine little boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight. Eight little boys traveling in Devon; One said he'd stay there then there were seven. Seven little boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in half and then there were six. Six little boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five. Five little boys going in for law; One got in Chancery and then there were four. Four little boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three. Three little boys walking in the zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two. Two little boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one. One little boy left all alone; He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

When they realize that murders are occurring as described in the rhyme, terror mounts. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. Who has choreographed this dastardly scheme? And who will be left to tell the tale? Only the dead are above suspicion.
Ten nine eight till none
Methodically they died
Three clues to killer
(hardboiled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,601,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible