SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora (edition 2007)

by Scott Lynch (Autore)

8,294391777 (4.22)3 / 582
Vowing to bring down the crime boss running the city, a group of Gentlemen Bastards, led by Locke Lamora, sets out to beat the Capa at his own game, taking on other thieves, murderers, beggars, prostitutes, and thugs in the process.
Member:DoaneNerd
Title:The Lies of Locke Lamora
Authors:Scott Lynch (Autore)
Info:Del Rey (2007), 722 pages

Work Information

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber Jr. (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: I'm convinced that "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" books from Fritz Leiber are one of Lynch's sources of inspiration for Locke Lamora.
    Jhereg by Steven Brust (thegryph)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (ajwseven, Carnophile)
    Carnophile: Who'd win in a fight between the Locke Lamora gang and the Kaz Brekker gang? I NEED to see this. No, it's not a contest, but boy would that be a fun read.
    The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (simon211175)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (foggidawn)
    The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells (F_Urquhart)
    Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung (majkia)
    majkia: Although completely different settings, still the same lighthearted thievery going on.
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Melfice)
    Melfice: Each of these books delve into a world of thieves
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (2seven)
    Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover (nsblumenfeld)
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (Enyonam)
    Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks (mbdyer)
    mbdyer: Urban heroic fantasy with a touch of caper novel.
    The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: also features an underworld where a larger force disrupts business as usual
    Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: I thought the worlds/societies had a similar feel
    The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes (Luisali)
    Priest of Bones by Peter McLean (OwenRochester)
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (SockMonkeyGirl)

English (384)  German (3)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (391)
This held up well on the second reading. I had forgotten a number of plot points which helped, I'm sure. A throughly enjoyable read. ( )
  LeBleuUn | Nov 14, 2021 |
It is an absolute pleasure to be immersed in Locke Lamora's lies, schemes and interactions.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is the first in the so called Gentleman Bastard series, which is named for a group of con artist/thieves. The first book is set in a semi-realistic fantasy world in that familiar, if undefined, era of kingdoms and dukes and so on.

The book follows the exploits of Locke Lamora, who starts the book as a young boy swept into thieving by a Faginesque character called the Thiefmaker before he is sold to a more kindly and cunning con artist posing as a priest, Father Chains. Chains runs and trains a group of young thieves who call themselves the Gentlemen Bastards in the City of Camorr.

The book shifts back in forth in time between Lamora's training with the more or less kindly Father Chains and his "modern" complicated con on a noble couple. Complications involving the con, politics within the thieving world, and an outside force all lead to a terrific tale. I am being as vague as reasonably possible, as the thrill of discovery here is great.

The modern story is filled with cons, twists and intrigue, with the flashbacks setting up how Lamora events that will occur in the main story.

Scott Lynch has created a fantasy world that feels real, full of interesting characters and a fully realized setting in the Camorr. The political machinations within the world of thieves and the nobility are fascinating. Lynch's writing is by turns funny and brutal. He gives us witty banter, entertaining cons and plots, and the occasional bits of undeniably terrible bloody, gory, cruel violence.

There's even magic and fantastical creatures, but those elements don't overwhelm the story, so much as serve it. And serve it well.

This is a great story of cons and revenge; of thefts and derring do.

I look forward to more of Scott Lynch's lies as I plan to start the next book in the series immediately.

(I did listen to this as an audiobook. Michael Page's narration is excellent.) ( )
  Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |
I'd added this to my to-read shelf almost 3 years ago. I'd put off actually reading it because I was put off by it's length, since I hadn't heard much buzz about it since I'd initially encountered it. But that Goodreads rating of 4.3 kept it pinned near the top of all of my lists. It was time to either read it or junk it.
The book opens with a focus on 7 year old Locke, who is up to deeds that far exceed his chronological age. OH GREAT ... YET ANOTHER book about a boy genius, which, besides seemingly to saturate this genre, also is a good indicator that this is a Young Adult or even (shudder) a Middle School book. Was this to be YET ANOTHER Harry Potter/Ender's Game knockoff?
Well... I'm glad that I didn't let that deter me. It's not long before the story jumps ahead about 20 years, and we only see the young and maturing Locke in flashbacks (Interludes). There's also a hidden layer of First True Love Gone Bad (the main YA story element that I don't care for, being a 49 y/o adult), but that actually stays hidden for the remainder of the book.
Finally... the amount of profanity and violence in this book lifted the story completely out of YA waters, fully into Adult reading. YAY!
So in the end:
- NOT Young Adult, even if the first few chapters might lead you to think that
- Profanity off the charts
- Violence is explicit and gory
- This author might seriously have some mental issues regarding the TYPES of violence described.
- A brilliantly realized world, literally built on levels of mystery that I'm assuming will be explored in later books.

I had a great time with this book, and I can't wait to start the next one.

Audiobook notes: The narrator (Michael Page) did a fantastic job, both with distinct voices, as well as pronunciations. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
4.5 stelle e mezzo. La mia opinione, seppur striminzita, è nei commenti. ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
Wow, this book really delivered the goods! It was mostly very well written, with terrifically intricate plotting, intriguing world building, humor, crackling dialogue, gritty violence, and an exciting and extremely satisfying conclusion. There were some descriptive passages that were bewildering, mostly in the beginning. Still, that is a very minor quibble. This is a truly excellent novel. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abercrombie, JoeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een fris, origineel en fascinerend verhaal van een opwindend nieuw geluid in het fantasygenre.
For Jenny, this little world that was blessed
to have you peeking over my shoulder
while it took shape--
Love Always.
At the height of the long wet summer of the Seventy-Seventh Year of Sendovani, the Thiefmaker of Camorr paid a sudden and unannounced visit to the Eyeless Priest at the Temple of Perelandro, desperately hoping to sell him the Lamora boy.
We don't believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.
Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'
Rivaled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick'.
Catbridges were another legacy of the Eldren who’d ruled before the coming of men: narrow glass arches no wider than an ordinary man’s hips, arranged in pairs over most of Camorr’s canals and at several places along the Angevine River. Although they looked smooth, their glimmering surfaces were as rough as shark’s-hide leather; for those with a reasonable measure of agility and confidence, they provided the only convenient means of crossing water at many points. Traffic was always one-directional over each catbridge; ducal decree clearly stated that anyone going the wrong direction could be shoved off by those with the right-of-way.

I'm Locke Lamora,
Gentleman Bastard. Can I
Have your money, please?
(passion4reading)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,365,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible