Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir

Innocent Traitor (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Alison Weir

2,231905,181 (3.88)136
Lady Jane Grey was born into times of extreme danger. Child of a scheming father and a ruthless mother, for whom she was merely a pawn in a dynastic power game with the highest stakes, she lived a live in thrall to political machinations and lethal religious fervour. Jane's astonishing and essentially tragic story was played out during one of the most momentous periods of English history. As a great-niece of Henry VIII, and the cousin of Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I, she grew up realize that she could never throw off the chains of her destiny. Her honesty, intelligence and strength of character carry the reader through all the vicious twists of Tudor power politics, to her nine-day reign and its unbearably poignant conclusion.… (more)
Member:ncw
Title:Innocent Traitor
Authors:Alison Weir
Info:Random House Uk Ltd (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 432 pages

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir (2007)

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (shamicnic)
    shamicnic: This historical fiction book preceeds "Innocent Traitor" by telling the story of Anne Boleyn from the intriguing point of view of her sister, Mary Boleyn.
    Nine Days a Queen: The Short Life and Reign of Lady Jane Grey by Ann Rinaldi (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are about the 9 day reign of Lady Jane Grey.
    A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell (shamicnic)
    shamicnic: This is another historical fiction piece that readers may enjoy.
    Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman (lanaing)

English (89)  Italian (1)  All languages (90)
Positively loved this book. Story of Queen (Lady) Jane Grey told from the points of view of several different people, Lane Jane, her mother, her nurse, Queen Mary, Queen Katherine Parr as well as several male narrators, her father, and John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. The book is face paced and I had a hard time putting it down - a definite must read. ( )
  ChrisCaz | Feb 23, 2021 |
I liked this book. It was told in first person narrative by a variety of different women surrounding and responsible for Jane Grey. I did not find Jane Grey that likeable of a character-personally, she was just a little too....good. But, the novel was very detailed and I enjoyed a look into that period in history. I had not realized that Jane openly-in front of witnesses-refused the crown. I also had not realized that Queen Mary had her killed inorder to expedite her marriage. Jane is ultimately a tragic figure.
This book was good but very slow paced for a fiction novel. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Beautifully written, but rather upsetting. ( )
  Happenence | Oct 2, 2020 |
Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir is the engrossing story of Lady Jane Grey. She was the daughter of scheming, ambitious parents who are at first disappointed that their first child was a female, but all too soon are plotting a dangerous future for her. Through her mother, Jane is a Tudor, niece to Henry VIII. Being that close to royalty brought great privileges but in the 15th century it was never safe to have even the slightest claim to the throne.

Jane is raised as a pawn, first with an eye to marrying her to Henry VIII’s son, Edward but when Edward is dying, the protestant powers behind him scheme to have him declare Jane as his heir, in order to prevent his sister, Mary, a staunch Catholic, from taking the throne. Jane, herself, had no ambitions in this direction, would rather have been left alone with her books and meditations, but at age fourteen, she is forced to first marry into a powerful family and then to accept the throne. Meanwhile Princess Mary having learned of Edward’s death, proclaimed herself Queen. In only a few short days, the people and the nobles have declared for Mary, sealing Jane’s fate.

This is a well written, stirring account of this young woman’s life. Weir skilfully weaves British history into an enthralling story and gives life to these historic figures. With it’s riveting plot and rich descriptions, this book would interest anyone interested in English history. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 15, 2020 |
Even avid followers of the Tudor saga may find this a bit of tough going. Weir is a talented writer, and this historical novel about Lady Jane Grey, reluctant Queen of England for nine days, is undoubtedly well-researched.

But it is slow. My lord, it is slow.

Grey was only 15 when, through the machinations of her ambitious parents, she was put forth as successor to Edward, only son of Henry VIII, an alternative to the Catholic Princess Mary. And at times, it seems Weir is intent on guiding us through each and every day of those 15 years, and of the eight months between Grey's abdication and her execution.

Part of the problem is that the young Lady Jane -- at least, in Weir's characterization -- is a self-righteous little prig. While she was undeniably ill-used by those in power, it's hard to develop much sympathy for her. Another part is Weir's use of rotating narrators, probably necessitated by the fact that it's got to be nearly impossible to produce a readable book narrated largely from the point of view of a pre-teen girl.

There are only two ways, really, to tell the story -- as a brief footnote to the history of the Tudor dynasty, or as a microscopic examination of the political machinations of a group of power-hungry men who would stop at nothing to seize and retain their power. Weir has chosen the latter, and it makes a long, hard haul for the reader. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Apr 29, 2019 |
'If my faults deserve punishment, my youth at least, and my imprudence, were worthy of excuse. God and posterity will show me more favour.

Written by Lady Jane Grey in the Tower of London,
February 1554
This book
is dedicated to
my dear mother
and to Jim
who has been a father to me.

It is also dedicated
to Samuel Marston
to mark his first birthday.
It is over.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,239,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible