Defector, the by Daniel Silva

Defector, the (edition 2010)

by Daniel Silva (Author)

Series: Gabriel Allon (9)

Gabriel Allon's idyllic world is once again thrown into turmoil with shocking news from London. The defector and former Russian intelligence officer Grigori Bulganov, who saved Gabriel's life in Moscow, has vanished without a trace. British intelligence is sure he was a double agent all along, but Gabriel knows better. He also knows he made a promise--a promise that leads to a deadly duel of nerve and wits with one of the world's most ruthless men: the murderous Russian oligarch and arms dealer Ivan Kharkov.… (more)
Member:dferdiaz
Title:Defector, the
Authors:Daniel Silva (Author)
Info:Imprint unknown (2010), 472 pages

Work Information

The Defector by Daniel Silva

For more reviews and bookish posts visit: https://www.ManOfLaBook.com

The Defector by Daniel Silva follows the adventures of Israeli agent/art restorer Gabriel Allon and his team. This is the ninth novel is this series, full of international travel and suspense.

Gabriel Allon is looking forward to finishing restoring a piece of art for the Vatican. He is on his honeymoon with his new wife, Chiara when he hears that Grigori Bulganov, a Russian intelligence officer who defected, has vanished.

British intelligence, thinks Grigori has undefected, but Gabriel is not convinced. What Gabriel doesn’t know is that he is going to be facing ruthless Russian oligarchs with almost unlimited resource, and backing of the state.

It has been a while since I read a Gabriel Allon book, and I was glad to be back. All of my favorite characters are back, and are growing, as well as facing challenges across the globe.

The Defector by Daniel Silva picks up from where the previous book, Moscow Rules, ended. I all fairness, it has been a long time since I read it, so I had to go back and read a quick synopsis on it. I did, however, remember all the characters who, like old friends, I never get tired of.

The book has a thrilling and complex plot, not too complex to follow though. I think Mr. Silva did think it was too complex because he kept repeating himself a lot. I didn’t care for the repetitiveness, and while the plot was complex, it wasn’t convoluted and really didn’t demand much from the reader.

The stars of this book are the characters, which I feel I can say for the whole series. They are interesting, as well as intelligent. The author built his cast as gray people who can mix anywhere. People with extraordinary skills who don’t stand out in a crowd. Unlike movie spies, who stand out everywhere they go.

The amount of research done in this book is certainly impressive. From the locations, to events (which I had a difficult time to discern which ones are fictional and which ones are made up), to tactics. This book was a thrilling ride, a page turner which will leave you full of adrenaline from beginning to end. ( )
  ZoharLaor | Dec 16, 2021 |
Daniel Silva's,The Defector, is the sequel to his eighth book of the series, Moscow Rules. The defector is Colonel Grigori Bulganov whom Gabriel Allon has helped escape from Russia and who has been granted asylum in London, and who has now disappeared. Allon discovers that he was abducted by Russian agents with the help of Bulganov's ex-wife. Allon also knows that "Ivan Kharkov, Russian oligarch and international arms dealer," is responsible for the abduction. Kharkov hates Allon, who has arranged for the defection of Kharkov's wife and children, and has vowed to kill him and to recover his family.
In an attempt to free Grigori, Allon and his team follow the motto of The Office: "By way of deception, thou shalt do war." They manage to lure Grigori's ex-wife Irina Bulganova to a villa on Lake Como, Italy, where they learn through her interrogation of the mysterious, Anatoly, the agent who had lured her to London to assist in the abduction of Grigori.
To learn Anatoly's identity, Allon travels to Elena Kharkov's Adirondack Mountain hideout. While there, he is given the devastating news that his wife, Chiara, has been abducted and her body guards have been murdered. In the midst of his grief, Allon returns to visit his former wife, Leah, who lives in a psychotic state constantly recycling the moments of terror when she is severely burned and their son, Dani, killed. Silva uses their dialog to paint vividly Gabriel Allon's anguish.
As one might imagine, the novel continues after this to a bloody and furiously paced conclusion.
  RonWelton | Sep 9, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
The Defector is a follow-on from another Silva book, "Moscow Rules". Having read the earlier books in this series isn't necessary in order to follow this book, but neither would it hurt. The Silva series features a sometimes art restorer, sometimes Israeli assassin, Gabriel Allon. In this novel, Allon hunts down several ex-KGB agents who kidnapped his wife and another Russian who Allon had previously rescued. Assassins are generally and logically portrayed as the bad guy, yet surprising to me is that Gabriel Allon manages to remain a likable character.

rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
When Grigori Bulganov disappears in London, Gabriel Allon decides to rescue him from the hands of his abductor, Ivan Kharkov. Kharkov then kidnaps Chiara, Gabriel's wife as retaliation for Gabriel helping Kharkov's wife and children escape his clutches. Allon works with his old team to eliminate his nemesis. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
"The Defector" is the perfect book for fans of well-crafted thrillers to pack in their tote bags for a day at the beach, the kind of page-turner that captures the reader from the opening chapter and doesn't let go.
added by Shortride | editAssociated Press, Jerry Harkavy (Aug 3, 2009)

And yet, for all of its shortcomings, "The Defector" held me. Maybe it's Silva's skill in describing the flavor of such different places as London, Paris, Tel Aviv, Zurich, Washington, Moscow and more, or in making his plots deliciously complicated.

Daniel Silvaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hargitai, IvánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.

-- MACHIAVELLI
For Marilyn Ducksworth,
for many years of friendship,
support, and laughter.

And as always, for my wife, Jamie,
and my children, Nicolas and Lilly.
Pytor Luzhkov was about to be killed, and for that he was grateful.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0718155270, 0141042761

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,241,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible