Under the Table: Saucy Tales from Culinary…

Under the Table: Saucy Tales from Culinary School

by Katherine Darling

I really love food books, and this was one of the most fun I have read in a while. Katherine has a great voice and I enjoyed spending time with her and her classmates. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Slight but amusing memoir from Darling. We see some recipes, some fun bits from school, a tiny glimpse of her life outside of school, and many cute anecdotes about her classmates and the chefs. I liked it but if you quiz me about it in a year I'll draw a blank. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
All I can say is....eh. I got about halfway though and really had no interest in how it ended, so I didn't finish it. ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was an okay book for vacation time. Expected more "saucy" stories judging by the title alone, but the author is very much a goodie-two-shoes so the book is fairly tame. ( )
  Milda-TX | Oct 16, 2011 |
I couldn't put this book down. I had never heard of Darling nor was I aware of anything she had done, but the book's description was tempting enough to draw me in, and I'm glad it did. Darling deftly relayed enough details of her coursework at culinary school to be interesting without putting so much detail in that it became burdensome. Although I will likely never try any of the recipes she included, I appreciated the offer - and they always appeared in timely sections, namely in the same chapter when she described her own failed attempt at a similar dish. But I found her effortless inclusion of cooking theory and culinary history within the narrative flow of her text the most remarkable. I was learning about things I had never heard of - and found so interesting I wanted to know more.

As a memoir, it's a little shaky. Her inclusion of detailed conversations seemed a little too tight, and the flow of some of the narrative was a little too tidy, but overall, a great read and recommended to all the foodies out there ( )
  pbadeer | Jun 13, 2011 |
"[Katherine Darling's] days studying at the prestigious French Culinary Institute in New York have resulted in a charming memoir. Oh, she writes with uninhibited zest about the blood, suet and tears of culinary boot camp. When a classroom practical joke left the backside of her chef's pants sliced open, she 'fled the room in hot pursuit of office supplies' -- a stapler to mend them so that she could get back to trussing poultry. But she spares us the customary gratuitous coarseness, and she keeps a refreshingly steady focus on cooking, providing two-dozen delicious, reader-friendly recipes along the way."

A "Saveur magazine" chef describes her haphazard experiences as a student at New York City's French Culinary Institute, a journey during which she and her classmates tackled a range of challenges from veal calves and fish heads to broken eggs and cutthroat teachers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,583,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible