The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and…

by Steven Pressfield

Member:giorgio_v
Title:The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles
Authors:Steven Pressfield
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2003), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Tags:kaizen, writing

The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield

I bought this book for my creative daughter. She kept experiencing roadblocks and I had heard that this book would help. When she was finished with it, a day later, I read it as well.

This is an excellent book about showing up for your life. With the understanding of 'do no harm' this book encourages the reader to follow their path through all the roadblocks put in the way, not only the external, but the internal as well. He reminds us that often it's about just plain showing up day after day that helps us to greatness.

I give this book an A. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
The first two sections of this book - why creatives often encounter resistance to doing their work and how to overcome that resistance - were fantastic and very helpful. The third section went a little off the rails for me, but that's OK. The first two sections were well worth it. ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |
The whole book focuses on (overcoming) resistance. Though the book is relatively short, many sentences carry deep meaning and require thinking before moving on. Not an easy read. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
This is the kind of book that can help solve you creative problems when you’re stuck in not being able to produce that work of art you are trying to.

Steven Pressfield provides you with a lot of ways to overcome your limitations, be they fear, bad habits, lousy excuses, low self-esteem, or whatever hold you back from doing what you have to do. For this is the book that does not teach you how to make the thing in itself, but how to overcome the major obstacle in getting this done: yourself.

With a lot of short chapters that cover pretty much everything you can think of as an excuse, being this a short book in itself, you can’t even try to excuse yourself from not reading it. Try it. It will be worthy. ( )
  adsicuidade | Sep 8, 2018 |
for BERNAY
I get up, take a shower, have breakfast.
Foreword:  Steven Pressfield wrote The War of Art for me.
You know, Hitler wanted to be an artist. At eighteen he took his inheritance, seven hundred kronen, and moved to Vienna to live and study. He applied to the Academy of Fine Arts and later the School of Architecture. Ever see one of his paintings? Neither have I. Resistance beat him. Call it overstatement but I'll say it anyway: it was easier for Hitler to start World War II then it was for him to face a blank square of canvas.

Think of The War of Art as tough love... for yourself.

Since 2002, The War of Art has inspired people around the world to defeat "Resistance"; to recognize and knock down dream-blocking barriers and to silence the naysayers within us.Resistance kicks everyone's butt, and the desire to defeat it is equally as universal. The War of Art identifies the enemy that every one of us must face, outlines a battle plan to conquer this internal foe, then pinpoints just how to achieve the greatest success.Though it was written for writers, it has been embraced by business entrepreneurs, actors, dancers, painters, photographers, filmmakers, military service members and thousands of others around the world.

The Art of War meets "The Artist's Way" in this no-nonsense, profoundly inspiring guide to overcoming creative blocks of every kind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

"In this powerful, straight-from-the-hip examination of the internal obstacles to success, bestselling author Steven Pressfield shows readers how to identify, defeat, and unlock the inner barriers to creativity. The War of Art is an inspirational, funny, well-aimed kick in the pants guaranteed to galvanize every would-be artist, visionary, or entrepreneur."--Back cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible