The Waste Land and Other Poems by T. S.…

The Waste Land and Other Poems (original 1922; edition 2016)

by T. S. Eliot (Author)

April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain . . . Published in 1922, The Waste Land was the most revolutionary poem of its time, offering a devastating vision of modern civilisation which has lost none of its power as we enter a new century.… (more)
Member:mateoj
Title:The Waste Land and Other Poems
Authors:T. S. Eliot (Author)
Info:Digireads.com (2016), 62 pages
Collections:Read on Kindle, Your library
Rating:*

The Waste Land and Other Poems by T. S. Eliot (1922)

English (26)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (27)

No me ha llamado nada, regular, nada especial. ( )
  trusmis | Nov 28, 2020 |
What can I say, Eliot had an incredible command of language. Not all of the poems hit me as hard as others, but many of them got my brain churning with ideas. Even in the poems that didn't leave an impact were artistically brilliant and super fun to read. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
In the upcoming book The World Broke in Two by Bill Goldstein, Virginia Woolf is pleased by hearing "The Wasteland" read by Eliot. Several times she mentions that she has not read the poem but only listened to it. I did the same with the Audible edition. There is something to gain in listening. ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

I first heard of The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufock while listening to a podcast of Entitled Opinions (thanks Tom) last winter. That podcast concerned Dante, however I found Eliot's images both vivid and modern. I then mentally shelved such for a future read. This present week appeared apt. While sorting through Marx and, then, Derrida on Marx and Shakespeare I found the prevailing winds favorable. Diving into such, I didn't care for the titular poem in the collection. The Waste Land and especially Eliot's notes for such strikes me as mere wanking. Oh well, verse isn't my métier, especially those alluding to the Grail. I did like Marina and Two Choruses from 'The Rock'

I journeyed to London, to the timekept City
Where the River flows, with foreign flotations.
There I was told: we have too many churches.

jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
I don't really know what to say about this except "read it." How do I review The Waste Land without writing a lengthy academic paper (which, btw, I have done)? It's a gorgeous poem, full of imagery and symbolism. Read it, then read it again. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |

T. S. Eliotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eliot, T. S.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Let us go then, you and I, / When the evening is spread out against the sky / Like a patient etherised upon a table; / Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets, / The muttering retreats / Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels / And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells; / Streets that follow like a tedious argument / Of insidious intent / To lead you to an overwhelming question... / Oh, do not ask, 'What is is?' / Let us go and make our visit.
This work (Harcourt) contains the following selected poems:
- The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
- Preludes
- Gerontion
- Sweeney Among the Nightingales
- The Waste Land
- Ash-Wednesday
- Journey of the Magi
- Marina
- Landscapes (I. New Hampshire; II Virginia; III Usk)
- Two Choruses from 'The Rock'

Please keep it separate from works with different selections and contents.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,966,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible