The Unsung Hero

by Suzanne Brockmann

Series: Troubleshooters (1)

1,0194115,694 (3.89)28
"After a near-fatal head injury, navy SEAL lieutenant Tom Paoletti catches a terrifying glimpse of an international terrorist in his New England hometown. When he calls for help, the navy dismisses the danger as injury-induced imaginings. In a desperate, last-ditch effort to prevent disaster, Tom creates his own makeshift counterterrorist team, assembling his most loyal officers, two elderly war veterans, a couple of misfit teenagers, and Dr. Kelly Ashton-the sweet "girl next door" who has grown into a remarkable woman. The town's infamous bad boy, Tom has always longed for Kelly. Now he has one final chance for happiness, one last chance to win her heart, and one desperate chance to save the day.… (more)

This is a great book if you're looking for 40 pages of adventure embedded within 350 pages of romantic relationships that develop at a snail's pace. ( )
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
Most of Brockmann's romances have these common details: Navy SEALs, kidnappings, an important grandmother, a terrorist or two, great looking people with hard bodies, and let's not forget roiling sexual turmoil. Unsung Hero is no different. Tom Paoletti and Kelly Ashton's conundrum is that they have history dating back to high school: Kelly was too young for next door neighbor Tom so he ran away to join the military a month early. Sweet and innocent Kelly was left with unrequited teenager lust never to be forgotten. But now, sixteen years later, Kelly is all grown up and just happens to be visiting her father. Tom is also back in town trying to convalesce after getting caught in a bomb blast. Kelly never lost the burn for Tom, so much so that even though her father is dying of terminal cancer, all she can think about is getting the doomed man back in bed. She needs to return to her fantasy about Tom and his um...hard body as soon as possible. Even though Tom is damaged goods, his one track mind is no better. He too carries the long burning torch of lust. He eyeballs Kelly's perfect ass as they blithely discuss her father's terminal cancer. Insert eye roll here. So sex aside, while Tom is home he catches a glimpse of a terrorist long thought dead. His superiors think the bomb has altered his reality and refuse to take him seriously, leaving Tom no choice but to cobble together his own counterterrorist team to take the man down. ( )
  SeriousGrace | May 16, 2021 |
Somewhere amid my research as to what to read next, this book came up as a recommendation - probably because I've enjoyed Linda Howard novels. And I'm glad it did. At first I wasn't comfortable with the narrator's voice (William Dufris) - I thought his rough voice was a cliched choice for the narration - but I went back to the book after a week and now I think his voice was just right and he did a great job to the point that I'll look for other books he's read.

The novel is way too long, and I'm on the edge of giving it a half star less because of it, but then you may give this novel a miss and it really is quite good and has some beautifully tender moments. I enjoyed the subplots, which were so strong it was like triple value for money! They were just as engaging if not more so than Kelly and Tom's story. First, edit out the terrorist sighting storyline - that was the least interesting by far.

I see that Suzanne Brockmann has written dozens of novels and I'm sure I'll be listening to another before long. ( )
  Okies | Feb 3, 2021 |

Navy SEAL Lt. Tom Paoletti is returning to his hometown of Baldwin’s Bridge, Massachusetts to recuperate from a serious head injury. His behavior has been somewhat erratic and he's suffering from headaches and dizziness. As soon as he arrives at the airport he spots a man who he believes to be a presumed dead terrorist known as The Merchant. He contacts his superiors but they think he's suffering from paranoid delusions brought on by his injury. Even Tom begins to doubt what he saw, but when the man turns up around town a few more times, Tom becomes more and more convinced it is The Merchant and that he's there to plan a bombing.

Dr. Kelly Ashton is back in Baldwin's Bridge to nurse her father, Charles Ashton, who has cancer and only has a few months to live. The Ashtons and the Paolettis have been next-door neighbors and sixteen years ago they were friends, and almost lovers.

Another story thread features Tom’s niece, Mallory, who is followed in the park one day by a shy, geeky young college student named David Sullivan who wants to photograph and sketch Mallory for his graphic novel's heroine, Nightshade.

There is a whole lineup of Suzanne Brockmann’s Navy SEAL romances. I read a couple a few years ago and they are set all over the world. Sure, some of the characters are stereotypes, but the romances are both sweet and sexy. I plan to read a few more in the future.

1442 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |

Brockmann, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For the brave men and women who fought for freedom during the Second World War. My most sincere and humble thanks.
Prologue
Spring

When both the Seahawk and the pilot took a direct hit, things went from bad to worse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,927,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible