Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How…

Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Dambisa Moyo

In "Dead Aid," Dambisa Moyo describes the state of postwar development policy in Africa that has channeled billions of dollars in aid but failed to reduce poverty and increase growth. He offers a new, more hopeful vision of how to address the desperate poverty that plagues millions.
Member:LireEnRoute
Title:Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa
Authors:Dambisa Moyo
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2009), Hardcover, 208 pages

Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa by Dambisa Moyo (2009)

English (19)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Zambia
  oirm42 | May 21, 2018 |
"In the past fifty years, more than $1 trillion in development-related aid has
been transferred from rich countries to Africa. Has this assistance improved
the lives of Africans? No. In fact, across the continent, the recipients of
this aid are not better off as a result of it, but worse - much worse. Moyo
describes the state of postwar development policy in Africa today and
unflinchingly confronts one of the greatest myths of our time: that billions of
dollars in aid sent from wealthy countries to developing African nations has
helped to reduce poverty and increase growth. In fact, poverty levels continue
to escalate and growth rates have steadily declined - and millions continue to
suffer." --jacket
  collectionmcc | Mar 6, 2018 |
Why aid is not working and how there is a better way for Africa
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Sending aid to some parts of Africa is like throwing $ down a bottomless hole. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |

she gives a concise critique of global aid, with interesting examples. It's very easy to read.

Examples and cases are analysed in a scientific and thorough way.

The statement is challenging and brought with good faith and backed up with good work. If not make you see things completely differently like it claims, it can add a perspective to many cases.

It is not realistic to end development aid in short term because it is a very huge and complex reality. This main message is thoroughly repeated and too simple.

The book was expensive: 23euro = 30 dollars for a small/medium book.

As a phd in economy the writer knows how to market stuff, even books.. : a simple style, an enthousiast and clear message, a controversial topic, etc ( )
  ToonC | Aug 19, 2014 |
Interview, not so much about the content of the book:
Dambisa Moyo is having her moment. … Moyo believes this dependency relationship is perpetuated by Western governments and glorified by the celebrities who have made Africa their cause du jour. … The question—for Moyo and for Bono, for governments and for celebrities—is not really about whether to help. It's how to help better.
added by baumgartner | editNewsWeek, Lisa Miller (Mar 30, 2009)

The danger is that this book will get more attention than it deserves. It has become fashionable to attack aid to Africa; an overdose of celebrity lobbying and compassion fatigue have prompted harsh critiques of what exactly aid has achieved in the past 50 years.

I doubt that many of Africa's problems can be attributed to aid. It is, in my view, something of a sideshow.

I think that Moyo's message is over-optimistic. She implies that, were aid cut, African governments would respond by turning to other sources of finance that would make them more accountable. I think this exaggerates the opportunity for alternative finance and underestimates the difficulties African societies face.

African societies face problems deeper than their dependence on aid. Divided by ethnic loyalties, they are too large to be nations. Yet with only tiny economies, they lack the scale to be effective states. As a result the vital public goods of security and accountability cannot adequately be provided. In their absence the valuable natural assets that many countries possess become liabilities instead of opportunities for prosperity.

Critics of Dambisa Moyo's Proposal Paul Collier, professor of economics at Oxford, and one of Moyo's teachers, believes that her message is overly optimistic. He suggests that donors must insist on transparent budgeting and accountability on the receiving side. African societies don't need predominantly money but help with peacekeeping,security guarantees, trade privileges and promoting good governance. Other critics fear that Moyo's harsh judgment of aid will encourage Western governments to cut back on their aid promises, while there are no other solutions in place. Whether one agrees with her argument or not, Dambisa Moyo offers an accessible summary of anti-aid arguments based on statistics and anecdotal evidence bolstered with an extensive bibliography. She deeply wishes for a better outcome on both sides: for those desperate to survive on less than a US$1 a-day in sub-Saharan Africa and those who want to help.

To the Excellencies and officials of Europe: We suffer enormously in Africa. Help us. We have problems in Africa. We lack rights as children. We have war and illness, we lack food . . . We want to study, and we ask you to help us to study so we can be like you, in Africa.

Message found on the bodies of Guinean teenagers Yaguine Koita and Fode Tounkara, stowaways who died attempting to reach Europe in the landing gear of an airliner.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second-best time is now.

African proverb
For Peter Bauer
We live in a culture of aid.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,287,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible