The Book of Kells : an illustrated…

The Book of Kells : an illustrated introduction to the manuscript in… (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Bernard Meehan

The Book of Kells is the most spectacular of a group of manuscripts created in Ireland and northern Britain between the seventh and tenth centuries, a period when Irish monasticism was in the vanguard of Christian culture. Its earliest history remains controversial but it was in the keeping of the monastery of Kells, Co. Meath, for most of the Middle Ages - hence its name - and has been in the library of Trinity College Dublin, since the mid-seventeenth century. It is a masterpiece of medieval art - a brilliantly decorated copy of the four Gospels with full-page illustrations of Christ, the Virgin and Child and the Evangelists, and a wealth of smaller decorative painting that does not always relate to the sacred text. The strange imagination displayed in the pages, the impeccable technique and the very fine state of its preservation make it an object of endless fascination.This edition includes the most important of the fully decorated pages plus a series of enlargements showing the almost unbelievable minuteness of the detail - spiral and interlace patterns, human and animal ornament - a combination of high seriousness and humor. Accompanying the illustrations is a new, up-to-date text by Bernard Meehan, the current Keeper of Manuscripts at Trinity College Dublin. It provides a scholarly analysis of these exuberant inventions, the artists, the text and the writing, and a full account of the historical background to the miraculous world of the Book of Kells.… (more)
Member:TiffanyHeth
Title:The Book of Kells : an illustrated introduction to the manuscript in Trinity College, Dublin
Authors:Bernard Meehan
Info:New York, N.Y. : Thames and Hudson, 1994.

The Book of Kells: An Illustrated Introduction to the Manuscript in Trinity College Dublin by Bernard Meehan (1994)

This was a difficult book to read at first. Then I got the hang of the abbreviations and citations and it became clearer. I am in awe of the Kells. The artistry, the colors, the intricacy, the mystery of the kells is enticing. You can look at them for hours and see something new every moment. The are the "work, not of men, but of angels." ( )
  bcrowl399 | Oct 9, 2018 |
Illumination art, 110 illustrations.
  SHCG | Mar 22, 2016 |
I and Pangur Bán my cat
'Tis a like task we are at:
Hunting mice is his delight,
Hunting words I sit all night.Better far than praise of men
'Tis to sit with book and pen;
Pangur bears me no ill will
He too plies his simple skill. Oftentimes a mouse will stray
In the hero Pangur's way;
Oftentimes my keen thought set
Takes a meaning in its net. 'Gainst the wall he sets his eye
Full and fierce and sharp and sly;
'Gainst the wall of knowledge I
All my little wisdom try. Practice every day has made
Pangur perfect in his trade;
I get wisdom day and night
Turning darkness into light. ( )
  Iskandar_LT | Jan 2, 2011 |
IR/00083
  TRIARC | Aug 12, 2010 |
A quick but academic read about the illuminated manuscripts copied by monks in ancient Ireland. Luckily it is heavily illustrated to avoid my head spinning from the frequent use of language specific to the trade of manuscript studies ( )
1 vote Othemts | Jun 25, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,495,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible