Fade Out

by Rachel Caine

Series: Morganville Vampires (7)

"Without the evil vampire Bishop ruling over the town of Morganville, life has changed--dramatically. The resident vampires have made major concessions to the human population. With their newfound freedoms, Claire Danvers and her friends are almost starting to feel comfortable again--almost. Now Claire can actually concentrate on her studies, and her friend Eve joins the local theater company. Yet when one of Eve's cast mates goes missing after starting work on a short documentary, Eve suspects the worst. As she and Claire investigate, they soon realize that not only is the subject of the film the vampires themselves, but that this project is a whole lot bigger--and way more dangerous--than anyone suspected."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)
    Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: The next book in the series

English (35)  Spanish (2)  All languages (37)
Though I enjoyed Carpe Corpus I didn't devour it like I had the first three books. The 'Bishop' arc was three books long (not including the cameo at the end of Book 3) and by Book 6 I was more than ready for it to be over with. I had begun to really enjoy reading about Myrnin and was growing impatient with Amelie and Co. Fade Out, more so than the last few chapters of Carpe Corpus was mostly about tying up loose ends. The crazy weird computer Ada, Amelie's grief over Sam's death, the uneasy truce between vampires and humans.

While things are pretty much the same for the Glass House residents, there was more tension now. The cracks in Amelie's armor have begun to become noticeable to the point where disrespect has become the norm almost. There are roving gangs of humans hellbent on violence--towards anyone who gets in their way, but using 'justice' against vampires as their rallying cry. Vampires who don't want to take sides in the conflict, who don't want to be tamed pushing the limits of Amelie's control over Morganville. Oliver, up to his usual tricks of course, though we see a different side of him this book. Not a softer side, but perhaps a little bit of what motivates him. Partially. A smidge at least.

As I said this is a tying up loose ends and Myrnin's crazy computer Ada is the big one. Myrnin still isn't what you would call...stable...or even sane. Probably 'recklessless dangerous' should enter into anyone's vocabulary if they go near him on their own accord. Ada is really an extension of this--she was a lab assistant that he turned into a vampire and then killed in a crazy rage and then used her brain to make a monstrosity that became the hub for Morganville. None of that should make you say 'it makes perfect sense!' because it really shouldn't. Her going crazy...well it was really only a matter of time before she went too crazy. I felt bad for her--it--in the end though.

Giant spiders are so not cool and less said about those the better.

As a transitional book, and that's what this felt like, it worked really well. With the end results of the events of the book it pushes everything in a different direction. Powerplays, personal relationships, friendships, hell even Amelie's ability to keep people inside Morganville is brought into question. The next book, Kiss of Death, isn't due out until May 2010. ( )
  lexilewords | Dec 28, 2023 |
I'm seven books in and only really started enjoying the series a bit more, now. Though that could be due to the issues in my personal life, I'm finding it hard to enjoy much at the moment lol. There's a bit more action and humour in this one. Hope the 8th is just as good :) ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

So for the first time since I started this series, I tried the audio version. I wasn't too impressed with the narrator. She did for the voice of the girls, but guys voices were way to 'frat bro' for me, and not at all how I've seen them so far. But despite that, I still enjoyed this book.

With Bishop finally gone the story took on a slightly less 'imminent death' sort of feel. Which was a needed break in the story. But that doesn't mean this book was boring. It had a lot of character development, especially for Micheal, Eve, Oliver, Amelie, and Myrnin. It left a lot open and left me itching to find out what's next for them. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Another great Morganville installment, although with things slowing down a bit plot-wise, you can tell Caine had to struggle a tiny bit more to introduce the conflict and events. While some bits felt a little like filler, the characters and creepy denizens of Morganville kept the story strong.

With a tentative peace existing between the humans and vampires of Morganville, Claire hopes that she and her three Glass House friends can relax a little. Of course, it isn't a normal life; Claire is still working for the brilliant but unstable Myrnin and pays allegiance to cold but fair Amelie as Protector. Her good friend Eve seems to have found a more interesting best bud in her eccentric fellow actress Kim, who may also have designs on Shane. Myrnin's sentient computer Ada is acting stranger every day. But at least there aren't vicious enemies breathing down her neck every second. Or are there?

Without a true "main villain" to pull the plot together, it spirals into substories, most of them connected in the end. Fortunately, it definitely can't be said that character development suffers here; Claire continues to get layers added (and become more and more awesome), we see more human facets of Amelie, the nature of some vampire relationships and histories, and further new characters with new motives. Notable are the sweet and grounded relationship between Shane and Claire, the fantastic and hilarious bond between Claire and Myrnin, and the continued kinship between the inseperable Glass House four. And of course there is a uniquely equal balance of humor and horror, sweetness and conflict, to keep the story afloat. It's kind of nice to know that the author can still nicely sustain her story without a concrete "main arc" running through it.
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
as always loving this series I just can't get enough of the glass house 4, Each books is just a new adventure for them it's so exciting
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |

Rachel Caineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eve Rosser's high-pitched scream rang out through the entire house, bouncing off every wall, and, like a taser applied to the spine, it brought Claire out of a pleasant, drowsy cuddle with her boyfriend.

Without the evil vampire Bishop ruling over the town of Morganville, the resident vampires have made major concessions to the human population. With their newfound freedom, Claire Danvers and her friends are almost starting to feel comfortable again…

Now Claire can actually concentrate on her studies, and her friend Eve joins the local theatre company. But when one of Eve’s castmates goes missing after starting work on a short documentary, Eve suspects the worst. Claire and Eve soon realise that this film project, featuring the vampires themselves, is a whole lot bigger – and way more dangerous – than anyone suspected…

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,738,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible