The Help. Movie Tie-In by Kathryn Stockett

The Help. Movie Tie-In (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kathryn Stockett (Author)

26,207142887 (4.36)1 / 1162
In Jackson, Mississippi, in 1962, there are lines that are not crossed. With the civil rights movement exploding all around them, three women start a movement of their own, forever changing a town and the way women--black and white, mothers and daughters--view one another.
Member:Aly23
Title:The Help. Movie Tie-In
Authors:Kathryn Stockett (Author)
Info:Berkley (2011)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (2009)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Alliebadger, Alie, Neale, readysetgo)
    Neale: Both deal with racial issues and are slow moving but enjoyable
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user)
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (laytonwoman3rd)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (jennyandaustin)
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (olimamma)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (paulkid)
    paulkid: Race relations on different continents, told from multiple female perspectives.
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (susiesharp)
    Roots by Alex Haley (mcenroeucsb)
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works are written from the perspective of a white female who has to gain the trust of her subjects -- African Americans who have suffered before and during the civil rights era -- to tell their story. In the end, they become friends and everyone contributes to the small amount of progress being made.… (more)
    Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (teelgee, BookshelfMonstrosity, momofthreewi)
    Substitute Me by Lori Tharps (DDay)
    DDay: This recommendation might be a little out there, but this book is about a white couple in NYC who hire a young black woman to be their nanny. It's modern look at the issue of race and the role of domestic workers in a family. Sort of a chance to see how things have changed since the 60s and what issues are still present.… (more)
    Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven (conceptDawg)
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (MrsPeachum)
    Cold Rock River by J.L. Miles (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both deal with the disparity between the races in the 60s. The Help focuses more on the present (the 60's) while Cold Rock River is set in a more rural, less gentrified area with excerpts from a journal of a slave.
    Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White by Brooke Newman (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Black domestics in white households in civil rights-era USA.
    Bound South by Susan Rebecca White (infiniteletters)
    The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell: A Novel by Loraine Despres (susiesharp)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (krizia_lazaro)
    Your Blues Ain't Like Mine by Bebe Moore Campbell (mcenroeucsb)
    The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Help is a moving novel about a young white woman who discovers the effects of racism on black women and their families in mid-1960s Mississippi; The Dry Grass of August portrays similar discoveries for a white teenage girl in the mid-1950s.… (more)

1960s (94)

English (1,365)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (11)  French (6)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Estonian (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,427)
I loved everything about this book. It’s a tale of love friendships, in the unlikeliest of times and circumstances. It’s the other side of Gone with the Wind. The awful terrible is the funniest thing I have read ever! ( )
  Islandmum84 | Jul 28, 2021 |
Even better the second time around. ( )
  SomeSwimmer | Jul 22, 2021 |
Unlike most people I did not like this book. As a former bookstore manager I have to admit I frequently did not read bestsellers because they don't need to be hand sold. I held off reading this for a long time but eventually caved because everyone told me how great it was. I only made it half way - very unusual for me. I had a really hard time with the knowledge that a middle-class white woman was trying to write about the south and racism and that she even had her black characters speaking in a vernacular that read very cliche to me.
IMHO, I think it is overrated and border line offensive. D ( )
  101ReasonsWhy | Jul 12, 2021 |
Based in Jackson, Mississippi, in the early 1960s, this book delves into the relationships between black maids and their employers. The author writes from three perspectives: two black maids, with very different personalities, and a white employer, who chooses to become a social outcast. Well written and very engaging. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Oh, I loved it. Near the end I couldn't put it down. The bitter sweet yet hopeful ending was just perfect. And, even though it wasn't a fairy-tale ending, I still found it very pleasing. Plus, I love books that are almost books inside of books, they remind me of Hamlet. If nothing else, I would have read it just for the amusing dialogue and inner dialogue of Minny. But, it was more than amusing dialogue, it had purpose, and it made me think. It is a perfect thing to read if you want a funny, heartfelt, book with a moral. ( )
  Conni_W | Jul 7, 2021 |
This is fun stuff, well-written and often applause-worthy. My only problem with The Help is that, in the end, it’s not really about the help.

I finished The Help in one sitting and enjoyed it very, very much. It’s wise, literate, and ultimately deeply moving, a careful, heartbreaking novel of race and family that digs a lot deeper than most novels on such subjects do.

As black-white race relations go, this could be one of the most important pieces of fiction since To Kill a Mockingbird... If you read only one book this summer, let this be it.

“Mississippi is like my mother,” [Stockett] writes in an afterword to “The Help.” And you will see, after your wrestling match with this problematic but ultimately winning novel, that when it comes to the love-hate familial bond between Ms. Stockett and her subject matter, she’s telling the truth.

Her pitch-perfect depiction of a country's gradual path toward integration will pull readers into a compelling story that doubles as a portrait of a country struggling with racial issues.

Kathryn Stockettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Svendsen, Birgitte VictoriaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bronswijk, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Grandaddy Stockett, the best storyteller of all

Black women raise kids/of white women who make them/use separate toilets (LC Brooks)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241950805, 0241956536

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,454,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible