Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception…

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception (Export) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Eric Van Lustbader and Robert Ludlum

Series: Jason Bourne (07)

"Jason Bourne's nemesis Arkadin is still hot on his trail and the two continue their struggle, reversing roles of hunter and hunted"--Provided by publisher.
Member:VJJ
Title:Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception (Export)
Authors:Eric Van Lustbader and Robert Ludlum
Info:Orion (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Lt (2009), Paperback

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception by Eric Van Lustbader (2009)

A meeting takes place between two unlikely subjects, with the purpose being a quid pro quo involving Bourne's death. And, indeed, Bourne is the target of an assassination attempt in Bali that is almost successful. While Bourne slowly recuperates, he undertakes a journey to try to determine who he is --- or, more accurately, the essence of his David Webb persona --- as well as who was behind the attempt to take him off the board. The answer to the latter question is a surprising one, given that it is Leonid Arkidin, an adversary whom Bourne had believed to be dead. But Bourne's quest regarding his own identity is quickly terminated and, indeed, bookends the beginning and end of the tale.

I enjoyed the action-packed story and multitude of very human characters. The only downfall was that the characters seemed so flat. I'd recommend it to those who've enjoyed the earlier books. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Jason Bourne book seven shows no sign of the pace slowing done, although I found the first half took a a bit of getting into. Character development in this book, particularly of Leonid Arkadin, added some real depth. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  cathymoore | Feb 21, 2014 |
### Review

'A book that will no doubt keep you on the edge of your seat!' (_SOUTH WALES ARGUS_ )

'moves at quantum speed with thrills and spills galore as Bourne seeks to win a cat and mouse game with his nemesis Arkadin' (_EVENING TELEGRAPH_ )

### Product Description

Jason Bourne's nemesis Arkadin is still hot on his trail and the two continue their struggle, reversing roles of hunter and hunted. When Bourne is ambushed and badly wounded, he fakes his death and goes into hiding. In safety, he takes on a new identity, and begins a mission to find out who tried to assassinate him. Meanwhile, an American passenger airliner is shot down. Bourne's search for the man who shot him intersects with the search for the people that brought down the airliner, leading him into one of the most deadly and challenging situations he has ever encountered. With the threat of a new world war brewing, Bourne finds himself in a race against time to uncover the truth and find the person behind his assault, all the while being stalked by his unknown nemesis...
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
The more books there are between Ludlum's Bourne and Lustbader's Bourne, the smaller the character gets and the smaller the books get.
I do not mean that in size, because they're still quite thick, but in contents or plot.

What deception? Bourne has been mislead all his life since he entered Treadstone, so there's nothing new to that.
Apart from that, Bourne is playing only a small part in this book, so I think it is becoming time to change the title's of the books. On the Dutch version still "Robert Ludlum's" is playing a big part on the front cover, but imho this book does not hve anything in common anymore with the Ludlum books and the Bourne character that Ludlum created.

Both characters, both Arkadin and Bourne have somehow miraculously survived an event that would kill any living person, regardless of how well one's trained or not. But both survived and the feud goes on again.

While reading it, I was annoyed by the fact that this translator uses another term for "Brotherhood of the East" (I'm not sure about the English name of the group though). It took me a while to realise that the different names point to one and the same group.
If you get an assignment to translate, make sure that the names at least are consistent. Together with here and there some Dutch that makes my hair stand up straight, it wasn't the best translation I've read. When I read I do not want to notice that the book was originally written in another language. Then the translation is good. This, well, poor original!

I realise tht this review spends more words on the translation than on the book itself. Well, I guess that's a comment in itself already.... Not a book that I'd ever pick up again, both because of the story itself and the translation. If it were only the translation, I might have considered reading the original, but now? No, thank you. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
i expected so much and just didn't get it. i felt that bourne was mia for most of it. while there was plenty of action, the plot was confusing and at the end, i looked at my husband and went "what"? ( )
  spvaughan | Sep 9, 2010 |

Lustbader, Eric Vanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ludlum, RobertSeries Creatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Voor Jeff, die met een enkele vraag alles in beweging heeft gezet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,613,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible