City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:davadog13
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2007), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:to-read

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (751)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (767)
Well... today I finished reading this book, I have some trouble writing a review because I liked the book but there's something that I don't like, and I'm not sure what it is.
Everyone knows that this is the first book of The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare.

Well to begin I've read some other reviews, positive and negative to have different points of view before writing my own review, those other reviews made reflex a lot abput the good and bad points of this book.

I got interested in this book when I read that the protagonist was an otaku girl, I love anime so I thought it could be interesting, and the story with another world hidden in the normal world sounds cool, thats why I gave this book an oportunity and I don't regret it.

I liked the book since the beggining, the plot is cool and I really liked how in the first two sections we can know the story of almost each character, about their families, their background. Also I really liked Clare's style, her style is really descriptive, she describes really well the places and everything, even unnecesary details, but that helps a lot to imagine whats happening and creates a wonderful atmosphere.

Now here is what bugs me: the characters.
First the protagonist, Clary... she's a normal girl and blablabla, but she is actually a shadowhunter, cool right? she has powers then, she could learn how to fight and be useful while looking for her mother, but no, she learnt almost anything! she was always screaming and crying and everyone hit her and she never did anything useful or awesome as a shadowhunter! Another thing that bugs me about her is that she says that she loves Simon as a friend and everything but she always forgets about him! and even forgets about her mother, almost at the end of the book I remembered how everything began because her mother was kidnapped.

Jace: well I don't have too much to say about him, but I don't find him charming, he's sarcastic I liked that, but his suicide personality is everything excep charming.

Isabelle: she a plain character, I don't like the way she is, I find her annoying but useful, not like Clary.

Alec: This dude is really boring, he seems to be mad all the time, thats annoying. To me he doesn't have personality and was more annoying than her sister.

Magnus: I liked him, he's charming!! and is gay, but he's kinda cool, he is like wise and funny at the same time.

Luke: I think he is one of my favorite characters, since the begining I knew he was going to be important in the story, he is like a good and lovely father, a good person that recognize the mistakes he did in the past and that would do anything to save the persons he love. I really liked him, the character had something special to me.

Jocelyn: She reminds me of the mother of one of my friends ._. and well she didn't appear too much in the book so I don't have too much to say about her.

Valentine: Yay, the bad guy that has the name of a romantic day. This guy is really bad, his name bugs me, but besides that is a good villian, it's cold, no doubts to kill, and his hate is powerful and kinda insane. But I don't understand what makes him that powerful and invencible ._.

Well besides I wrote almost bad things about the characters, sometimes they were funny, and what made me relly like this book was the end. The third part of it was full of action and made understand the story of Clary's mother and Valentines and his evil plan that I didn't understand at the begining. I couldn't stop reading in that part.
When the bad guy appeared and confused Jace with the family part was cool, because we could see another part of Jace, the sarcastic "badass" dude, was weak and kinda stupid for believing in Valentine.

Thats my full opinion of the book, it has good and bad things as everything, but I liked it and I'm willing to read the second part of The Mortal Instruments. ( )
  Rosechaser110 | Jul 17, 2019 |
I spent the first part of the book being annoyed by Clary’s constant denial of her mother’s past. She was slapped in the face with some many realities that her continual denial just became tiresome. I found her a little less annoying by the second part and had begun to appreciate her strength by the third part. I found Jace and Simon annoying throughout the whole book so I’m not sure how that bodes for me reading Book Two.

The story overall is very good and well thought out with a great sense of detail that the reader can really imagine this universe. To me the author also did a good job of balancing Clary’s immaturity and maturity levels for someone her age. The author I thought did a good job of showing Clary having to grow up fast based on all the information being thrown at her. Alec and Isabelle are interesting characters and look forward to getting to know them better. Simon was too “stereotypical” best friend who has a unrequited love for the heroine. Jace is just way too arrogant for me and I was surprised to see just how weak he really is.

Overall a great story with a heroine that has me engaged to see her grow and mature in this new world she has been thrust into. Mae Whitman did a good job of narration and I look forward to Book Two. ( )
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
I'm re-reading this book or rather I re-read this book via listening to it. Of cos it makes the book better but I still stick to my rating since the characters in the first book are not that likeable. Especially Simon. He's a very complicated character for me. Till this date, I'm not sure if I appreciate his loyalty or stupidity. ( )
  janejane85 | Jun 30, 2019 |
This was a really interesting book. A world that coexists with our world, but can only be seen by a few. It made me jealous that I couldn't see how things "really are".

This is a book full of betrayals Some of them were just too much for me. We come to trust a character, and then find out they are totally different from what they seemed. In the world of the Shadowhunters, it is sometimes difficult to know who to trust, and what is really going on. The main characters are a group of teens, approx ages 15-16. They seem to spend a lot of time on their own, without any adult supervision. I guess that is one of the reasons this appeals so strongly to teen readers.

I liked the characters, especially Clary and Simon. It would be nice to see them develop a more romantic relationship in future books. The character Jace was a little to smug and sarcastic for my taste, so I didn't find him quite as likable, although he did have a tragic back story.

I would like to continue reading more of this series, as the book did not answer all the questions it raised. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Promette bene (meglio del film, ovviamente). Procedo con il secondo. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, MaeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,363,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible