City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book…

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Cassandra Clare (Author)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
Member:greenteaholic
Title:City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare (Author)
Info:Walker Books (2010), 541 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Recently added byArina40, CAKing, private library, RachelBcourt03, readingbeader, izzied, Sratcliff19
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (769)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (786)
This book was one big roller-coaster ride for me: one minute I loved it the next I hated it. When I first started reading it I was seriously considering stopping reading it (which, by the way, is something that I never do) because it didn't draw me in at all and the characters were quite boring and without depth. As you might of guessed I did continue reading City of Bones by repeatedly reminding myself how many people loved this book and that they couldn't all be wrong.

And they weren't wrong. Slowly but surely I began to get interested in this book. The characters began to develop and the plot was becoming interesting, even if it was still a little bit dull, so that soon I was deciding that it might be worth it after all, that this book could possibly be a new favourite of mine. Unfortunately my mind was changed back almost immediately when the book went back to being the same boring book it had been at the start, and from there began to improve again before sinking back to being terrible.

This continued to happen constantly until I was close to the end when and the tension was rising. The last chapter turned out to be absolutely fantastic as everything was revealed. The only thing wrong with the thrilling events of the last chapter was that I, like many others, had already guessed all the twists and revelations. I was slightly disappointed in the epilogue though because, unlike the last couple of chapters, the epilogue had no interesting revelations. I was also disappointed that everything turned out perfect in the end with everyone acting like one big happy family, it was just nothing like reality – even vampires are more realistic than everyone being happy and getting along with each other.

So yeah, this book was quite hard to rate because at some times I felt it deserved just 1 star and yet at one point I considered giving it a 5 star. I gave it a 2 star only because the good parts weren't enough to make me forget the bad parts and for me the book really wasn't any better than OK. Anyway, I would recommend this book to people who like Harry Potter but won't get annoyed that Cassandra Clare has clearly stolen many ideas from the series. Also, if you are looking for a romance this might be the the book for you but then again I didn't fall for Jace at all like many of the other readers did. Just remember, don't read this unless you are prepared to be at least slightly disappointed. ( )
1 vote Lilac22 | Oct 4, 2020 |
I read this book as a botm but I'd seen good reviews so I was excited to dig in. Mostly I was disappointed.

Clary is a 15 year old growing up in NYC growing up under the care of her over-protective mother and her mother's platonic friend Luke. She's out with her best friend Simon at that all important ya staple - the under 21 club that's way too cool to be anything like what I remember from those good old days. While dancing she sees something go down and like all good heroines she sticks her nose in. After witnesing a demon being killed by kids her own age she learns there's a whole new world out there full of demons, werewolves, vampires and the Shadowhunters that hunt them. Cassandra has a fun idea with teenagers who use runes cut into their skin to enhance their ability to fight demons. When Clary's mom is kidnapped, she's dragged into the Shadowhunter world, which isn't so bad since Jace is sooo cute. "Uncle" Luke won't take her calls anymore so Clary is struggling along with 3 Shadowhunter teens trying to find the bad guy and the magical Cup he's trying to get a hold of to build up an army for himself. Ya know , the usual teenage issues.

The first 2/3's of this book is world building and it got boring fast. I almost put it down repeatedly There is very little action and mostly I was annoyed with the angst. Clary likes Jace who like himself, and maybe her. Simon likes Clary, but he also likes Shadowhunter Isabell (maybe?) and let's not get into Shadowhunter Alec's issues. So, it turns out Clary's mom (oh why was Clary so mean to her before she was kidnapped - sob) may have known where the all important Cup bad guy Valentine was seeking. Clary's got a block on her memories so we get dragged along trying to find out how to remove it. You'd think this would be fun - it's not.

Jace is much loved in the ya world I've learned, and I know I'm going to catch trouble for this, but why?! Why do guys who act like jerks get so much attention? Jace is arrogant, and prejudiced. Good thing it turns out Clary's not a "mundie" but a magical girl, otherwise would she have been worth his time of day? There are a lot of Jace quotes out there and the truth is they're funny but the author buries them in dialogue and description of how everyone reacts to Jace's funnies. It got old fast and it killed all the humor.

At about the 70% mark the action finally picks up. We finally see Valentine, the author starts to knit things together (way too much description, not enough showing - writing 101 here!). The first part of this book I'd put at a 1 star. The latter maybe a 3. The action's not bad. The bad guy is evil. The good guys get an epic battle but all the issues previously noted are still there, it was just finally readable with something going on. And I saw the Jace issue coming but really?! Blegh. I'll leave it at that - you'll see.

Pros:
- new world, but for the love of god, must there always be vampires and werewolve? You've got demons, stick to an evil force!
- I like the use of runes to enhance magic - fun, but under utilitized.
- really I'm struggling here...
- I liked Simon! The "special" kids get annoying fast.

Cons:
- the typical boy and girl fall in love immediately even though boy's a jerk, and oh yeah girl doesn't think she's pretty, but boy sees she's actually beeeeaaauutiful. You have got to build up to this people. See [b:The Summoning|2800905|The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255841544s/2800905.jpg|2451397] for reference...
- Sooo slow to start
- Action is okay, when it finally arrives!
- Switching views randomly. This is more of the author needing to work on show, don't tell, prevents the need for those random POV's popping up.
- The world building takes a long time and yet somehow still doesn't feel fleshed out. It would have been nice for some great description, not the ramble we got. Some real word weaving to make it beautiful. City of Bone just makes me feel like there's this really cool location I never made it to on this tourit tromp around NYC. In fact, none of NYC's coolness factor came through at all. Try: [b:Valiant|266607|Valiant (Modern Tale of Faerie Series #2)|Holly Black|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1312064745s/266607.jpg|588218] for a nitty, gritty city that adds flows fabulously despite being "mundane".
- At the end one of the strongest characters cracks pretty darn fast.
- Valentine's relation to everyone, saw this coming, which is not unusual for me, but the main character was hopelessly naive about it. For all her angst she never once ruminates on him?!
- Jace and Clary at the end - spoilers, but seriously?!
- Editting typos - I know this post is full of them too, but my keys are sticking, what's the editors excuse?

So, I tried being nice and started this book at 3 stars but after this review, I remembered why it was a 2 star book for me. Will not even be attempting the rest of this series, but I doubt this author will miss me with all the ravenous fans she has. ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
Interesting world, and a super quick read. I will definitely read the others in the series, but I think these will probably appeal to me on the same level as the [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1296159834s/24770.jpg|2895388] trilogy. I like the story, and the magic, and the mystery. Not so much with the characters. It's one of the things I have the most issues with in YA, teen characters who are very teen-like but also highly annoying. The character I like most is Luke, the most fleshed out grown up. Which makes me feel OLD. Oh, boo. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
lgpb
  5083mitzi | Aug 2, 2020 |
Steals all its best plot moments from other, better, stories. Sometimes quite compelling and exciting, but also sometimes fumbling, choppy, and soap-opera-ish. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, MaeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,819,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible