City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, Book…

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare (Author)

16,201812241 (3.86)371
Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
Member:BrittneySalazar
Title:City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare (Author)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), 485 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (793)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (810)
(I'm going to murder Goodreads for just deleting the huge, detailed review I just wrote. Let's see if I have the patience to do this again)

City of Bones, the first Mortal Instruments novel, is about as unremarkable as anything I've read in the past five years. The characters are flat, the plots are lifted from well known tropes (and implemented ungracefully), the descriptions are hammy and ill-timed, and the narrative voice will convince you that your author would rather be nerding-out watching anime than really writing a book.

The main character, Clary, is prototypically insecure as a regular mortal thrust into a magical world that's all new and shiny. The concept makes you roll your eyes, and it only gets worse from there. What surprises lay in store for our young heroine? Will there be a love triangle? Perhaps someone will betray her, or maybe someone will reveal that they aren't who they claimed to be? Yeah, you'll see it all coming a mile away, and you won't really care.

The main supporting male lead, Jace, is a fantastic example of an author falling in love with her character. If I read one more paragraph about how amazing and infinitely talented he was, despite being a tormented bad-boy who must be forgiven his caustic personality, I think I might have hurled.

All-in-all, City of Bones is formulaic, mediocre, and boring. It reads at a young-adult level, so perhaps that audience will be more taken in by it. For myself, I will not be continuing the series. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
I read this book years ago, and I love it just as much now as I ever did! I highly recommend this series to anyone! Our main character Clary Fray meets a group of Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. They should be invisible to her, but she can see them when no one else can. Her mother disappears, and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. She is quickly swept away into the Shadowhunter world and discovers things about her and her mother's past that she never could have imagined. Someone has altered her memories. Now she is on the hunt to get some answers and to find her mother. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
I recently read this book and I found it amazing. For those who haven’t read it already, the story revolves around a teenage girl, Clary, who in the beginning was under the impression that she was like any other normal teenager when in reality, she was not. It’s a story of how Clary discovers her true identity, among the challenges and the dangers that she was very much unaware of (I guess the description of the book will be able to tell you better :p).
Before I read it, many of my friends said that it’s somewhat like Harry Potter, but I totally disagree with them. Yeah, there may be a concept or two where you can relate it with the Harry Potter series, but otherwise, it has a completely different plot.
What I really liked about this book was how it kept me engaged in the story from the beginning. Whenever I was reading this book, it was like I entered a whole new world, the Shadowhunter world, and I couldn’t help feeling like I was the one experiencing the story. It has just the right amount of humor, suspense with a sprinkling of teenage romance. Its characters are quite interesting, each one having a different personality, and I found it endearing how such different-natured characters loved and protected each other.
The plot is also very unpredictable. Whenever the suspense starts to build up, you begin making assumptions of what’s going to happen next, and when the suspense is finally revealed, you would be taken aback by how completely out of the box it was. I really like how Cassandra’s mind works here. Once you get sucked into the story, you’ll find yourself eagerly turning the pages to find out what’s going to happen next.
I would suggest this book to all the fantasy- fiction loving bibliophiles. But I would not suggest this book to those who prefer stand-alone books over series. You see, the Mortal Instruments series alone have seven books. And that won’t be the end of it. After it, you’ll have various series to complete. And what’s happened with me is that once I started reading Cassandra Clare’s books, I couldn’t stop myself. I thought maybe I’ll stop once I complete The Mortal Instruments, but I got sucked in so deep in the Shadowhunter world, I couldn’t make myself read some other book. So that can be a plus point or a flaw of the series- however you wanna see it- that once you start reading it, you’ll not be able to take a break until you complete the entire journey.
I would also not recommend this book to those who don’t like fantasy fiction books as it is full of fantasy and magic.
This book has been left open-ended, and it is continued in the next book ‘City of Ashes’.
One last thing I want to say, those of you who made assumptions about this book after watching the movie, please don’t. Trust me, the movie didn’t do justice to the book. That’s what happened to me. I first watched the movie and seeing how trite it was, I thought that the book couldn’t be any better. I’ve never been more wrong. I read this book on a suggestion of a friend, and when I did, I was astonished to find that the story is really good. Now, this incident has made me give up on films, at least those films which are based on books.
To sum it all up, I loved this book and would recommend it to all those who like to enter the world of fantasy from time to time.
I hope this was helpful😊. ( )
  Kashvijayati | Aug 5, 2021 |
Teen fiction; fantasy/sci-fi. Though it's nearly 500 pages long, you can finish this without trouble over one weekend. The main characters are easy to like and identify with, and the demons, werewolves, vampires and the like keep the pages filled with plenty of action. This is the first part of the "Mortal Instruments" series, so the really big problems don't get solved yet, but the ending is still satisfactory. There is minimal swearing (I think I counted 1 'B' word) and a little bit of kissing. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
A bit of light-hearted teenage melodrama in an urban fantasy setting. ( )
  brakketh | Jun 14, 2021 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, MaeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,235,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible