HomeGroupsTalkExplore

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book…

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Cassandra Clare (Author)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizzare world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
Member:CaptainM
Title:City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare (Author)
Info:Walker Books (2010), 503 pages

Work Information

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (828)  Spanish (7)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (846)
My favourite book and one of my favourite series, it’s a great idea, amazing world she has created and great relatable, diverse characters. Lots of twists and an easy to read style of writing that flows really well, this was a book I read in school and loved just as much as I still do, although it is a long series and the last book IMO was disappointing and rushed ( )
  katejo99 | Jan 28, 2023 |
Unnecessarily long. Wasn’t interesting. I remember Booktube hyping this up but I missed that train and at 28, I don’t think it’s worth the hype it had or still has.
  Summer345456 | Jan 25, 2023 |
It's over..... It's finally over! I wanted to like this especially since a young friend of mine really wanted me to read the series but it offered me nothing but annoyance. Fifteen years ago I would have been all over this novel but I guess I'm an old lady now lol. The characters were flat and the story was stale. It doesn't help that I've seen the movie so I knew what was going to happen. I truly don't recommend..... But I'm signed up to read the next two in the series so I pray that the story picks up a notch or two! ( )
  mtngrl85 | Jan 22, 2023 |
I just finished this book, and am having a surprisingly difficult time deciding what to rate it. After reading the other reviews, I am even more confused because everyone else either loves or hates it . . . So, for those of you who haven't read it yet and don't know if you should, here is the middle ground.

This book is incredibly engrossing, so much so that I read the entire 500 pages in one day (almost in one sitting). I was fascinated by it and couldn't wait to turn the next page. Nevertheless, this is NOT a great book. The witty dialogue and fast-paced action are superbly done, but the book also has many cliques, an irritating love-triangle, and a TERRIBLE ending. It is a fun read but by no means fantastic. ( )
  jhellar | Jan 14, 2023 |
Oh. Oh, how I wish, so hard, we could have had more things from Jace's point of view. I liked the series, but it would have been far more compelling from his mindset.

Merged review:

I really want to call this a 3.5, but if I have to chose 3 or 4. It's more 4 than three. I do agree with the reviewer than half-spoiled me as I was checking out this series a week ago. Book one is a whole lot more Telling-Than-Showing which usually bugs the crap out of me as a reader and an English Major.

BUT. It fits here. You want to tell me the main character discovers a whole knew world, that's existed for thousands of years, she just hasn't known about. And now *needs* to know about and many things about it. Yeah. It's going to be made of people telling things. And I don't find it having been handled badly here.

That said, I still found myself deeply compelled by all sorts of things in the series.

Even if, yes, the reader knows two hundred pages before Clary the first plot twist.

And I never expected the second one. So. Bravo on that one. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 26, 2022 |

Witt, ElsbethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yeniçeri, SelimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Клеър, КасандраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,982,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible