The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse by Leann…

The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse

by Leann Sweeney

This was a nice light read. Although it's a whodunnit book, it's nothing overly dramatic. Just a fluffy read. Sometimes we need that! This was my first Leann Sweeney book and it was better than I had expected.

As for the characters, I could see the potential for any of them to have been cat thief and the killer. As I got closer to the end, I thought I knew who had done it, but I was wrong. I was pleasantly surprised.

Will likely try to read more of Sweeney's work. ( )
  caslater83 | Sep 20, 2018 |
This title and book had me at cats as I, too, am a cat lady. I hate to say that this is a delightful read since there is a murder involved, but what I mean is that there is no sex or foul language!

Jill lost her husband a few months prior. Now she has had a break in and one of her cats (she has 3) is missing. Who would be cynical enough to steal a cat? Jill sets out to find who and why. What happens along the way is that she discovers a corpse. Through this discovery, Jill also makes friends with a policewoman and Tom who installs a security system in her house.

This is the first book in the series and I am looking forward to reading the second and third. ( )
  travelgal | Jun 9, 2018 |
After her husband passes away from cancer Jillian Hart is slowly putting her life back together in a small South Carolina town, keeping herself busy with her quilting business and doting on her three cats. That is right up until the moment her house is broken into and one of her cats goes missing. Convinced her purebred Abyssinian was catnapped, Jillian soon finds herself in more trouble than she imagines when, during the course of her crime solving, she stumbles across a dead body.

The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse is the first in the Cats in Trouble mystery series by Leann Sweeney. I needed a quick read to get me through a short business trip and this ended up being the perfect pick. Jillian ends up in every pet lover's nightmare when one of her beloved cats goes missing. Add to the fact that she was recently widowed and fairly new to the small South Carolina town she had settled in with her late husband, the character's heightened panic is completely understandable. Her three cats are all named after wines, Chablis, Syrah and Merlot, which is a fun touch. I liked that Jillian is a bit of a fish out of water, learning how to navigate living in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business and doesn't let anyone discourage her from getting to the bottom of the mystery. The story has good pacing. The characters around town are quirky and have interesting personalities. I ended up enjoying the book a lot more than I expected to. I will definitely continue this series in the future. ( )
  Narilka | Jun 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to reading more in the series.

The protagonist Jillian is a likeable character. I like that she is cooperative with the law enforcement officers, instead of being evasive.

I also like that her cats act like cats -- they don't talk (to humans or each other) and they don't have special powers (like Koko with his extra whiskers).

Jane.Reads | May 28, 2016 |
Jillian Hart returns from a trip selling her cat quilts and finds that one of her cats has been stolen. Jillian's husband died of a heart attack 9 months ago right after they moved to town. Now Jillian is meeting townsfloks while searching for her cat Syrah. Then she stumbles upon a dead body. A good cozy mystery. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Curiosity is lying in wait for every secret. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
This book is for Maddie.
My cat is allergic to people - yes, odd, I know - so when I came in the back door and heard Chablis sneeze, I stopped dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451225740, Mass Market Paperback)

the author of the yellow rose mystery series, leann sweeney, is...

"A welcome new voice in mystery fiction." (Jeff Abbott, bestselling author of Collision

...and her brand new series about adorable cats that just can't stay out of trouble is bound to be a hit!

Jill's quiet life is shattered when her house is broken into and her Abyssinian, Syrah, goes missing. Jill's convinced her kitty's been catnapped. But when her cat-crime-solving leads her to a murdered body, suddenly all paws are pointing to Jill.

Soon, Jill discovers that Syrah isn't the only purebred who's been stolen. Now she has to find these furry felines before they all become the prey of a cold-blooded killer-and she ends up nabbed for a crime...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:42 -0400)

The first of a brand-new series. Jillian Hart's quiet life is shattered when her house is broken into and her Abyssinian, Syrah, is missing. Jill's convinced her kitty's been catnapped, but when her cat-crime-solving leads her to a murdered body, suddenly all paws point to Jill.… (more)

Leann Sweeney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,617,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible