The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner…

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Donalyn Miller, Jeff Anderson (Foreword)

Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year. Miller's unconventional approach dispenses with drills and worksheets that make reading a chore. Instead, she helps students navigate the world of literature and gives them time to read books they pick out themselves. Her love of books and teaching is both infectious and inspiring. The book includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read.… (more)
Member:EsmeCodell
Title:The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
Authors:Donalyn Miller
Other authors:Jeff Anderson (Foreword)
Info:Jossey-Bass (2009), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:10 Favorite Professional Books

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller (2009)

The material is largely useful, but her tone is painful.
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
As an elementary school teacher for the last 12 years, teaching in 3 countries in the style that Donalyn Miller beautifully describes I can tell you, yes, it works.
Last year, the reading screening teacher came down the hall, pointed at me and said, "I could tell," and walked away. She later explained that she could tell each student who was in my class because they loved reading, loved talking about reading and had definite tastes and ideas about genre and authors. Some of these students she had been working with for three years and she saw a difference after 4 months. ( )
  RachellErnst | Jan 5, 2021 |
One of the genres that I read very little is non-fiction. The truth is, I believe if I find books in this genre with subjects I like, I will pick them up. That's what happened to me with The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child.
That's happened to me while browsing the Libby app of my city's public library. I saw that I could borrow it and picked it up right away.
I believe that every teacher and particularly high school English teachers should devour this work.
I have a strong feeling that everyone that loves to read, also, parents of young children should pick up this five-stars book.
The thing I love most about the book is its focus: how to nurture students to be enthusiastic readers. The stories of the struggles she had to help turn kids onto reading and the examples of things she's tried are incredibly helpful. This book is so practical and so useful and, most importantly, so HOPEFUL. I needed that. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 3, 2020 |
I believe this book should be mandatory reading for ALL teachers and those of us who love putting a good book in a child's hands. Well done, Ms. Miller! ( )
  lasvegasbookie | Aug 20, 2020 |
Although this book is about the author's teaching experiences with the 6th grade, there is much to be learned and applied to any classroom. Miller discusses how modern education sucks all the joy out of reading for students. If we want students to love reading, then we need to rework our classrooms and reading assignments. There should be choice, there should be opportunity to change books, there should be constant access to books, and there MUST BE TIME TO READ. This book will revolutionize the way I teach English in the coming years (if we ever get back into our classrooms). ( )
  Lindsay_Villalobos | Jul 28, 2020 |
What we have loved
Others will love
And we will teach them how.
--William Wordsworth
Foreword: Donalyn Miller's voice is one of a real teacher.
Introduction: I am not a reading researcher.
Chapter 1: One of my first memories is of learning to read.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,853,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible