The Motel Life: A Novel (P.S.) by Willy…

The Motel Life: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Willy Vlautin (Author)

A hugely moving slice of downbeat Americana
Member:kerryfine
Title:The Motel Life: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Willy Vlautin (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2007), Edition: 1, 206 pages

The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin (2006)

I liked it, but I shouldn't read this kind of stuff on cloudy, overcast days. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
This book is the story of two brothers living on the fringes of society in Reno, barely scraping by; the kind of people you might briefly wonder how they got where they are if you were to see them on the street. One of the brothers, Jerry-Lee is simple-minded, and Frank had promised his mother that he would look after Jerry-Lee after her death. When things get bad, Frank tells Jerry-Lee stories about the wonderful future that awaits them some day. Jerry-Lee believes these fantasies; Frank realizes their impossibility. When Jerry-Lee is involved in a hit and run accident, the two brothers go on the run.

In a lot of ways, this novel echoes Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. It is unremittingly bleak and despairing, yet as a character study of the two brothers and their relationship, it is a beautiful book. ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 20, 2017 |
Can't rate this - my reaction is too conflicted. See, the thing is, I live in Carson City. I know people like this. I work hard to use more sense than they do, and to distance myself from their drama. I don't need to watch people being stupid enough to be usually drunk and sad, rather than getting their shit together.

And the other thing is, I'm not sure other people do, either. It's as if Vlautin is exploiting these unfortunate folks, just so the literary world can get its kicks. Also, there's a lot in here that just doesn't ring true, and I'm pretty sure the author doesn't really know what it's like to live in this world and not be able to see a way out.

Otoh, it was a kick learning a bit more about our area and seeing it through his eyes. And he does write well. I just think [b:The Outsiders|231804|The Outsiders|S.E. Hinton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1314327508s/231804.jpg|1426690] and [b:The Basketball Diaries|682745|The Basketball Diaries|Jim Carroll|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1331057236s/682745.jpg|922689] are better.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Another 5 star book by Vlautin! This was extra special to read because I recently purchased it directly from the author who wrote a great personal inscription! I can't wait to read his next book. In the meantime, I guess I can re-read the others, I bought them all. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jan 29, 2016 |
I kept waiting for the dog to die. I shouldn't read these all at once. ( )
  RachelGMB | Aug 5, 2015 |

Willy Vlautinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Chuck Holt
The night it happened I was drunk, almost passed out, and I swear to God a bird came flying through my motel room window.

A hugely moving slice of downbeat Americana

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,366,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible