First Lord's Fury

by Jim Butcher

Series: Codex Alera (6)

The savage Vord are on the march, and Gaius Octavian, first lord of Alera, must lead his legions to the Calderon Valley to stand against them--using all of his intelligence, ingenuity, and furycraft to save their world from eternal darkness.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham (daschaich)
    daschaich: Although the tones and styles of the two series are quite different, Daniel Abraham's "Long Price" quartet shares some similar themes with the Codex Alera. Both depict a civilization stagnating from over-reliance on magic, and the magics share some similarities: while Butcher's Alerans control elementals of nature, Abraham's Khaiem can capture manifestations of ideas by perfectly and uniquely expressing those ideas. I might describe Abraham's writing as more introspective or melancholic than Butcher's, and I find Abraham's characters much more interesting on the whole: not so much heroic or villainous as they are "merely" human.… (more)

English (62)  German (1)  All languages (63)
Life, Tavi reflected, seldom makes a gift of what one expects or plans for.

It's darkest before the dawn.

Things have been going badly for the Alerans for a while now. The Vord are here and they're winning, driving the Alerans back time and time again. If only there were a brilliant leader with a known tendency to come up with sideways solutions to impossible problems... Unfortunately, Tavi is stuck on the other end of the world. So what's next.

Structurally, [b:First Lord's Fury|6316821|First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327903582s/6316821.jpg|6502096] really feels more like the second half of [b:Princeps' Fury|2903736|Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1315082776s/2903736.jpg|2930878]. If not for the sheer size such a book would have been, I wouldn't have been surprised had they been a single book originally.

At this point, if you've made it this far, you're going to read this book. And you know they're going to win. But in this case, take the journey before destination[^oath] and see how things get there. There's crazy action, mad plans, traitors and battles galore. It's a solid conclusion to a wonderful series. Well worth reading.

Oh, and my comment about Fidelias? It works. I still don't like him and wouldn't have been terribly sad had he not survived this long. But there's something to be said for redemption...

There are some people who will never understand what loyalty means. They could tell you what it was, of course, but they will never know.They will never see it from the inside. They couldn't imagine a world where something like that was real.

[^oath]: I should re-read Oathbringer again at some point. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
This was the last book in the six-book Codex Alera series. This was a really good epic fantasy series, and I’m glad I read it. It was consistently well-written, with characters I cared a lot about, and an interesting story.

I do think I started to experience some “battle fatigue” by this last book. The whole series has quite a lot of action and it’s written well, focusing on the characters so that it stays interesting and doesn’t get repetitive. However, by this book I more or less knew how everything was going to end up and I was just ready to get the last climactic battle over with. It seemed to go on forever. This is probably partly because my work schedule really slowed my reading down, so it seemed to go on forever because it took me (almost) forever to finish the book.

It was still a very good story, and I was mostly happy with how everything wrapped up. I would have preferred though for the main action to end sooner and for there to have been more pages focused on the aftermath. I also rolled my eyes a bit at the end where we see the happily married or soon-to-be-married couples from the series with all their children, babies, and fat bellies. Very cliché. I thought I’d accidentally taken a wrong page turn into the ending of a romance book or something. There’s a decent section toward the end in which we learn about future plans, and that part made me happy, but I would have liked something more substantial. I also would have liked some last moments with some of the other recurring characters we didn’t see again near the end.

As I’ve said in previous reviews, this isn’t the twistiest of stories, but it’s never so predictable as to be boring. It’s good fun with great characters, funny banter, and other occasional humor. It was a satisfying epic fantasy series within a reasonable six-book series size. There’s definitely room for more stories, but I would worry that the next obvious direction the story would take would be too repetitive with what has already been written, so I think I’m glad it ended here. Although I know it’s a very different sort of a series, I’m now more interested in trying the author’s Dresden Files at some point to see if his writing works for me there, too. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Apr 25, 2021 |
The world and character building across this series is pretty darn spiffing. This one seemed a bit disjointed in some of the tactical and battle elements compared to the prior books, but was overall good fun. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
A gripping end to the series. After all the windup of the previous 5 books, while the end confrontation was obvious, this was still a fun book. I thought this series was entertaining, even if a bit derivative. Still, I was glad to read this one and I enjoyed it. ( )
1 vote Karlstar | Feb 4, 2021 |

Pages: 758
Words: 202K

Synopsis:

From Wikipedia

Returning from the ruined continent of Canea, Gaius Octavian, his girlfriend Kitai, the Canim warmaster Varg, and their legions find that most of the Aleran Empire has been destroyed or besieged by the insect-like Vord, a monstrous race led by a single sentient Queen that consumes everything they come across. Most of the Aleran resistance is based in the city of Riva, on the far eastern end of the continent. Octavian and his troops have landed on the northern edge and need to find a way to meet up with the other Aleran nobles in Riva. Meanwhile, Aquitainus Attis, who has been named First Lord in Octavian's absence, has given the order to salt the earth between Riva and the Vord, slowing the insect's approach.

After making landfall outside of the city of Antillus, Octavian begins preparations for his march to Riva. However, the Vord queen makes an appearance via watercraft projection, making essentially a hologram of herself out of every pool of water large enough to hold it, all across the continent. She states that her victory is inevitable and that she will accept any Aleran that wishes to surrender and allow them to live out the remainder of their life in peace provided they do not have any children. Octavian then uses the same watercrafting tactic to announce his arrival on the Aleran continent and give a morale boosting speech. Meanwhile, his aircrafting knights use their abilities to fly in and evacuate an occupied village from under the Queen's nose. In retribution, the Queen kidnaps Octavian's mother, Isana, as well as Araris Valerian, Isana's lover and the most skilled swordsman in the realm.

To make the march across the continent, Octavian receives help from the great fury Alera and the northern icemen to coat the north in a thick layer of ice, as well as cause hurricane strength winds that constantly blow east. He has his engineers rig their ships with steel keels and support struts, so that they can sail across the ice like giant sleighs. While Octavian's forces are on the march, Riva falls to the Queen's onslaught. Her vast number of troops are bolstered by the feral furies of all the Alerans the Vord have slain, and Aquitainus is forced to retreat and evacuate civilians to the Calderon valley, where Bernard and Amara, Octavian's uncle and his wife, have been fortifying the valley in preparation for the Vord. During the assault, Aquitainus makes a show of claiming new furies to bolster his power in an attempt to draw out his wife Invidia, who had betrayed Alera and joined the Vord Queen and become the Queen's right hand. He succeeds but loses the ensuing fight, and is mortally wounded while Invidia escapes.

During Octavian's march, one of his military advisers, Marcus, is revealed to be Fidelias, one of Octavian's grandfather's spies who had been a double agent for Invidia and caused a lot of deaths in previous books. Fidelias, who as Marcus had come to redeem himself somewhat, is condemned to death by Octavian. However, instead of immediate execution, Fidelias is allowed to die in Octavian's service, as his skills are too great to waste with the Vord threat. Afterwards, Octavian's force reaches Riva and decides to assault the Vord-occupied city. Octavian uses his strength in furycrafting to bring down the cities walls, and after the battle his firecrafters burn the Vord larders, cutting their supply lines to the Calderon valley. Octavian's force then moves to the valley to pin the Vord force between his own legions and the valley's defenders. While marching to the valley, the Queen herself makes an appearance and attacks Octavian's camp. She kills many and wounds Octavian.

Meanwhile the Vord have begun to assault the valley. Invidia goes to Amara in an attempt to betray the Vord Queen, and gives Amara enemy troop compositions and the time of the next attack as proof of her intentions. Later, the remaining High Lords and Ladies gather to assault the Queen with their combined strength, using Invidia's information. However, the Queen expected Invidia's betrayal and prepared for it, and begins slaughtering the attackers. Invidia again turns to the Vord as the Queen forgives Invidia, but Amara manages to assassinate Invidia before she can turn on her fellow Alerans again. The Queen retreats, leading to Isana and Araris' freedom.

Octavian's forces have arrived at this point, and the Queen takes to the air off towards the mountains in an attempt to take control of the colossal great furies there. Octavian and Kitai pursue the Queen and duel her while she is simultaneously claiming the extraordinarily powerful furies there. Meanwhile, the defenders of the valley are fighting against the endless Vord, and slowly losing. After a protracted battle and managing to interrupt the Queen's attempt to claim the furies, Octavian and Kitai manage to kill the Queen, causing the Vord to become feral without her guidance. The Vord break, and the survivors of the battle rejoice.

After the Vord's defeat, Octavian becomes the First Lord of the realm and marries Kitai, while both of them as well as Octavian's advisers begin rebuilding. The series ends with an opening for sequels, as on the continent of Canea there are several lesser Vord queens to be dealt with, as well as the consequences of some of the climate-changing furycrafting Octavian had to perform in order to defeat the primary Queen and save Alera.

My Thoughts:

Just as good as before. Which allayed my main worry that this whole series wouldn't be as good and that I was remembering it through a lense of “good times” instead of it actually being a fantastic story. Have no fear, Bookstooge, this WAS a great story.

I also found it to be the story that made me the most emotional out of the 6 books. I do suspect that life conditions when reading this (super stress, physical stuff, etc, etc) played a very large part of that. I was needing some emotional outlet and choking up on obviously manipulative writing on Butcher's part allowed me to get rid of some of the internal emotions without having to mentally acknowledge the basis for my even needing to vent like that. Just like opening the flood gates on a dam. Doesn't matter if the extra water behind the dam came from a huge rainstorm, or 10,000 hoboes pissing in the lake all at once, all that mattered was opening the gate to bring the waterlevel back to normal levels. Now with that wonderful image in your minds....

I would say this was the weakest of the series. The action is hot and heavy but the lack of indepth characterization really shows. For this series, that didn't bother me. In another series, maybe it would. Either way, it was something I noticed and it might bother others, so it is something to be aware of.

One thing that was really well done, in my opinion, was Butcher making his characters realize that their current actions would have lasting affects for the next several generations. From the death of the Fury of Alera (while she chose to give up herself to help Tavi against the vord, she still is dead as an entity), to possible alliances with the both the Canim and the Icemen (on top of the already cemented alliance with the Marat), to the future repercussions of creating storms and awakening Great Furies liked Galadros the Mountain, Butcher has enough of his characters cognizant that the world doesn't begin and end with them. It was really a small part but it was nice to see it included.

When I read this for the first time back in '10, I wanted more Alera, a lot more. Then when it became evident that Butcher wasn't going to write more Alera, I was despondent. Now, at this point in life, I'm satisfied with where the series has ended and I don't want Butcher to write any more in this world. After watching what Dresden fans are going through, I don't want any part of that. No amount of Alera is worth that to me.

To wit, I enjoyed this book and this series, just as much as before but with this re-read am more than satisfied with how and where the series ended. Consider me a very happy customer.

★★★★★ ( )

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, PriscillaMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For our own Knights and legionaires,
the men and women of the United States Armed Forces.
If you didn't do what you do, I couldn't do what I do. Thank you.
The steadholt was located several miles south of the ruined wasteland that had once been Alera Imperia, and it was an old one.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,246,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible