Codex Alera 6: Der erste Fürst by Jim…

Codex Alera 6: Der erste Fürst (edition 2012)

by Jim Butcher, Maike Claußnitzer (Übersetzer)

The savage Vord are on the march, and Gaius Octavian, first lord of Alera, must lead his legions to the Calderon Valley to stand against them--using all of his intelligence, ingenuity, and furycraft to save their world from eternal darkness.
Member:white_manta87
Title:Codex Alera 6: Der erste Fürst
Authors:Jim Butcher
Other authors:Maike Claußnitzer (Übersetzer)
Info:Blanvalet Taschenbuch Verlag (2012), Taschenbuch, 640 Seiten
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:2012, Fantasy, Zauberei

First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham (daschaich)
    daschaich: Although the tones and styles of the two series are quite different, Daniel Abraham's "Long Price" quartet shares some similar themes with the Codex Alera. Both depict a civilization stagnating from over-reliance on magic, and the magics share some similarities: while Butcher's Alerans control elementals of nature, Abraham's Khaiem can capture manifestations of ideas by perfectly and uniquely expressing those ideas. I might describe Abraham's writing as more introspective or melancholic than Butcher's, and I find Abraham's characters much more interesting on the whole: not so much heroic or villainous as they are "merely" human.… (more)

English (54)  German (1)  All languages (55)
68 points/100 (3 ½ stars/5)

Tavi has made his way back to Alera. He knows what has happened, he knows the Vord have attacked. He has to figure out how to make it to the battlefield before the entire kingdom is wiped out entirely. He knows he is the one who will have to defeat the Vord Queen.

I wanted to like this so much, but I just really didn't. The more I think about what happened, the less I realise actually happened. I knew I disliked the actual end of the book, the end of the series. It was too easy, too perfect for this kind of story. Yet, I didn't realise how much I was bored by the middle until I went to write this review and realised how little actually happened.

Most of what happened was Tavi being "clever". I hate when authors create characters where "clever" is their main trait, because it leads to books like this. It was really just an excuse to come up with really neat ideas that, while they work, I guess, they're just so ridiculously over complicated they'd never actually work when commanding thousands.

Even worse, so many of his plans resolve around the new superpowered Tavi. He is so unbelievably overpowered it is ridiculous. He has gotten some training from a source that is already overpowered to begin with. He is now the most powerful person in all of Alera, except maybe the Vord Queen. Plus he is "clever" with it. As everyone tells us a hundred times.

I really dislike clever characters.

This is mostly Tavi's really long trek across the sea then the country followed by a big battle at the end. I seriously thought there would be more to this than that. Hoped, I guess, instead. Just like I had hoped Tavi made it back to Alera before the start of the book. So much wasted time. Pretty much everything in this book could be told within the last hour of my reading this book, and that is pretty sad.

Isana went back to being useless. Amara was better but only because we got to see the Princep that is holding the fort for Tavi. The weird thing about it was that through some of the perspectives we see the Vord Queen, and she is trying to be human. It is utterly bizarre and makes no sense. Then again nothing about the Vord make sense.

As an aside, the whole Kitai demanding proper mating rituals thing was hysterical. Even though it was incredibly inappropriate for the time and place.

For a series I wasn't entirely liking already, I'm more disappointed in this ending than I should be. I just found so many problems with it that I didn't even want to find. It is unfortunate.

Spoiler #1: I really dislike the way the Vord Queen was handled in the end. All this fighting, back and forth. Finally, after she is trapped and can seemingly go no further she just..gives up. What in the hell is that all about? I just don't get it. I expected her to go down fighting.

Spoiler #2: Baby ever after? Really. Gods I would respect authors so much more if they didn't actually include it. I liked Kitai's if I'm being honest, I'm just angry I don't get to see more. (Then again, I'm 100% certain the First Lord said in an earlier book that they could watercraft in a birth control on themselves or maybe others. Tavi is more than powerful enough to do this now, as is Kitai. How the fuck did she end up pregnant in the first place?) The part I hated was that Amara was pregnant, too. Seriously? After she finally came to terms with everything? Ridiculous. Have some backbone!

Spoiler #3: Seriously what is the deal with Alera. How is she so utterly human? She is a POWER! She is more human than the Vord Queen who is trying to figure out how humans work. Even if Alera has been around them more often, she should not be so human. I just do not understand this choice. Kitai is less human than Alera is.

To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books! ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
In terms of zombie-like bug apocalypse fantasy books go, this one is probably my favorite. Granted that genre is not the largest and probably for good reason. There is not much variation for an outcome. Either you solve the problem and eradicate the species, or you lose and everyone dies.

I felt this was a satisfactory conclusion to the series. I would like to know what happens after this book since there was world changing ramifications for what was revealed. Maybe another series will fill in the blank of a society that is decimated and loses its ability to use magic.

I would recommend this series if you like epic fantasy series that feature the lowly kid from the backwater place that grow to become the most powerful person on the planet. It doesn't break any new ground, but it is enjoyable. ( )
  nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
Quite the cinematic book, once again, and a very fine ending to the series. Enjoyed it a lot, would generally recommend the series to fans of fantasy.

Also, I want either Blizzard or the people behind the Final Fantasy movies to make this into a movie. I'd totally watch that. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
A very epic ending to the series. I enjoyed how even when faced with an almost impossible to defeat foe like the Vord queen, there is no deus ex machina to resolve anything. Everything was setup throughout the series instead of all being slapped together just in the final book. And while it ended on a happy note, it was interesting to me to know that not everything was resolved, like the situation between Tavi and Crassus, the Vord still in Canea, and Senator Valerius still causing problems. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
I'm glad I can get back to chipping away at the millions of books I neglected while I was devouring this series, but I really enjoyed these books. I especially loved the concept of everyone having magical abilities—except for the hero (until the last few books, anyway). Lots of great characters, and everything comes full circle by the end, all tied up in a neat little bow. The only thing stopping me from rating this book 5 stars is the sheer number of battle scenes, which are not my favorite scenes to read. Even so, this book still pretty much gave me everything I wanted, which isn't something I can say for all concluding fantasy series books. ( )
  AngelClaw | Mar 16, 2018 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cotton, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinText designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, PriscillaMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For our own Knights and legionaires,
the men and women of the United States Armed Forces.
If you didn't do what you do, I couldn't do what I do. Thank you.
The steadholt was located several miles south of the ruined wasteland that had once been Alera Imperia, and it was an old one.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,364,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible