Centennial by James A. Michener

Centennial (original 1974; edition 1978)

by James A. Michener

A stunning panorama of the West, CENTENNIAL is an enthralling celebration of our country, brimming with the glory and the greatness of the American past that only bestselling author James Michener could bring to stunning life. From the Native Americans, the migrating white men and women, the cowboys, and the foreigners, it is a story of trappers, traders, homesteaders, gold seekers, ranchers, and hunters--all caught up in the dramatic events and violent conflicts that shaped the destiny of our legendary West.… (more)
Member:rrmc
Title:Centennial
Authors:James A. Michener
Info:New York : Fawcett Crest, c1974

Work Information

Centennial by James A. Michener (1974)

English (39)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
Good storytelling and researched, as always by Michener. ( )
  MGADMJK | Aug 27, 2021 |
A pretty complete portrait of this area of the world. Starting with the geology through dinosaurs, the Indians to the ranchers and the onset of the white man no aspect is left out. Not for the faint of heart took about a month to listen to it, but worth it. ( )
  charlie68 | Jul 15, 2020 |
Dry land farming. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
This takes place in the fictional town of Centennial, Colorado. As is usually the case with Michener, he takes us on a prehistorical tour of the surrounding area of the uprising of the Rockies, including the area of Colorado where Centennial is supposed to be(not far from Denver it seems). It starts with the dinosaurs that would have lived in the area to the arrival of man. The next section tells of the Indian and white fur trappers that inhabited the land. Part of this touches on the Indian massacres prevalent in the 19th century that were so common. Also during this timeframe, it goes into the decimation of the buffalo that the Indians depended on for so much of their food and other things that they were able to use from the buffalo. Then it goes into how the cattle ranchers and sheep ranchers feuded over land and water rights as well as agricultural farming in the area. As with many of Michener's books, this one has the sections tied together throughout the novel in one way or another. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
Retrieved a record: Bibliographic match uncertain.
  glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
Voor drie voortreffelijke journalisten in Colorado
Floyd Merril van Greeley, die me de rivieren heeft laten zien;
Otto Unfug van Sterling, die me veel over het vee heeft geleerd; Clyde Stanley van Keota, die me naar de prairie heeft geleid.
To Three distinguished Colorado newspapermen:
Floyd Merrill of Greeley, who showed me the rivers;
Otto Unfug of Sterling, who taught me about cattle;
Clyde Staley of Keota, who introduced me to the prairie.
Only another writer, someone who had worked his heart out on a good book which sold three thousand copies, could appreciate the thrill that overcame me one April morning in 1973 when Dean Rivers of our small college in Georgia appeared at my classroom door.
ISBN 0854565698 is for the Reader's Digest Condensed version.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,798,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible