On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (1)

1,028668,246 (4)40
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (flemmily)
    Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

Wow, I'm really glad that I didn't start the series with this one. Declan is the first of Andrews' heroes who just did not work for me. He had a little too much douche-baggery going on and never showed any real change in mentality from spoiled rich boy. This especially came out in his reactions towards Rose.

Rose has been targeted ever since she flashed white at her graduation ceremony. (Quick world summary: flashing is, essentially, an emission of magic from a person that can be controlled and used as a weapon. Different colors signify how much power a person has, with white being the strongest. There are also three different realities in this series: the Weird is a magical reality that runs parallel to the Broken, a non-magical reality, and the Edge is the place where the Broken and Weird overlap.) People who can flash white are extremely rare, so when Rose showed off her flash she unintentionally marked herself as a potential broodmare for Weird noblemen who want to strengthen their bloodlines. Living in the Edge, Rose is looked at as an easy victim, so she's been dodging kidnapping attempts for years. At the same time, she's also been raising her two younger brothers and working at a crappy job since her father abandoned them. So she really has no time to cater to Declan, the arrogant Weird nobleman, that shows up on her doorstep. Especially when she doesn't trust him and he practically oozes disdain towards Rose's life. The minute that Declan appears in Rose's life, he makes it clear that he doesn't approve of how she takes care of her brothers, considers her table manners atrocious, and believes she's ignorant. But someone is unleashing bloodthirsty creatures into the Edge and its soon clear that despite her dislike of Declan, Rose needs his help in eliminating the threat.

Honestly, I just didn't understand Rose's attraction to Declan. He was just too arrogant about everything and showed no change in his thinking throughout the book. Yes, Rose makes him eat crow a couple of times in the novel, but I just didn't feel that it changed anything about his way of thinking. Rose, however, was a great character. I loved how stubborn she was and that she refused to be cowed by anyone. Her two younger brothers, Georgie and Jack, were also interesting characters. Georgie is a necromancer who can't stand to see anything die, so he raises everything from the dead... including grandpa. Jack is a cat-shifter and so doesn't process things the way normal people do. He doesn't quite understand why he can't hunt birds in public or beat the crap out of someone who threatens his family. I loved both the kids and its interesting to see two young supernatural beings struggle with handling their powers or, in Jack's case, instincts. It'll be interesting to see if Andrews gives those two their own books in the future.

Aside from Declan, my only major issue is that the plot dragged a lot. Maybe its because I had already read the two novels in the series that come after this one, but I just couldn't get into the story surrounding the villain and the creatures he's unleashing. Since that was a major plot thread in the book, I was bored quite a bit. It also leads me to suggest that if you're looking to start this series, begin with [b:Bayou Moon|7130616|Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)|Ilona Andrews|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1307445460s/7130616.jpg|7392860]. I wasn't lost by starting with the second book in the series. I also thought that the hero and story in [b:Bayou Moon|7130616|Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)|Ilona Andrews|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1307445460s/7130616.jpg|7392860] were much more interesting than in this one. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I got this book a couple years ago and just got around to reading it last week. I read the reviews before I started it and didn't really have high expectations, based on those reviews.

Hmmm... I don't know what those others are reading that made them think this book is less than a 4 for its genre. It is an urban fantasy with a female protagonist who is not weak and whiny - that in itself makes this book exceptional. The fact that there was also a story, some character development and some believable romantic angst just bumps it upward.

There isn't much sex, but what there is was well-done and believable. The story was reasonable, and, while maybe the bad guy scenes were a bit over-long, they were okay too. The only thing I would note as a drawback to the story was how William felt very much like an 'add-on' - and his role in the story as it relates to Rose was way more 'weighty' than it should have been, given how little time passes.

But, ultimately, as soon as I finished this book (yesterday), I bought the next in the series and am starting it today. ( )
  crazybatcow | Oct 15, 2014 |
Rose lives in the Edge, a place where misfits straddle the Weird and the Broken, the in-betweens of the world we know and a place where magic is as easy as a flash.

I rather liked this book. It had all the right elements set with a bit of bite and some rather sensual moments. Sure, it's pretty typical, but it was done well.

Characters are nicely portrayed and I love how Rose doesn't just fall in love at first sight. There is definitely a progression that is believable - something not seen often in paranormal romances. One complaint I have is that the characters seem to monologue a lot and reveal their deeper secrets at the drop of a hat without a blink of an eye. It's too easy for them to open up. But as everything else is done quite nicely, I can overlook that.

The world is fairly flat, this in between world. I would've loved to see more besides the little techniques, but unfortunately this books is more about character development rather than world building.

This book hits all the right notes for me - action, strong protagonist, a bit of tightly burning lust, sassy remarks, and a good ending.

Three stars because it's not exactly something I'm raving about, but it's good. Recommended for those who love a good romance that is actually believable. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Why did I wait this long to read this?! ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband. I bet you didn't see that one coming.
"Rosie!" Grandpa's bellow shook the foundations of the house.

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel between the worlds – but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought that if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out the way she planned, and now she works an off-the-books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life determined to have Rose (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge – a flood of creatures hungry for magic – Declan and Rose must overcome their differences and work together to destroy them, or the beasts will devour the Edge and everyone in it…

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can esily travel between the worlds, but they never truly belong in either.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,425,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible