On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge (edition 2009)

by Ilona Andrews (Author)

Series: The Edge (1)

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between the world of the Broken (where people drive cars, shop at Wal-Mart, and magic is a fairy tale) and the Weird (where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny). Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel from one world to the next, but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn't turn out how she planned, and now she works a minimum wage, off-the-books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life, determined to have her (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge from the Weird, a flood of creatures hungry for magic, Declan and Rose must work together to destroy themóor they'll devour the Edge and everyone in it...

… (more)
Member:Skye_Dragone
Title:On the Edge
Authors:Ilona Andrews (Author)
Info:ACE Books (2009), Edition: Original, 326 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Work Information

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Tinker by Wen Spencer (flemmily)
    Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

English (114)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (116)
The world has two dimensions that exist side-by-side, one with magic and one without. The dimension with magic is called The Weird, the dimension without magic (our world) is called The Broken. Between the two dimensions there is a place called The Edge. The Edge is a bit of a mix between a The Broken and The Weird. People who live in The Edge have some magic, but they usually go into The Broken to work and go to school.

Rose has more magic than most in The Edge, which has made her life difficult. She works a dead end job to make ends meet while raising her two younger brothers, George and Jay. When dangerous things begin to happen in The Edge, she ends up joining forces with Declan, a noble from The Weird, who seems to have ulterior motives.

I really liked the characters in this book. They had a lot of depth and were fun to read about. The romance was pretty good, although it was kind of fast. The world is compelling and the story held my interest, even though the pacing seemed a bit off.

The ending of this book felt abrupt, so I'm hoping that the next books in the series mention the characters from this one. Each of the four books focuses on a different couple, but hopefully the stories are somewhat connected. Given that the next book focuses on William, who was a character from this book, it seems like a safe bet.

Another series, The Innkeeper Chronicles, is also set in the same world and some characters from this series are in it (grown-up George and Jay, among others). ( )
  zeronetwo | May 14, 2024 |
Probably would have rated this higher if the romance had been stretched along a couple of books. The insta-love dropped it down a star. ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Feb 2, 2024 |
Comic geeks and anime fiends take note--since this is set in a slightly more attuned to how the real world (shudder at the thought) works, we get to read about all that geeky stuff we love. Inu-Yasha is mentioned, the Green Arrow, DC Direct Action Figures...I spent a good part of the first half of the book squeeing until my dad looked at me weird.

On a more important to the book itself note, Rose isn't Kate. You can't compare the two because frankly their situations aren't the same. Rose is raising her two (hellion) brothers George and Jack (George who can raise the dead and Jack who's a feline changling) on a $7/hr wage, trying to give them some semblance of a good upraising so that they can go forth in the Broken world and make something better of themselves then she did. Her granddad is best considered a zombie (George resurrected him...he does that a lot. He's got a real soft heart and hates to see things die.) and her grandma has a spitfire personality. Their parents...well the mom is dead (after being...rather scandelous) and their dad ran off 4 years ago to hunt for treasure.

As you can see if nothing else, family life is complicated.

Declan took a little longer for me to warm up to, but there's mitigating circumstances after his introduction so I can't really hold this all against him. I do admit to falling somewhat in lustlove with him cause the man has a large array of pointy weapons. A veritable treasure trove of sharp, pointy swords, knives and everything in between. His interactions with Rose border on the 'how quickly before he says something to piss her off' more often than not, but there's no....malicious intent for either of them in their fighting. Its two entirely too similar personalities clashing repeatedly because they're too stubborn to learn better. He tries! I will give him props, he tries really hard to if not give in to Rose's demands, work with them.

Our cast of surrounding characters range from the typical backwoods oily sales car type to the ridiculously terrifying Bad of the book. Casshorn didn't just look terrifying, and it wasn't even his acts that terrified me the most. It was the way he talked. Exaggerated politeness while discussing flaying a person alive and sucking all their juices was then paired with the equivalent of 'I hope your family is doing well' Southern mannerisms. William, who has a variety of roles in the novel and I can't really go into all of them since some of it would include spoilers, is a loose canon. I liked him well enough at first, but like Rose he just seemed kind of...meh to me. Again good reasons.

The book had some really funny lines and the funniest to me was at the very very end, the VERY last page (309 in the mass market paperback edition), five lines down from the top. I can't post it because its a spoiler, but that line right there? I had to drop the book it made me giggle so hard. And sure I'm an easy person to make laugh, but for some reason that line made me really, really happy.

Bottom line is that On the Edge proves that Kate Daniels wasn't some fluke. Its fun, its gritty, its darkly humorous and leaves me wanting more. Unfortunately the as of yet un-named second book isn't due out until September/October 2010 (which of course can change). I'm working on my patience.

PS: For no reason I can ascertain Declan was played by Alexander Skarsgard in my head. Every time Rose (or anyone else) talked about his looks I had Alexander Skarsgard posing. It made for an enjoyable image (though I had pegged him for Curran originally...I guess he can be both :D). ( )
  lexilewords | Dec 28, 2023 |
Not bad, but not a fan of the subject ( )
  Renegadefx | Sep 22, 2023 |
re-read 6/10/13 ( )
  aeryn0 | Jul 23, 2023 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vebell, VictoriaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband. I bet you didn't see that one coming.
'Rosie!' Grandpa's bellow shook the foundations of the house.
[Declan to Georgie and Jack after Rose orders him out of the house]

'The first rule of etiquette a boy learns when he's about to enter society is that civility is due all women. No provocation, no matter how unjust and rudely delivered, can validate a man who fails to treat a woman with anything less than utmost courtesy.'

The boys hung on his every word. He glanced in her direction.

'I have met some incredibly unpleasant women, and I have never failed in this duty. But I must admit: your sister may prove my undoing.' (chapter 5)

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,980,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible