Y: The Last Man Vol. 03: One Small Step

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Paul Chadwick (Illustrator), Pia Guerra (Illustrator), José Marzán, Jr. (Illustrator)

Series: Y: The Last Man (3)

Yorick Brown, the only human male to survive a global sex-specific plague, may not be unique for much longer. As he makes his way across the remains of America (together with a secret government agent, a cloning specialist, and the only other male mammal to survive, Ampersand the monkey), the last man on Earth is about to have an unexpected visitation from above. Three astronauts are descending from the exhausted International Space Station, and two of them are men.… (more)

Vol. 3 was better than the first two. The story is starting to coalesce well. I also liked some of the self-referential/self-deprecating humor that acknowledged two of the things I had complained about in the review for vol. 2 - the use of the word "fuck" and crappy literary allusions (specifically they referenced the use of Shakespearean names in mediocre writings).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the next volumes, once Dave buys them. ;) ( )
  octoberdad | Dec 16, 2020 |
A few ups, a few downs. Or is that crashes?

Oh, Alas, poor Yurick. At least it's refreshing to see a relatively decent man in this position, actually consistently doing the right thing at the right times. You'd think that the last man would be taking advantage of situations like this, but no. Someone raised the kid all right.

I can't say the same about his sister.

I only have one complaint. This is STILL a little toooooooo decent. I mean, for the sake of saving humanity, especially when there are patches of women doing just fine for themselves, who are willing and able to have children, shouldn't he give his gift... just a little? I mean, let's get real here. He's traveling with a highly renowned scientist who impregnated herself with her own clone before the world went to hell. If he really felt bad, he could at least donate and let her give the human race a chance.

Alas.

The end of the volume was rather funny. :) Traveling troupe of women making a play about the Last Man? How prophetic and trashy. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
The last two issues seemed out of place, and while they were amusingly meta, they didn't really add anything to the story. Outside of that, this was another strong trade. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
I think im ready to talk a little more in-depth about this comic now that I've got a pretty good feel for it. It's still a solid four stars for me. Mostly because I can't help but compare it to Saga, even though I know I shouldn't. The art is pretty good writing is pretty good too. Brian Vaughan is an extremely witty writer and I just love his sense of humor. At times his writing is light and funny and at others it's devasatating. I absolutely love the way he weaves in these themes of feminism and gender stratification without being preachy at all. Trying not to sound like an ass here BUT you almost wouldn't catch some of his commentary without being fairly well-read on feminist issues. That being said, this doesn't give me the feels that Saga does. Probably becuase it's not a love story...like I said I know I shouldn't compare.

This insallment brought a lot to the table, in my opinion. We learned more about the World After Y and there was a lot of plot development going on as well as action. I also really enjoyed the mini-story at the end, much to my surprise. While it didn't add a lot to the plot it felt a lot to me like the writers having fun, which I love.

At this point I'm officially invested in the characters and defintley want to read the whole series. I am extremely intrigued by this world and I really want to know how it all plays out. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
I've been flouncing around the house all pouty and restless, unable to come up with a book I could concentrate on for more than five seconds. Because this is the book that I wanted to read, and I thought it wasn't coming out until next month. But we stopped in at the comics store on our way home from some errands this afternoon just to look around, and I barely kept myself from squealing when I saw this book on the shelves. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this series is that good. It's good sci-fi and a good comic. It makes you ponder and it makes you giggle fiendishly. Or at least it makes me giggle fiendishly. If I were limited to reading only one comic this year, this would be it. (but only if I get to catch up on all the back-issues of Strangers in Paradise next year, as cheesy as that is.) ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chadwick, PaulIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán, José, Jr.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, J.G.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Yorick?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,325,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible