Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual…

Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual (edition 2011)

by Sir John Hargrave (Author)

This is the definitive guide to pranking and mayhem. Written in the style of a training manual, but with hilarious illustrations, this book is broken up into five sections. The "Basics" shows kids how to find a pranking partner and how to pull simple pranks like making crank calls. "Prank Moves" explains how to pull pranks at places like home, school, or camp. "Do-It-Yourself" demonstrates things like putting a real worm inside an ice cube. "Experts Only" covers such advanced pranks as how to fake an alien landing. And "Recipes" gives step-by-step instructions on how to bake tuna cookies.… (more)
Member:SnowFallSystem
Title:Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual
Authors:Sir John Hargrave (Author)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (2011), 272 pages

Work Information

Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual by Sir John Hargrave

A fun book that isn't as edgy as the title implies and that's mostly a good thing. Give it to your kids and stand back cause their creativity may be at your expense. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 20, 2020 |
Very funny and full of good prank ideas. Obviously, this book was intended for an age group younger than myself, but I plan on buying a copy of it for use after the Zombie Apocalypse. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
Very good, clever ideas (they included ONE of my favorite pranks, changing autocorrect on word), while maintaining that all pranksters must follow some simple rules (including, be careful, don't be a bully, be creative, don't do anything that causes damage, and make the pranks funny). None of the pranks are mean spirited, the best pranks are the ones where the person being pranked laughs the loudest.

The writing is very clever, (and true!) the book suggests that child pranksters have the advantage when running away from adults because adults subsist on a diet of McDonald's and gravy; a suit is a good outfit because no one expects a bad kid to be wearing a suit, the way to get one is to approach a parent and ask for it. When they ask why, reply "I just think it is time that I owned a suit". Honestly, no parent ever would stand a chance against that argument.

This book recommends that the prankster study hard, get good grades, clean his/her room, and generally maintain a "good kid" appearance so that they can get away with the harmless but hilarious jokes in the book. I am willing to make the trade. My only problems with the book are that it gets sloppy towards the end, the writing is at its cleverest and funniest near the beginning, and that while the writing includes both genders in pranking, the illustrations show many many more boys in the active roles than girls. ( )
  LarsTheLibrarian | Mar 10, 2010 |

There's ordinary mischief, and there's magnificent mischief. Any fool can create ordinary mischief, but only by reading the Mischief Maker's Manual can you create magnificent mischief. Never cruel, but always funny and creative, the mischief in this book will change the art of pranking forever!
Sir John Hargrave, the "King of Dot Comedy," is the editor-in-chief of ZUG (www.zug.com), the world's oldest humor Web site. His comedy work has been featured in the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly and BusinessWeek.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,510,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible