The Tiger in the Smoke by Margery Allingham

The Tiger in the Smoke (1952)

by Margery Allingham

Series: Albert Campion (14)

English (32)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (34)
It's hard to call this a mystery because there's really no mystery beyond a couple of minor facts. It's more a thriller.

This appears to be one of the later volumes in the Campion series, which I didn't know when I read it. I enjoyed it nonetheless. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why but I think it's that, even though the plot was a bit weak, the characters seemed rather vivid. The exception is Campion, himself…perhaps Allingham expected him to be well-known to the reader by this point.

I'll continue with this series, but try to find something a bit earlier to get a sense of the main character. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 1, 2017 |
The Tiger in the Smoke by Margery Allingham
3 stars

This is one of Allingham's later Campion mysteries. It takes place just after WWII, and although Campion, his butler and his friends on the police force do appear in the story, they really seem to have very little to do with solving the mystery. I found the plot a bit difficult to follow. There is a great deal of obscure slang in the conversations and seemingly aimless internal monologues. Unlike earlier mysteries there was more actual violence. This book read more like a suspense thriller than a cozy mystery. It was not my favorite Allingham, but I still enjoyed the satisfaction that goodness triumphed and evil was vanquished.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
The suspense built from the middle of the book on, but I can't say this is one of my favorite Campion books. For one thing, there's very little Campion. The book feels like the odd duck in the Allingham oeuvre. Very dark in physical and emotional ways, not much humor, not much mystery. Ot was still a touching story in some ways but I wouldn't re-read it. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jan 8, 2016 |

Campbell-Notman, FinnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCall Smith, AlexanderIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuovinen, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my godchild, Sally Reid
'It may be only blackmail,' said the man in the taxi hopefully.
“Evil be thou my Good, that is what you have discovered. It is the only sin which cannot be forgiven because when it is finished with you you are not there to forgive.”

"The Smoke" is London, and the "tiger" an evil man who has escaped and is searching for dead army commander's "treasure". Albert Campion's wife's cousin is a new bride-to-be.

Jack Havoc, jail-breaker and knife artist, is on the loose. It falls to Albert Campion to pit his wits against the killer and hunt him down through the city’s November smog before it is too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:45 -0400)

Jail-breaker and knife artist Jack Havoc is once again loose on the streets of London. Word goes around the furtive alleys and darkened pubs that the Tiger is back in town, more vicious and cunning than ever. It falls to Albert Campion to pit his wits against the killer and hunt him down before he kills again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,583,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible