The Villainous Victorians

by Terry Deary

Series: Horrible Histories (Original)

'The Villainous Victorians' lets you in on the darkest secrets of Queen Victoria's Britain - from hard-living criminal kids to harder-hearted toffs who were criminally cruel.

Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/852916/horrible-histories-villainous-victor...

I know I am not the target audience but I absolutely adore Horrible Histories the tv series and was utterly devastated when it finished. Fortunately, most episodes can be found on YouTube. Yay!

Anyways, as a fan, I thought I'd pick up this installment about the Victorians. True to its Horrible Histories roots it features a lot about crime and punishment but somehow focuses on the punishment of children rather than crime and punishment in general. And even more unfortunate, in this book Deary turns to social commentary and outright advocacy of a somewhat political nature, which - considering the intended readership - spoiled the book. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For Ben and Sam Goakes - who are not villainous Victorians (well, they are not Victorians.) TD
To Richard Smith, for all the no worries. MB
History is horrible People in the past did dreadful things to one another and committed horrible crimes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,294,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible