Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet by Kashmira Sheth

Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet

by Kashmira Sheth

Growing up with her family in Mumbai, India, sixteen-year-old Jeeta disagrees with much of her mother's traditional advice about how to live her life and tries to be more modern and independent.

If I recommended one of my friends to read it, I would definatly tell them that it's interesting and inspiring towards our religion and culture we aren't forced into an arraged marriage such as Jeeta's sisters,and we should be thankful we don't go through that. Q4P2 AHS/Cheyannne F.
  edspicer | Jan 6, 2012 |
Book talk:
As you go about your daily lives, you aren't thinking about life in other parts of the world. But really? You should. I think that the more you learn about lives different from your own, the more you learn about yourself. For example, if you were to read about a mother who is busy trying to find a suitable husband for her oldest of three daughters, what thoughts would run through your head? (Pause for discussion.) And how would you feel if your own mother told you that your tongue was too sharp and your skin too dark; therefore, you should say yes to the first man that says yes to you? (Discussion)
All her life, Jeeta, the youngest daughter in this family living in India, is told that it will be hard to find a suitable husband for her because her skin is too dark. And to protect her family's reputation, Jeeta is forbidden to talk with any boys. In the beginning of this book set in Mumbai (formerly Bombay, India), Jeeta just can't help arguing with her mother about everything, but especially about her mother's obsession with arranging the marriages for her sisters and, sometime in the future, Jeeta's marriage. But after making friends with Sarina, an only child of very important and successful parents, Jeeta begins to see a real reason for her persistent arguing with her mother about her future choices in life. And then there is handsome Neel, who not only makes her weak in the knees, but also makes her willing to do the forbidden and TALK WITH A BOY. I liked Jeeta and several other characters in this book and hope I can read in a future book about her going after her nontraditional dream of becoming a lawyer. After all, she has already proven how good she is at arguing! ( )
  lnommay | Jul 9, 2011 |
Have you ever had a friend that has changed your daily life? Jeeta's new friend Sarina inspires her to study harder at school AND helps her see a boy without an adult chaperone, something her traditional parents would not approve of. Explore this realistic fiction about a teen girl in India. Is Jeeta's life anything like yours? ( )
  VaterOlsen | Feb 8, 2011 |
It's all about a girl watching her mother arrange marriages for her two older sisters and questioning why they must be subservient to men. It tells about being and Indian woman and the tradition of that culture. The writing is poetic and at times sassy, which is a much better style than most other books I've read.
4Q, 3P; Cover Art: Awesome!
This book is best suited for Middle and Highschoolers.
This book was selected due to an intriguing cover.
(JP-AHS-NC)
  edspicer | Oct 27, 2010 |
Book Review
Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet

Koyal dark, mango sweet is set in present-day India. The story centers around Jeeta, a sixteen-year-old student, and her family, who live in a cramped one bedroom apartment in the city streets of Mumbai. Jeeta's family is always arranging marriages for her two older sisters, but the drama and excitement leaves Jeeta cold. Where is the love and romance that the movies promise? She is defiantly not looking forward to when it is her turn, especially since Mummy is always complaining about how difficult it will be to find Jeeta a good husband, with her dark skin and sharp tongue. As Jeeta spends more time with her new friend from school, Sarina, and her educated parents, she begins to question her tradition-bound family's expectations…
I think Koyal dark, Mango sweet is wonderfully written and you really get to experience and understand the Indian culture in Mumbai. I think this book will be most enjoyable for teenage girls, at least 12+ ( )
  MathildeB | Oct 21, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,342,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible