Warped Passages by Lisa Randall

Warped Passages (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Lisa Randall

1,1192611,744 (3.78)32
Discusses dimensions of space, early twentieth-century advances, the physics of elementary particles, string theory and branes, and proposals for extra-dimension universes.
Member:Jewsbury
Title:Warped Passages
Authors:Lisa Randall
Info:Penguin Books (2006), Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:***1/2

Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions by Lisa Randall (2005)

Recently added bydeymc, leviatano, lafstern, private library, jesuserro, geoffmangum, AC_cwidaho, pinax
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (GuyMontag70)
    Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction by John Polkinghorne (waltzmn)
    waltzmn: Randall's book on the advanced theoretical (very theoretical!) physics can be difficult even for a person who has had physics training. I frankly got lost several times. Those seeking to build some foundations will be well-served by this small but clear book by John Polkinghorne.… (more)

In this fascinating and readable book, Lisa Randall talks about string theory and the standard model of particle physics. Using multiple dimensions to explain she states why gravity is weak and other such things. All in all a real great book.

Not bad for being almost 11 years old. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
(original review, 2006)

Hi,I am poor English Portuguese who live in very countly side.
We need a Portuguese translate better and I have a Questions.
The some day I had did so tough-Job.After that small-black-holl shown up and it had moved and mice and soft membrance?
Not a elephant,mice or small birds,didn’t swallow house and many zone and areas.Even wall was tightly-closed-container,importat part is why mice had not smashed.And univers looks like alive and mother earth conected each of us.
Did she report you watched from the sky on360℃degree.
Randall knew it.establish a book in reality what has happen there was no trick.Did she?
i m new to this so i dont understand all the subtleties but i have read the feynman lectures and cant find any mistakes in them i would be helpful if u could point them out and in light of this book i think x prime can be any constant not only zero but but this explaining is definitely wrong as once he is equating x prime to zero and another time Randall is equating it to the disatance travelled by light in its time. mathematical nonsense - but it is TRUE !....0 to the power 0 equals 1.....ie ....0 ^ 0 = 1. The problm of Special Relativite is Lorentz Transformation. It breaks conservation of momentum. Here two examples, Collision between two identical objects (http://vixra.org/abs/1803.0005), Collision between two identical objects under Lorentz Boost (http://vixra.org/abs/1802.0326). I agre with conclusion, but i happened to hit it from an entirely different direction. I am weak in math and strong in conceptual imaging. Dificulty of multipling and dividinge by zero is a problem. If you multiple by zero, are you doing nothing or telling the multiplicand to go away? Are you leaving all alone? Or are you telling everyone to disappear? it seems Einstein didn't know about the mathe problems of dealing with dividinge by zero. Based on our present maths; it is usually best on issues like dividinge zero by zero to treat it as forbiden; unless tricks are implicated with talk of limits. Einstein just didnt deal with zero in a rigorus mathematical waye, and so his maths was just bad. And how do we knowe exactly that we have aproprite instrumnts to measure things (light too) goinge faster than lighte speed relative to our frame of reference, if we INSISTe that it is IMPOSSIBLE? We have our own waye to mesure time based on planets, atomic clocks and etc but it doesnt mean that there cant be a universal time. Maybe we just cant measure it right now. If believe the concept that gravity affects time or speed affects time, the if everthing is still, can u say that there is no time? C is not a fact. Its a theory. Resarch "faster than speed of light" and to say that there is nothing that can go faster than speed of light is arrogant who ever stated that. We are only humans we can not know so much. Basing math homework n things we cant bserve and stating it as fact is just b.s. einstein was genius for thinking and predictions bt it doesn't mean he is always right his predictions i dont know how to work on relativity time is just an instant experience for present. in our plane time is measured by cesium atom vibrations aq to IEEE standard primary measurement slot so how to be vibrations could be slow out of planet if we move faster than light how go to the future. i thnk time measurement is different for einstein .. any human being any instant experience time in range of some nano seconds .if we move faster than light we nothing experience about surrounding objects .. automatically the people who travelled with speed of light says i m in future it means speed is light time measure with own measurement of time and human being time measure with own this is all irrelevant. einstein photoelectric effect also have some contradiction they said light is particle and Compton proves small wavelength light waves behave as particle . xperiment data determine if a theory is correct or not. However, I have a logical proof that Lorentz Transformation is wrong.

Go Lisa! ( )
  antao | Oct 18, 2018 |
Engaging most of the time, ponderous at others, this took a bit to get through. I think Ms. Randall did a brilliant job making her world accessible. To think that there are exponential pages of materiel behind this that she and her colleagues work with every day...

My one ding - and it's a pet peeve - is that she used the term "GPS system" seven times when talking about a real world example of compensation for relativity. "GPS", of course, is an acronym for "Global Positioning System", and "GPS System" is redundant.

Still...a brilliant work. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Only read about half of this , will get back to it sometime later maybe ( way too dense ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Randall's book is quite comprehensive and largely understandable for a non-scientist reader like myself. Warped Passages gives a good overview of the evolution of theory about the makeup of the particles, forces and and dimensions that our universe may or may not be comprised of. The trick is not to try to comprehend every single concept and theory or to wrestle every paragraph to the ground before continuing on. Randall is an all-star of the physics world herself, so it is interesting reading about the developments of various theories from her point of view. It took a long time to get through this book: it's 450 pages and the going is sometimes slow. Also, I thought that Randall did not need to go into so much detail describing every single theory that's come down the pike. On the other hand, the book is very well organized, and Randall is frequently candid in saying when upcoming sections can be skipped without endangering a reader's understanding of the overall chronology of string and/or particle theory. My 50-Book challenge for this year went down the drain a while ago, so this was as good a time as any to tackle this challenging but interesting material. ( )
  rocketjk | Aug 29, 2015 |

Lisa Randallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heilmann, AndreasCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hißmann, GundulaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schickert, HartmutTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe has its secrets.
Whatever shape the rolled-up extra dimensions take, and however many there are, at each point along the infinite dimensions there would be a small compact space containing all the curled-up dimensions. So, for example, if string theorists are right, everywhere in visible space—at the tip of your nose, at the North Pole of Venus, at the spot above the tennis court where your racket hit the ball the last time you served—there would be a six-dimensional Calabi-Yau manifold of invisibly tiny size. The higher-dimensional geometry would be present at every point in space.

CONTENTS:
Introduction -- Entryway passages : demystifying dimensions -- Restricted passages : rolled-up extra dimensions -- Exclusive passages : branes, braneworlds, and the bulk -- Approaches to theoretical physics -- Relativity : the evolution of Einstein’s gravity -- Quantum mechanics : principled uncertainty, the principal uncertainties, and the uncertainty principle -- The standard model of particle physics : matter’s most basic known structure -- Experimental interlude : verifying the standard model -- Symmetry : the essential organizing principle -- The origin of elementary particle masses : spontaneous symmetry breaking and the Higgs mechanism -- Scaling and grand unification : relating interactions at different lengths and energies -- The hierarchy problem : the only effective trickle-down theory -- Supersymmetry : a leap beyond the standard model -- Allegro (ma non troppo) passage for strings -- Supporting passages : brane development -- Bustling passages : braneworlds -- Sparsely populated passages : multiverses and sequestering -- Leaky passages : fingerprints of extra dimensions -- Voluminous passages : large extra dimensions -- Warped passage : a solution to the hierarchy problem -- The warped annotated "Alice" -- Profound passage : an infinite extra dimension -- A reflective and expansive passage -- Extra dimensions : are you in or out? -- (In)conclusion.
L'universo racchiude numerosi segreti e potrebbe perfino nascondere dimensioni inimmaginabili: universi paralleli, geometrie curve e inghiottitoi tridimensionali sono alcuni degli straordinari concetti che di recente sono divenuti protagonisti della ricerca scientifica. Oggi, delle leggi del cosmo capiamo molto più di qualche anno fa, eppure abbiamo molte meno certezze sulla sua vera natura. Nel suo percorso di ricerca nel campo della cosmologia e della fisica, Lisa Randall ha dovuto abbattere alcuni paletti della scienza ufficiale e postulare l'inevitabile esistenza, nell'universo, di dimensioni che sfuggono alla nostra percezione. Muovendo dalle grandi scoperte del Novecento, in questo libro Randall spiega ai non addetti ai lavori la sua concezione dell'universo come membrana dotata di quattro dimensioni spazio-temporali immersa in uno spazio multidimensionale, e come questa sia dimostrabile dal punto di vista scientifico.
(piopas)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,331,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible