The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

The Desert Spear

by Peter V. Brett

Recently added byashleytylerjohn, private library, Yoyis13, baggahammers, bookhookgeek, Marmie7, _rixx_

English (47)  German (2)  All languages (49)
I took a while to get into this one, as a lot of the first half consists of flashbacks about Jadir’s youth, whereas I wanted to get on with the now (and Arlen). And the bits about Renna were very distressing and distasteful. But then it got exciting, with things I didn’t remember from the first time I read it several years ago, and I finished the last third quickly. ( )
  Griffin22 | Sep 7, 2018 |
Great successor! We see more of Arlen (and later, Renna, who has a wonderful story), Rojen (who was a bit neglected, to my feeling), Leesha, and a fancy new character! Also, more insight into politics and the demons. Everything was very cool, especially how people had all sorts of agency. I felt that character development ran a bit low in this book, but that's a common theme for second volumes, so let's hope the next one picks it up a bit. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
This was a solid sequel to The Warded Man - both books I really enjoyed. This book is a bit of a surprise as it opens by going back in time and telling some of the story of the world through the eyes of what was a secondary character in they first book. There is even a good section of it that covers the same part of the story, but through the eyes of Jardir rather than of Arlen, the hero of the first book. The rest of the book alternates between a handful of major characters and moves the story along.

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the first one. The world-building was one of my favorite parts of the first book, and this second book is more character driven. That is not a criticism really, more of an observation. I did enjoy this book, and am looking forward to what the author said will be three more in the series. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I loved The Warded Man and his part of this book still kicked ass. I however did not like the other story line. I appreciated that he tried to do something different but it just didn't float my boat. I am hoping the next one bounces back for me. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I really give this one 3.5 stars. but I rounded up. still a neat setting, a novel approach to combat, and an interesting foe. The book was just not nearly as compelling as the first book. and I felt like despite it's length, very few new plot points were added or perhaps the pace and style of the plot points just wasn't as good. It could be I was hungover from the first book, which was action packed and full of discovery. But I think it was just that the book focused so much on side stories, especially Jadir. I just wasn't as interested in his story and the way it was told as I was Arlen's. I think it was a neat approach by the author, to tell the story of the in such detail of Jadir, and blur the lines of who is the hero. But, It just wasn't as successfully pulled off a story as the first book. I appreciate side stories, but there was just something that kept it from a full 4 stars for me. ( )
  Chris.Johnson | Jan 29, 2018 |
For Dani and Cassie
It was the night before the new moon, during the darkest hours when even that bare sliver had set.

"The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that prey upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind half-forgotten symbols of power. Legends tell of a Deliverer: a general who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. But is the return of the Deliverer just another myth? Perhaps not. Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the desert tribes into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar?Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons?a spear and a crown?that give credence to his claim. But the Northerners claim their own Deliverer: the Warded Man, a dark, forbidding figure. Once, the Shar?Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends. Now they are fierce adversaries. Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent?and deadly?than any that have come before" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,995,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible