Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire

Rosemary and Rue

by Seanan McGuire

Series: October Daye (1)

Recently added byWazeau, althaeria, dylzim, Kelsey_Feighner, naree, ballycumber, Eclipse777, g33kgrrl, private library
    War for the Oaks by Emma Bull (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: The fey at home in the big city, moving unknown amongst the mortals.
    Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (leahsimone)
    Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both deal with sort of magical detective work with larger story-arcs at play in the background. Toby and Allie are both strong female characters with a penchant for noticing the way that magic smells.
    Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fantasy / San Fransisco
    Greywalker by Kat Richardson (MyriadBooks)
    A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (Mav.Weirdo)

Goddamn. Goddamn this book. I could have given it 5 stars, but it's first in a series so I have to leave room for improvement.

I love a story about a woman who tries to run from her past but it keeps dragging her back. I loved all the different types of faeries and their rules and chants, even if I sometimes got confused because I know next to nothing about the myths.

Also I sort of ship Toby with someone and I hope to see more of that relationship even if it never becomes romantic. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |
It was kind of a slow starter for me, but when it did finally click, I was really into it! It was a page turner for me there at the last, and I will definitely read on. I have already purchased the next two books. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
bloody, but good. rose goblins! good structure, well written. abuse/manipulation of teens. ( )
  thelevelshelf | Jun 9, 2019 |
Good series start

The Fae being basically evil, I don't usually like them. This book didn't change my mind, but the series is intriguing. ( )
  Sonja-Fay-Little | Jan 24, 2019 |
(First of 13: October Daye series. Fantasy)
(Re-read. LT recommended)

This is the first of the October Daye series, which I've seen raves about around LT; and especially since we're born in the same month (October), I was intrigued enough to order it in to my bookshop and I read it for the first time in April 2015 (when I gave it 4 stars). To be honest, urban fantasy isn't really my sub-genre so I thought I'd give it another go as the inaugural book for our newly created book club (in November 2018). This time I gave it 3.5 to 4 stars. (Consolidating both reviews:)

October (Toby) Daye is a changeling; a child of a fae Daoine Sidhe mother and a mortal father, living on the fringes of immortal fae society - and bitter as heck about it, like all other changelings. Having lost years of her life to fae magic, she now survives from job to job. She had been trapped in a fish pond for fourteen years but, as she can't explain the true reason to her mortal family, they want nothing to do with her now she has returned.

Then she receives a call out of the blue from Countess Evening Winterrose, with whom Toby has a love-dislike relationship, who lays a curse on Toby to solve a crime committed on a pureblood fae living in the mortal realm in the city of San Francisco or she (Toby) will die. The story follows her as she races time to follow the clues through a San Francisco mortals won't entirely recognise and that Toby herself is rediscovering after her long absence.

This time, I found that the first part of the book didn't grab me and pull me in; I kept distracting myself, but that could have been my reading mood. Reading the second half flowed better for me.

Usually I don't find urban fantasy easy to read, but either I've got more comfortable with it, or Ms. McGuire writes very well, because the mortal and fae worlds fit well together here; and even the unexplained displacement of the Sidhe from Ireland to San Francisco didn't throw me (though there was no mention of Native American supernatural creatures). I usually have a problem with urban fantasy of knowing where the boundaries of fantasy and reality blur but I didn't find it an issue in this book.

One of our book club members is Irish and found it a bit disorienting to read about creatures of Celtic mythology displaced to the west coast of America, where they have obviously been for a few hundreds of years. That's one of the issues I usually have with urban fantasy - but this time I just took it as a given. However, a glossary of the different types of fairy creatures and their characteristics would have been useful since Toby comes across many folks with different ancestries in the course of her investigations. I do question the use of the word 'changeling'; usually it is used for the children of faerie who are substituted for mortal children rather than people whose ancestry is a mix of human and faerie.

I quite like Toby but her reluctance to get back in touch with the people who knew her before and have been begging her to come back into their lives is confusing. When she does connect, it is obvious that they have been worried about her with reactions ranging from concern (from women) to infatuation (from at least three men/ male characters). I'm not sure how much sleep or food Toby managed to get over the course of the story and the number of times she was attacked and had to be rescued was also slightly uncomfortable.

McGuire does explain the way her fae survive in the mortal world, crafting illusions to blunt their otherworldly features and having to avoid the pressure of breaking dawn when the magic of the previous day is stripped away. I'm not sure how magic works in her universe but, apart from a couple of spells, it happens and you accept it; you don't have to be told how to use a telephone, for example, because you use it every day so you already know how.

The mystery was solved satisfactorily and I would like to find answers to questions from Toby's past, such as why she was trapped in the fish pond, whether she will find peace with her daughter and maybe find out a bit more about her own mother; so I will read the next book in the series, at least.

Comments from our Book Club night: Toby is short for OcTOBer (two of our six members didn't get that, and I remember it took me a while to realise that when I first came across talk of the series). The story is written like a Dick Francis (noir crime) book with a gender reversal and the addition of faerie. It feels like McGuire's first book, but that could be because it's the first book in a series and she is introducing characters and situations which will, presumably, feature in future books in the series. Toby's reluctance to communicate with people who would willingly help her is a bit frustrating.

Averaging both scores 4**** ( )
  humouress | Jan 20, 2019 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, Mary Mickaleen McGuire, who never made me stop reading.
The phone was ringing. Again.

(from the back of the book) The world of Faerie never disappeared: it merely went into hiding, continuing to exist parallel to our own. Secrecy is the key to Faerie's survival - but no secret can be kept forever, and when the fae and mortal worlds collide, changelings are born. Half-human, half-fae, outsiders from birth, these second-class children of Faerie spend their lives fighting for the respect of their immortal relations. Or, in the case of October "Toby" Daye, rejecting it completely. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the fae world, retreating into a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, Faerie has other ideas.

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose, one of the secret regents of the San Francisco Bay Area, pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Evening's dying curse, which binds her to invertigate, Toby is forced to resume her old position as knight errant to the Duke of Shadowed Hills and begin renewing old alliances that may prove her only hope of solving the mystery... before the curse catches up with her.

Half-fae Toby retreats to the human world after being rejected by her Faerie family, but finds her anonymity compromised by the murder of an important countess who binds her to investigate, forcing Toby to resume her fae position.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,434,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible