Junk mail by Will Self

Junk mail (1995)

by Will Self

Will Self is one of the most important novelists of his generation, and he is as acclaimed in the UK for his outstanding, daring journalism as he is for his fiction. Junk Mail is an original selection of pieces from Self's nonfiction and journalism that will introduce American readers to Self as a literary journalist par excellence. An often irreverent trawl through a landscape of drugs, culture, art, literature, and current events, Junk Mail takes us into the operation of an upstanding crack dealer, inside the unusual society of California cryogenicists, and to sit-downs with people from Morrissey to iconic radical feminist Andrea Dworkin. Whether he is writing about bad boy British artist Damien Hirst, how literary renegade William Burroughs has changed our outlook on art and intoxication, or what the current state of transsexuality has to say about gender for all of us, this is a lively and necessary anthology from one of the defining voices of our times.… (more)

Generally speaking, roundups of previous journalistic forays are ephemeral and dated pieces that do little more than exhibit the clever curlicues of authorial style (never mind that the subjects have diminuendoed from the public interest at large). However, Self bucks the usual trend of grey water writing with a collection of journalistic pieces that remain surprisingly relevant. On another plus side, it provides us mere cross-atlantic cousins an opportunity to read what we missed, not having our own copies of the Guardian readily available. ( )
1 vote Ballardion | Nov 17, 2011 |
For my father, Peter Self,

who kept on at me.
Last year having been a slap-up one for Burroughsians, it was almost too much to hope that the publication of the Letters 1945-1959 would put any more flesh on the junk-atrophied bones of the notorious 'Hombre Invisible'.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,188,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible