The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Year Of The Flood (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Margaret Atwood (Author)

Series: MaddAddam Trilogy (2)

From the Publisher: The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners-a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life-has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers. Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move, but they can't stay locked away. By turns dark, tender, violent, thoughtful, and uneasily hilarious, The Year of the Flood is Atwood at her most brilliant and inventive.… (more)
Member:SmithLibrarian
Title:The Year Of The Flood
Authors:Margaret Atwood (Author)
Info:Virago (2010), Edition: First Paperback Edition

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (2009)

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (haeji)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (DCBlack)
    MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (Philosofiction)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another novel about a dystopian future with strong environmental themes.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Anonymous user)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (sturlington)
    Epitaph Road by David Patneaude (eenerd)
    eenerd: Another interesting look into bio/eco-warfare fallout.
    Shelter by Susan Palwick (wifilibrarian)
    wifilibrarian: Covers these similar themes near future, ecological collapse, eco-christian religion, female main characters, families and friendships.
    A Friend of the Earth by T. C. Boyle (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Dystopien bzgl. kommender Umweltkatastrophen
    The World Without Us by Alan Weisman (Niecierpek)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (hbsweet)
    Pure by Julianna Baggott (eenerd)
    The Prepper Room by Karen Duve (JuliaMaria)

English (329)  Catalan (6)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (343)
I like this rating system by ashleytylerjohn of LibraryThing (https://www.librarything.com/profile/ashleytylerjohn) that I have also adopted:
(Note: 5 stars = rare and amazing, 4 = quite good book, 3 = a decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful.) ( )
  Neil_Luvs_Books | Jul 21, 2021 |
This is the stories of 3 women who are connected to a religion based on the story of the garden of Eden. God's Gardeners believe there will be a waterless flood and they have begun preparing for it by learning to grow their own food and how to forage. And they're vegan. It uses flashback story-telling, too. At about halfway through the book, They have begun bumping into the main characters of O&C as sidelines to their own stories.

I like the way she is weaving these stories around each other.

I don't think you need to read this before you read O&C, but you do need to read both of them before you begin the third book. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Atwood is a genius.

That's not me saying that I adore everything she writes. I only gave this book 3 stars - but that's an "enjoyment factor" rating, certainly not a "skilled writing" or "clever book" rating. Atwood's writing is so good that it's scary. I don't mean I'm scared of the events in the stories (although sometimes there's that), but that she drops her readers straight into the middle of horrendous situations and makes us think, "thank goodness this is only a book and all the stuff she's describing couldn't really happen...uh...wait a minute...uh-oh..." And she does that with *everything*.

Her world-building is imaginative, but you end up recognising the links between what's actually going on in the real world around you and what's going on in the book. I don't even like world-building in my books, but Atwood's "built" world is... ours, with some aspects taken a little bit further. Her images of dystopia are...not so outlandish. You absorb the book-reality and then you see stuff on the news and start to wonder just how far apart the two are. The ethics she describes are not so far from what exist. Her characters are complicated and often very relatable - and often very irritating, but still...yeah, I can see how some of the people I've met could very easily end up going that way in a desperate situation.

It's all slightly disorienting. And so freaking clever.

If anyone other than Atwood had written this story, I'm not sure I'd have finished it. It's so very much not my genre - dystopia, world-building, fantasy, etc - but it's so very well-done that it left me wanting more. ( )
  DebsDd | Jan 18, 2021 |
A novel about events happening parallel to those in in Oryx and Crake, the first volume in this trilogy. While set in the same universe, there were many more characters and that took some of the feeling of isolation out of the post flood world. Atwood's language brings this gene splicing future and its society to life with it's secure conclaves, street gangs, and religious cults. I enjoyed the backstory's of the main characters, Ren and Toby, and how they survived the apocalypse with such different skill sets and came into contact with some of the characters from the first volume of the trilogy. I liked this novel but it wasn't as captivating as Oryx and Crake or the other Atwood works I've read.
  SteveKey | Jan 8, 2021 |
Not as good as "Oryx and Crake," but with Margaret Atwood you can't really go wrong. The plot was pretty slow up until the last 100 pages which picked up the pace, but Atwood definitely immerses you in the world she's created right from the get-go. This is being advertised as a stand-alone novel but it's not. If you haven't read "Oryx and Crake" you probably would have no idea what's going on. They really are companion novels and should be read one after the other. ( )
  bugaboo_4 | Jan 3, 2021 |
Om Margaret Atwoods ”Syndaflodens år” kommer att räknas till de stora framtidsskildringarna går inte att säga ännu, men potentialen finns.

In Hieronymus Bosch–like detail, Atwood renders this civilization and these two lives within it with tenderness and insight, a healthy dread, and a guarded humor.

"The Year of the Flood" is a slap-happy romp through the end times. Stuffed with cornball hymns, genetic mutations worthy of Thomas Pynchon (such as the rakuunk, a combined skunk and raccoon) and a pharmaceutical company run amok, it reads like dystopia verging on satire. She may be imagining a world in flames, but she's doing it with a dark cackle.

Personally, though, I prefer Atwood in a retro mood. I’d easily take “Alias Grace” or “The Blind Assassin” over the lucid nightmares of “The Handmaid’s Tale” or “Oryx and Crake.” But fans of those novels should grab a biohazard suit, crawl into a hermetically sealed fallout shelter, and dive right in.

Canada's greatest living novelist undoubtedly knows how to tell a gripping story, as fans of "The Blind Assassin" and "The Handmaid's Tale" already know. But here there's a serious message, too: Look at what we're doing right now to our world, to nature, to ourselves. If this goes on . . .

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mann, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sawdon, VictoriaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whiteside, GeorgePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE GARDEN

Who is it tends the Garden,
The Garden oh so green?

’Twas once the finest Garden
That ever has been seen.

And in it God’s dear Creatures
Did swim and fly and play;

But then came greedy Spoilers,
And killed them all away.

And all the Trees that flourished
And gave us wholesome fruit,

By waves of sand are buried,
Both leaf and branch and root.

And all the shining Water
Is turned to slime and mire,

And all the feathered Birds so bright
Have ceased their joyful choir.

Oh Garden, oh my Garden
I’ll mourn forevermore
Until the Gardeners arise,
And you to Life restore.

From The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook
For Graeme and Jess
In the early morning Toby climbs up to the rooftop to watch the sunrise.
Maybe sadness was a kind of hunger, she thought. Maybe the two went together.
“Who lives here?” she says out loud. Not me, she thinks. This thing I’m doing can hardly be called living. Instead I’m lying dormant, like a bacterium in a glacier. Getting time over with. That’s all.

The times and species have been changing at a rapid rate, and the social compact is wearing as thin as environmental stability. Adam One, the kindly leader of the God's Gardeners--a religion devoted to the melding of science and religion, as well as the preservation of all plant and animal life--has long predicted a natural disaster that will alter Earth as we know it. Now it has occurred, obliterating most human life. Two women have survived: Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, a God's Gardener barricaded inside a luxurious spa where many of the treatments are edible. The long-awaited new novel from Margaret Atwood. The Year of the Flood is a dystopic masterpiece and a testament to her visionary power.

Have others survived? Ren's bioartist friend Amanda? Zeb, her eco-fighter stepfather? Her onetime lover, Jimmy? Or the murderous Painballers, survivors of the mutual-elimination Painball prison? Not to mention the shadowy, corrupt policing force of the ruling powers...

Meanwhile, gene-spliced life forms are proliferating: the lion/lamb blends, the Mo'hair sheep with human hair, the pigs with human brain tissue. As Adam One and his intrepid hemp-clad band make their way through this strange new world, Ren and Toby will have to decide on their next move. They can't stay locked away...

From Amazon.com

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Margaret Atwood's book L'any del diluvi was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible