Fortress in the Eye of Time by C. J. Cherryh

Fortress in the Eye of Time (edition 1995)

by C. J. Cherryh

Deep in an abandoned, shattered castle, an old man of the Old Magic muttered almost forgotten words. His purpose -- to create out of the insubstance of the air, from a shimmering of light and a fluttering of shadows. that most wonderous of spells, a Shaping. A Shaping in the form of a, young man who will be sent east on the road the old was to old to travel. To right the wrongs of a long-forgotten wizard war, and call new wars into being. Here is the long-awaited major new novel from one of the brightest stars in the fantasy and science fiction firmament.C.J.Cherryh's haunting story of the wizard Mauryl, kingmaker for a thousand years of Men, and Tristen, fated to sow distrust between a prince and his father being. A tale as deep as legend and a intimate as love, it tells of a battle beyond Time, in which all Destiny turns on the wheel of an old man's ambition, a young man's innocence, and the unkept promised of a king to come.… (more)
Member:McCoyD
Title:Fortress in the Eye of Time
Authors:C. J. Cherryh
Info:New York, N.Y. : HarperPrism, c1995.

Fortress in the Eye of Time by C. J. Cherryh

Mirage by Louise Cooper (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Blank slate heroes pulled into complex fantasy worlds

I tried, I tried for so long. But this falls into the category of CJ Cherryh books where a young bewildered man wanders around stumbling into things while nothing discernable happens(*) and I just couldn't keep trudging through that for a whole book let alone a whole series. I'd like to know what happens next, but I suspect nothing does.

(*) Honestly I can't recall any CJ Cherryh book I've encountered that this doesn't describe, but some managed to either disguise it better with more semblance of plot to hold me, or caught me before I'd cottoned onto the pattern. ( )
1 vote zeborah | Aug 23, 2019 |
Tristen is a revenant, the classic hero brought back from the dead. He serves Cefwin, the new king of Ylesuin, and his own destiny, of which he is unsure. Cherryh's world building is competent, but overall I would not call this opening volume of a trilogy her best work!
. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 15, 2018 |
I am a huge fan of CJ Cherryh's scifi works, but have not delved much into her fantasy offerings. I tackled a chunkster fantasy novel of hers this weekend, Fortress in the Eye of Time, and it's a keeper.

As most of her writings, Fortress in the Eye of Time starts very slowly, almost slow enough for me to throw in the towel. But I was determined to give this story my best try, and I'm glad I did.

As with most of her works, this author does not feed you all the background and minor bits of information, but puts you immediately into an ongoing story, like being dropped into a swiftly flowing river, and you have to work in order to keep afloat, but it's so worth it.

The characters are three-dimensional, the plot is believable, and the intrigue and politics are not overstated, but perfectly balanced with the rest of the book. I got so involved with the story that I did not put it down at night until I could not keep my eyes open.

This is a thinking-person's fantasy novel, and highly recommended. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | Apr 18, 2017 |
Ambitious beginning to a series, with lots of complex world building and a main character who knows nothing - less even than Jon Snow.

I thought it was awfully wordy, and would have liked less internal dialog and more action. The story itself was interesting and I can see why so many folks like it. Interesting take on magic and sorcery. ( )
1 vote majkia | Jul 22, 2016 |

This is a thinking-person's fantasy novel, and highly recommended. ( )
2 vote fuzzi | Jan 4, 2016 |

Cherryh, C. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Lynn and Jane for a lot of hours... through the lightning strikes and the rest of it
Its name had been Galasien once, a city of broad streets and thriving markets, of docks crowded with bright-sailed river craft.

High fantasy with an interesting twist as Tristen is Summoned and Shaped to the world and not born there. Politics rules and war comes when lies and deceit are instigated by an evil spirit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,249,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible