An Incomplete Education, Revised Edition by…

An Incomplete Education, Revised Edition (original 1987; edition 1995)

by Judy Jones

Member:birdmadgirl_
Title:An Incomplete Education, Revised Edition
Authors:Judy Jones
Info:Ballantine Books (1995), Hardcover, 704 pages

An Incomplete Education, Revised Edition by Judy Jones (1987)

This book rates 6 stars on the pretentious meter. The authors are mildly entertaining, they'd probably be wonderful entertainment at a cocktail party. But if you'd really like to learn fragments of this sprawling series of subjects, do check out this thing called Wikipedia. Of course there was no such thing at the time this doorstop was published. And some of the information is well, old. The country summaries are a good example, but it somehow works in that you get a snapshot of what the USA thought about various countries in the 1990s. . Sections on Art History, literature, religion, science and lexicon, were very good. Philosophy and psychology sections made my eyes glaze over, as they should, I guess. I don't know about American History. I don't remember that first chapter. It was many months ago. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Jul 25, 2017 |
I wish I could remember where I picked this up. Might have been Hastings, but I get rid of their stickers as soon as possible because they put them in the most inconvenient places.

Anyway, I haven't finished the book yet, but I probably never will. It will be a nightstand/end table fixture from now on.

This is the kind of book you just pick up on occasion and read random bits and pieces here and there. It really is packed with information and the writing style is mostly fun. I really enjoy the authors' take on subjects I'm familiar with, but unfortunately that's not too helpful if you're trying to get a good grasp on things that continue to elude you. I took Economics in college three times and dropped out every time. It didn't make sense then, and even after reading that section in this book several times, it doesn't make sense now. But if you've a mind to explore in more detail, there are great clues here.

I like this book and would recommend it. I most cases, it makes light, easy reading of some interesting subjects. ( )
  TheEclecticBookworm | Feb 18, 2017 |
I love the format and the conciseness of this. Useful knowledge that can come in handy in understanding the news and current events as well as history.
  Atsa | May 23, 2013 |
I love this book! It's funny, informative, and you certainly feel smarter after just browsing its pages. ( )
  Maggie_Rum | Jun 10, 2011 |
My library ordered this book as a memorial for my mother. She was very intellectual and knew much of this stuff. I think she would have enjoyed thumbing through this book. I did. ( )
  myrtis21 | Feb 3, 2010 |

Judy Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilson, Williammain authorall editionsconfirmed
Introduction to the First Revised Edition, July 1994
When this book was first published in the spring of 1987, literacy was in the air.
Introduction to the Original Edition, March 1986
It's like this: You're reading the Sunday book section and there, in a review of a book that isn't even about physics but about how to write a screenplay, you're confronted by that word again: quark.
You signed up for it thinking it would be a breeze.

When it was originally published in 1987, An Incomplete Education became a surprise bestseller. Now this instant classic has been completely updated, outfitted with a whole new arsenal of indispensable knowledge on global affairs, popular culture, economic trends, scientific principles, and modern arts. Here’s your chance to brush up on all those subjects you slept through in school, reacquaint yourself with all the facts you once knew (then promptly forgot), catch up on major developments in the world today, and become the Renaissance man or woman you always knew you could be!

How do you tell the Balkans from the Caucasus? What’s the difference between fission and fusion? Whigs and Tories? Shiites and Sunnis? Deduction and induction? Why aren’t all Shakespearean comedies necessarily thigh-slappers? What are transcendental numbers and what are they good for? What really happened in Plato’s cave? Is postmodernism dead or just having a bad hair day? And for extra credit, when should you use the adjective continual and when should you use continuous?

An Incomplete Education answers these and thousands of other questions with incomparable wit, style, and clarity. American Studies, Art History, Economics, Film, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Science, and World History: Here’s the bottom line on each of these major disciplines, distilled to its essence and served up with consummate flair.

In this revised edition you’ll find a vitally expanded treatment of international issues, reflecting the seismic geopolitical upheavals of the past decade, from economic free-fall in South America to Central Africa’s world war, and from violent radicalization in the Muslim world to the crucial trade agreements that are defining globalization for the twenty-first century. And don’t forget to read the section A Nervous American’s Guide to Living and Loving on Five Continents before you answer a personal ad in the International Herald Tribune.

As delightful as it is illuminating, An Incomplete Education packs ten thousand years of culture into a single superbly readable volume. This is a book to celebrate, to share, to give and receive, to pore over and browse through, and to return to again and again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:08 -0400)

A survey of world culture covers American studies, art history, economics, film, literature, music, philosophy, political science, psychology, religion, science, and world history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,447,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible