The Pact: A Love Story by Jodi Picoult

The Pact: A Love Story (original 1998; edition 2006)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:kdunkel7
Title:The Pact: A Love Story
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Avon (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

The Pact by Jodi Picoult (1998)

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (marcejewels)
    marcejewels: Similar style of writing regarding chapters etc. The friendship is between 2 girls.
    Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (jbvm)
    Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman (jbvm)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)

English (165)  Italian (1)  All languages (166)
A story of two sets of families, neighbors, whose children are so close they are like siblings. As they mature they become lovers, but the girl doesn't feel right about it. She becomes pregnant and wants to kill herself. She has Chris help her. She dies and he's accused of murder.
Some of the errors in the book bothered me, but over all it was a good book. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
If I am being honest, I had a hard time with this. The writing is beautiful and captivating, as always with Jodi Picoult. But the subject left me feeling uneasy for days and I don't think I will read this one again... ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
It's been a while since I read this but I still remember it. Very riveting story and characters. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
What is it about Jodi Picoult novels that makes me keep reading them? They're all essentially the same - courtroom drama in which the accused insists on testifying against their lawyer's advice at the very last moment in a move that's only a surprise to anyone who hasn't previously read a Jodi Picoult novel.

And yet I keep coming back for more. There is a depth to them that is absent in many other novels and they are always massively emotionally charged. In this case the story centres around a teen suicide and its effect on two very close families. I wasn't entirely sure I bought the reason for the suicide, or that the parents would have had absolutely no inkling what was going on, but on the other hand not giving the accused bail was a bold move, and there was a lot of realism in the way people didn't automatically all live happily ever after at the end. ( )
  jayne_charles | May 16, 2018 |
I had an interesting experience reading "The Pact" - I couldn't put it down, yet I almost couldn't bear to feel the pain of the characters as the plot continuously unwound. The story is brilliantly written, bouncing from perspective to perspective, giving us a unique view of the picture as a whole while leaving out key fragments until we, the readers, were ready to read them. Picoult's writing is poignant and touching, putting things in such a way that I couldn't help but feel sympathy for every character in the book in some way. It is an intense journey that will leave you guessing at what the truth actually is until the very end. ( )
  Caltania | Apr 26, 2018 |
Who ever loved that loved not at first signt?
--CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE
Hero and Leander
Let us embrace, and from this very moment vow an eternal miserY together.
--THOMAS OTWAY
The Orphan
This one's for my brother, Jon,
who knows the cost of the Space Toilet, the spelling of Tetris, and the way to fnd a chapter accidentally lost in the bowels of my computer.
I hope you also know how terrific I think you are.
There was nothing left to say.

For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061150142, Mass Market Paperback)

Until the phone calls came at three o'clock on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily is dead—shot with a gun her beloved and devoted Chris pilfered from his father's cabinet as part of an apparent suicide pact—leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.

From New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult—one of the most powerful writers in contemporary fiction—comes a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

A teenage suicide pact between a pregnant girl and her boyfriend, both children of wealthy New England families. He shoots her, but fails to shoot himself and is charged with murder. At the trial he explains what made them do it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,660,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible