The Pact: A Love Story by Jodi Picoult

The Pact: A Love Story (original 1998; edition 2006)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:kdunkel7
Title:The Pact: A Love Story
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Avon (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

The Pact by Jodi Picoult (1998)

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (marcejewels)
    marcejewels: Similar style of writing regarding chapters etc. The friendship is between 2 girls.
    Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (jbvm)
    Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman (jbvm)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)

English (162)  Italian (1)  All (163)
What is it about Jodi Picoult novels that makes me keep reading them? They're all essentially the same - courtroom drama in which the accused insists on testifying against their lawyer's advice at the very last moment in a move that's only a surprise to anyone who hasn't previously read a Jodi Picoult novel.

And yet I keep coming back for more. There is a depth to them that is absent in many other novels and they are always massively emotionally charged. In this case the story centres around a teen suicide and its effect on two very close families. I wasn't entirely sure I bought the reason for the suicide, or that the parents would have had absolutely no inkling what was going on, but on the other hand not giving the accused bail was a bold move, and there was a lot of realism in the way people didn't automatically all live happily ever after at the end. ( )
  jayne_charles | May 16, 2018 |
I had an interesting experience reading "The Pact" - I couldn't put it down, yet I almost couldn't bear to feel the pain of the characters as the plot continuously unwound. The story is brilliantly written, bouncing from perspective to perspective, giving us a unique view of the picture as a whole while leaving out key fragments until we, the readers, were ready to read them. Picoult's writing is poignant and touching, putting things in such a way that I couldn't help but feel sympathy for every character in the book in some way. It is an intense journey that will leave you guessing at what the truth actually is until the very end. ( )
  Caltania | Apr 26, 2018 |
This is the first Jodi Picoult book that I have read and I'm unable to rate it less than 5 stars. I put it hardly down and made me think of it sometimes through the day. Chris and Emily is that kind of couple that you get attached to (at least I did). The epilogue was heart breaking but it was needed, I always loved both families and tried to understand them. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
The Hartes and The Golds have lived next door to each other for years. The two couples are best friends, and their children – Christopher and Emily – grew up together, and eventually fell in love. Life is seemingly idyllic for the families, until the night where Emily is killed from a gunshot to the head, and Chris tells his parents that it was a suicide pact gone wrong. Neither family wants to believe this could have happened and both want to know the truth. But as the police investigation begins, both sets of parents have to question how well they really knew their children at all.

As is almost always the case with Jodi Picoult, this book is compelling reading, and held my interest throughout. There are two timelines – the one in the past which builds up the history of Chris and Emily’s relationship, and the one in the present day, which focuses on the police investigation and the discovery of what really happened that fateful night.

As it transpired, I actually found myself disliking both sets of parents and feeling more sympathy towards the Chris and Emily – Emily in particular, not only because she dies at the very start of the story, but also because she actually seemed the most likeable character of all. I did enjoy the character of Jordan McAfee, Chris’s attorney and his assistant Selena. I was not particularly able to warm to Chris but I had to remind myself that he was a privileged (read, spoiled) teenager, going through an incredibly tough process. There were a few things that jarred with me – Emily’s mother Melanie mistakenly believes at one point that her new neighbours are a gay couple and wonders what kind of neighbourhood she and her family have moved to. I’m not sure if this was meant to be a reflection upon the character of Melanie herself however, I also felt that Emily and Chris were almost pushed together because it was what their parents’ wanted, not necessarily what they themselves might have wanted.

Nonetheless, if you want a story that moves along at a good pace, despite alternate chapters set in different timelines, and one that that will keep you guessing as well as presenting the reader with a moral dilemma, then I would probably recommend this book. It’s not Picoult’s best (my own lowly opinion would rate that as the excellent Nineteen Minutes) but it’s still an absorbing story. ( )
  Ruth72 | Nov 28, 2017 |
Never take the gift of love lightly.

How far would you go to ease away your beloved's pain?
How far would you go in love?
It's intense.
It's an emotional roller-coaster ride.
So brace yourselves.

“I love you," he whispered, and that was the moment he knew what he was going to do. When you loved someone, you put their needs before your own. No matter how inconceivable those needs were; no matter how fucked up; no matter how much it made you feel like you were ripping yourself into pieces.

A dead girl,an injured boy.
The gun belongs to him.
He put two bullets in it but why didn't he use the second bullet?
Why are there signs of violence?
He claims to be in love with her,he is mourning her death.
But why does the evidence indicate murder?

“She was all the things I wasn't. And i was all the things she wasn't. she could paint circles around anyone; I couldn't even draw a straight line. She was never into sports; I've always been. Her hand, it fit mine.”

Emily & Chris.Their parents,Hartes & Golds,have been neighbours close friends for eighteen years.
They are happy for Emily and Chris to be lovers,they have always wanted that to happen.
But a midnight call changes everything.

"Fusion."He smiled at the jury."It means that two personalites have bonded together so strongly that a whole new personality is created,and the separate ones cease to exist."

It's hard for me to review this book.It's great.It gave me goose bumps at times.It made me cry.It made me shiver.
What made it special?
~The unusual plot,the story
~The writing style
~The well-written characters
~The special bond Emily & Chris shared
~It affected me in ways no other book did.

"What do I do to bring him back?"
"You don't have to do anything.He'll come around."
"How do you know that?"
"Because you're two halves of a whole."

Highly recommended! ( )
  Palwasha_Here | Nov 17, 2017 |
Who ever loved that loved not at first signt?
--CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE
Hero and Leander
Let us embrace, and from this very moment vow an eternal miserY together.
--THOMAS OTWAY
The Orphan
This one's for my brother, Jon,
who knows the cost of the Space Toilet, the spelling of Tetris, and the way to fnd a chapter accidentally lost in the bowels of my computer.
I hope you also know how terrific I think you are.
There was nothing left to say.

For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061150142, Mass Market Paperback)

Until the phone calls came at three o'clock on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily is dead—shot with a gun her beloved and devoted Chris pilfered from his father's cabinet as part of an apparent suicide pact—leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.

From New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult—one of the most powerful writers in contemporary fiction—comes a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

A teenage suicide pact between a pregnant girl and her boyfriend, both children of wealthy New England families. He shoots her, but fails to shoot himself and is charged with murder. At the trial he explains what made them do it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible