I Told You So by Kate Clinton

I Told You So

by Kate Clinton

Despite Rachel Maddow's blurb on the cover, I didn't find this particularly funny, which was a surprise as I've read other work by Clinton that was. Maybe it's just too dated.
  lilithcat | Sep 27, 2012 |
good sick-bed reading! ( )
  mariabiblioteca | Jun 23, 2011 |
I'm hard-pressed to figure out how to describe the writing of Kate Clinton. Given that she is a comedian, it seems like funny should be a part of my description, but it's not. There were a few places where I actually chuckled while reading, but I can count those instances on one hand. Her writing seems to be more of a wry, feminist, every-woman take on current and political events. She's flippant and sarcastic and gets to the point of each of her essays quickly.

So once the expectation of comedy is lowered, what's left is a collection of essays that sum up the liberal, feminist, queer view of politics from 2006 to late 2008. The last throes of Bush are described and then the primaries and general presidential election are re-told from Clinton's perspective. Given that she is a 60 year old woman who's not afraid to speak her mind, her essays obviously state her points firmly. She doesn't beat around the Bush, she beats the Bush directly.

Clinton's take on the last few years of politics is a worthy read, voiced from a feminist that is worth listening to. ( )
1 vote ironicqueery | Jul 12, 2009 |

I Told You So is a hilarious, bittersweet, and politically acute survival guide. In collected columns and routines, Kate Clinton gleefully details personal coping techniques tested over a lifetime. They're perfectly suited for political and cultural upheaval: wildcatting for democracy, curbing your cynicism, and changing the climate. Read them and you'll never be voted off the island.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:45 -0400)

A hilarious, bittersweet, politically acute survival guide. In collected columns and routines Clinton gleefully details personal coping techniques tested over a lifetime. They're perfectly suited for political and cultural upheaval: wildcatting for democracy, curbing your cynicism, and changing the climate. Read them and you'll never be voted off the island. She spans refreshingly disparate topics: sexual hypocrisy and gay marriage; 9/11 and its aftermath; girls gone wild and boys gone to war; Hillary Clinton and U.S. politics; baptism and waterboarding; as well as intelligent design and body shows; P-town and families of choice; and even bee colony and other collapses. As a humorist for over twenty-five years, Clinton believes that making light--light enough to see and light enough to move--is what sustains us. What unites the essays is a Möbius strip of humor intended not to dissipate outrage but rather to motivate action.--From publisher description.… (more)

Beacon Press

2 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807044423, 0807044555

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,915,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible