Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

Juliet, Naked (edition 2010)

by Nick Hornby

Annie initiates an e-mail correspondence with Tucker Crowe, a reclusive Dylanish singer-songwriter, and a connection is forged between two lonely people who are looking for more out of what they've got. What happens when a washed-up musician looks for another chance? And a childless woman looks for a change?… (more)
Member:sombrio
Title:Juliet, Naked
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:Riverhead Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 406 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

English (135)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (149)
I avoided reading the synopsis for this book until I was nearly closed to finishing it; I'm not sure why. But there's something to be said for not knowing what to expect. I started out with the expectation of a book that would pick apart the end of a relationship, but ended up with something a bit more nuanced - and a lot more enjoyable - than I would have expected.

There are the little details about relationships, life, and music that I enjoy about Hornby's work. For example, he talks about the elitism about one's musical tastes that would cause someone to be disappointed when his track listings are automatically pre-populated by his musical software, and the desire to discover something obscure and different. He also talks about the obsessions of fandom and the gray area it shares with some elements of academia. He also thankfully spends a lot of time in the heads of these three main characters, and the results are witty and endearing.

Those of you who have read this book know that there is some impertinence (some 'cheek' if you will) to writing a review about a book that in part makes fun of people who go online to share their often wretched opinions about things to a community of people with shared interests. But here it is.

Just as one of the protagonists, Tucker, is quick to point out he is no Shakespeare or Leonard Cohen, and that he should just be taken as what he is, I would argue the same for this book. It is engrossing and light and enjoyable, and I would probably read it again. Parts of it made me literally laugh out loud, with the kind of recognition of the human condition that I like to flip over and over in my head because it's fun to do. As it stands, though, the parts of the human condition that Hornby graces us with here are not earth-shattering: They are nothing more (or less) trivial than the arrogant jerks who frequent many a website comment section, the observations children can make that are so profound simply because they are so innocent and tactless, and the trials of growing older, falling in and out of love, and why Morrissey fans can be really monomaniacal. Overall, a lovely and entertaining ride. ( )
  irrelephant | Feb 21, 2021 |
Not Hornby's best but a still a lovely sad tale about misspent time. Touches lightly on questions of fraut relationship between artists and their fans, enough to both generate discussion but feel modest. Read in about 3 days and makes me want to complete his bibliography ("A Long Way Down" and "How to Be Good" to go). ( )
  Smokler | Jan 3, 2021 |
Reading Juliet, Naked was depressing. It’s a good enough story, well thought out and written. I've always been a fan Nick Hornby. He writes honest things that apply to our daily lives that make us face existential questions; which can be debatable topic, depending on where you stand in the ‘dealing with reality’ debacle. I, for one, prefer to deal with this issue, when the whim takes me, or when reading the right book so Juliet, Naked got me thinking.
Tucker Crowe was felt like an afterthought in this book. Even though everyone seemed sufficiently obsessed with him and his life, his story on its own was unfulfilled. It left me dry and somewhat sad. I suppose there was no other way it could have been but his life was so lacking. How does a person live like he does? Self-hatred should be temporary and directed at a certain point in your life and not your whole being.
As for Anne (I think that was her name. I finished the book 15 minutes ago but first person narrative doesn't leave you knowing much about who a person is from an outside perspective, including names, in my opinion.), she wasted her life. I don’t know how someone can do that to themselves. Self-worth is earned and then deserved. Instead, she squanders her youth on a useless guy in a useless town, ambition-less. Surely people don’t need to be told to make themselves happy. Isn't that what is told to each of us is told by parents, relatives, guidance counselors, college professors, friends …? We don’t need huge blinking neon warnings like this book and many other works of art to let us know that our lives are in our hands.
I complain, but these are the types of books I like. There’s something attractive about people living sad, unfulfilled lives.
  Hiwot.Abebe | Sep 28, 2020 |
If there was a 1/2 star option I'd probably give it 3 1/2 as its not quite as good as High Fidelity or About a Boy. It was a quick, funny, enjoyable read. I would definitely recommend this to my btx friends for its take on internet message boards. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
I loved the movie, much more than I expected to, which made me decide to read the novel. I'm writing this about 10 months after I read it, and to be honest I can't remember a single thing about the book. No, wait, I remember one thing: Duncan was even worse in the book than in the movie, in part because he broke into the home of the titular Juliet whilst sight-seeing in the US. I also remember that the book ended pretty unsatisfactorily for me, though to be honest I can't remember a thing about how it ended except that it was ambiguous and just left me feeling kind of "meh".

I've never read a Nick Hornby book, though I've seen three of the movies (and About a Boy is really great). Having read this book, I'm not inclined to give another of his a try unless in movie form. ( )
  AeshaMali | Aug 9, 2020 |
Hornby seems, as ever, fascinated by the power of music to guide the heart, and in this very funny, very charming novel, he makes you see why it matters.

For all the bits and bytes flowing through it, this is not a particularly electrifying setup. Any novel about a rock star must first get past the ekphrastic nightmare of trying to describe music with prose. But more than that, this is a novel about people who have wasted massive chunks of their lives.. They're trying to make the best of what's left, but what's left just isn't that great. Juliet, Naked is a bleaker book than Hornby's A Long Way Down, and that was about four people trying to kill themselves.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Oct 5, 2009)

Without the tangents and occasional tedium of its middle section, Juliet, Naked could have been a classic novella about our current, internet-fueled pop-culture moment. As it is, the novel is still Hornby’s most inspired in more than a decade; now, if only he could find a way to apply that same inspiration to a greater variety of situations that aren’t so obviously near to his own heart.
added by Shortride | editPopdose, Jon Cummings (Oct 1, 2009)

A more treacly writer than Mr. Hornby would engineer new happiness for each of [its] characters. But in its diffident way, “Juliet, Naked” is as candid as the unplugged music on “Naked.” It knows its characters too well to lie about them.

Hornby’s first novel, “High Fidelity,” demonstrated the author’s passion for music and the magical effects it can have on its fans. In “Juliet, Naked,” he shows how obsessing over music isn’t the road to love and self-actualization. It’s the road to heartbreak.
added by Shortride | editNew York Post, Reed Tucker (Sep 27, 2009)

For Amanda, with love and thanks
They had flown from England to Minneapolis to look at a toilet.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,906,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible