Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Wrestler [Blu-ray] by Darren Aronofsky

Wrestler [Blu-ray] (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Darren Aronofsky (Director), Mickey Rourke (Primary Contributor), Marisa Tomei (Primary Contributor), Darren Aronofsky (Producer), Scott Franklin (Producer)6 more, Robert D. Siegel (Writer), Mickey Rourke (Actor), Marisa Tomei (Actor), Evan Rachel Wood (Actor), Mark Margolis (Actor), Todd Barry (Actor)

Member:steelman68
Title:Wrestler [Blu-ray]
Authors:Darren Aronofsky (Director)
Other authors:Mickey Rourke (Primary Contributor), Marisa Tomei (Primary Contributor), Darren Aronofsky (Producer), Scott Franklin (Producer), Robert D. Siegel (Writer)5 more, Mickey Rourke (Actor), Marisa Tomei (Actor), Evan Rachel Wood (Actor), Mark Margolis (Actor), Todd Barry (Actor)
Info:Studiocanal (2009)
Collections:DVD

The Wrestler [2008 film] by Darren Aronofsky (2008)

2008 (1) _stream (amazon) (1) aronofsky (1) BK4 (1) catch (1) combat (1) comeback (1) cover (1) CP (1) drama (9) DVD (12) Evan Rachel Wood (4) film (4) Marisa Tomei (5) Mickey Rourke (6) movie (5) movies (1) Movies/TV (1) non-fiction (1) read (1) redemption (2) screenplay (1) sport (3) sports (3) star (1) to-read (2) UW (1) viewed (1) W (1) wrestling (4)

The Wrestler (2008)

Written by Robert Siegel
Directed by Darren Aronofsky

Colour. 109 min.

=======================================

One hell of a performance by Mickey Rourke! Quite rightly it earned him, at the age of 56, his first Oscar nomination. Quite wrongly he didn’t win. No offence to Sean Penn; he was great in Milk. But his gay activist was a task not nearly so hard. Rourke had a burnt-out middle-aged wrestler at his disposal, still a star (sort of) in the ring but a pathetic loser outside of it. He had to turn this human wreck into a tragic character. And he did. He did a fabulous job!

I don’t know how accurate the wrestling details are and I couldn’t care less. The scenes with the stripper (Tomei) and the daughter (Wood) make this movie really moving. “And now, I’m an old broken down piece of meat”, Randy says to his estranged daughter, “and I’m alone. And I deserve to be all alone. I just don’t want you to hate me.” I don’t know about her, but I certainly don’t hate him. “The Ram” has bungled a lot in his life, and continues to ram things, but he is a good-natured and kind-hearted man who is treated worse than he deserves. Cassidy is a case in point. She comes to regret her hasty rejection, but the moment that might have changed her and Randy’s life has passed. “The only place I get hurt is out there”, he says to her in the end, pointing away from the ring: “The world don’t give a shit about me.” She says she’s here, “really here”, but Randy is too polite to reply “Well, baby, you’re too late”. Such is life, as Sainte-Beuve said and Somerset Maugham quoted: extreme happiness and extreme despair separated by the trembling of a leaf.

I am not in love with Aronofsky’s semi-documentary style of direction, the pace can be a bit slow at times and some of the wrestling stuff is more graphic than relevant, but never mind all that. Mickey Rourke makes the journey totally worthwhile. The ending is open. You must supply it yourself. If you are an incorrigible sentimentalist, you will be happy to supply “and they lived happily ever after”. If your sentiments still have a touch with reality, you will know there is no happy end here. ( )
  Waldstein | Apr 1, 2019 |
A professional wrestler is broke and too old.

Crazy good acting from Rourke. It's hard to say what I don't like about the story. I want to say it's too slow, but I was never bored; it just... stands still a lot, with a character you expect and want to be Making Things Happen. ( )
  comfypants | Feb 17, 2016 |

Darren Aronofskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rourke, Mickeysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tomei, MarisaActresssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, Evan RachelActresssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Darren Aronofsky’s The Wrestler is an insightful behind-the-scenes meditation on the film’s provocative characters and the choices they make. Once a hugely successful WWF wrestler, Randy the Ram now ekes out a living performing for diehard wrestling fans from the 1980s in high school gyms and community centers around New Jersey. But when he suffers a heart attack, Randy’s doctor tells him he needs to lay off the steroids and stop wrestling altogether. Forced out of show business, Randy begins to evaluate the state of his life. But the pull of the spotlight is too strong and he attempts once again to find his way back into the ring. Featuring actors Mickey Rourke, Academy award–winning Marisa Tomei, and Evan Rachel Wood, this book is an extension of Aronofsky’s filmic vision, and will contain film stills, the original shooting script, still photos, original art, and observations by its creators, cast, and crew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

Back in the late '80s, Randy 'The Ram' Robinson was a headlining professional wrestler. Now, decades past his prime, he barely gets by working small wrestling shows in VFW halls and as a part-time grocery store employee. He faces health problems that may end his wrestling career and is attempting to come to terms with his life outside the ring. He wants to reconcile with the daughter he abandoned in childhood and begins a relationship with a stripper. He struggles with his new life and an offer of a high-profile rematch with his 1980s arch-nemesis, 'The Ayatollah,' which might just be his ticket back to stardom.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible