Howl's Moving Castle (1986)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Series: Howl's Castle (1)

10,441410560 (4.28)1 / 593
Eldest of three sisters in a land where it is considered to be a misfortune, Sophie is resigned to her fate as a hat shop apprentice until a witch turns her into an old woman and she finds herself in the castle of the greatly feared wizard Howl.
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (DeltaQueen50)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another in the same series featuring Howl and Sophie Pendragon (nee Hatter)
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (Anonymous user, rosylibrarian)
    Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Also features Howl and Sophie
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (LCoale1)
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Despite a castle being in the titles of both books, each novel is really about the human stories contained within and the characters' interaction with the magic they come in contact with.
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing - whimsical and magical
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (foggidawn)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bell7)
    The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: sweet romance
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (mysimas)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (tralliott)
    Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (lottpoet)
    Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (mysimas)
    mysimas: Playful, humorous fantasy with a strong focus on the developing romance.
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and tone, both books are filled with magic and wizards, spells and rumors about mysterious and dangerous beings to be avoided.
    The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although Howl's Moving Castle is considered YA, this book reminded me of it in the whimsical and quirky way the story is written and the romance and magic involved. Both books are delightful!
    Tellos, Vol.1 by Todd Dezago (FFortuna)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (SunnySD)

1980s (3)

English (400)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (405)
): ( )
  pmesinas | Sep 28, 2022 |
I really liked this book. Not sure if I like the book or the movie better though. I liked some parts better in the movie and some I liked better from the book.

Two things I like to point out is one this book is very relaxing. So I took my time with this one. And second, I found this in the kids section of a bookstore, when I think this is more of a young adult book than a kids story. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
This book is good. Not as great as I'd expected from the glowing reviews I've read of it and all the loyalists on social media, but it's pretty engaging. I love many middle-grade and YA books even as an adult, but this may be one that just really is most enjoyed by its target audience.
It is an intriguing world and story, but didn't suck me in enough for me to go singing its praises. The protagonist got on my nerves a lot, too, which didn't help. I wish I'd been able to find more enjoyment in it. ( )
  jessoftheBooks | Aug 23, 2022 |
Here's me trying to say anything besides "I love this": this is a story about family, love, finding your own value and your courage. It is full of magic and it has wonderful characters (especially Sophie. And Howl. And Sophie.). This book made me smile and laugh so many times. It is wonderful and now I want to read more books by this author and I definitely will. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
Howl’s Moving Castle was pretty cute. This was my first time reading it, and I’ve never seen the movie, so I didn’t know anything about the story. I think I would have enjoyed it more as a child, but it was still pretty fun as an adult. The main character is 18, but I thought it felt like a younger story.

The story follows Sophie, the oldest daughter of three. Because she lives in a fairy tale world where magic is real, she knows she’s destined for failure if she tries to leave home to seek her fortune, so she’s resigned to a long and boring life making hats. That part made me laugh, because it’s a common theme of the fairy tales I’ve read that the third child is always the successful one. In spite of her intentions of leading a boring life, Sophie gets mixed up with a witch (who places a curse on her) and a wizard (who lives in a moving castle that she essentially moves into without being invited).

There is quite a lot of humor and I laughed several times while reading it. I liked Sophie and her feisty personality, and I cared what happened to her although I didn’t always understand her decisions. The story was entertaining, but I wasn’t engrossed by it. The ending was ok, a bit rushed, but I didn’t have any major complains except that the romance between Sophie and Howl seemed ridiculous to me as I didn’t see anything in the story to make it believable. I saw the hints that it might develop, but not any actual development and I didn’t feel like either character really got to know the other very well. I was expecting it to be a continuing thread left for later books in the series, so I was surprised when at the end of this book they were suddenly all but scheduling their wedding. Of course, a benefit of there being so little development for the “romance”(?) means that it wasn’t an intrusive part of the story, so it didn’t annoy me until the end.

I liked the book, but I don’t feel any desire to continue the series. I’m rating it at 3.5 stars and rounding up to 4 on Goodreads because of how many times it made me laugh. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jul 23, 2022 |

Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stimpson, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Stephen
The idea for this book was suggested by a boy
in a school I was visiting, who asked me to
write a book called The Moving Castle.
I wrote down his name, and put it in such a safe
place, that I have been unable to find it ever since.
I would like to thank him very much.
In the land of Ingary where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three.
She was not even the child of a poor woodcutter, which might have given her some chance of success! Her parents were well to do and kept a ladies' hat shop in the prosperous town of Market Chipping. -- Chapter 1 (p.1)
It was odd. As a girl, Sophie would have shriveled with embarrassment at the way she was behaving. As an old woman, she did not mind what she did or said. She found that a great relief.  -- Chapter 5 (p.83)
This record is for the book, not the movie. Please do not combine this with the movie or the DVD.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,899,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible