Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Howl's Moving Castle (1986)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Series: Howl's Castle (1)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (DeltaQueen50)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another in the same series featuring Howl and Sophie Pendragon (nee Hatter)
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (Anonymous user, rosylibrarian)
    Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Also features Howl and Sophie
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (infiniteletters)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (LCoale1)
    The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Despite a castle being in the titles of both books, each novel is really about the human stories contained within and the characters' interaction with the magic they come in contact with.
    A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing - whimsical and magical
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bell7)
    Flora Segunda: Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand Rooms, and a Red Dog by Ysabeau S. Wilce (foggidawn)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (tralliott)
    Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez (SunnySD)
    The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: sweet romance
    Jinx by Sage Blackwood (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar in style and tone, both books are filled with magic and wizards, spells and rumors about mysterious and dangerous beings to be avoided.
    Ithanalin's Restoration by Lawrence Watt-Evans (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: When reading these books it seems that they have a great deal that would be make each compliment the other.
    Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (kkisser)
    The Chocolatier's Wife by Cindy Lynn Speer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although Howl's Moving Castle is considered YA, this book reminded me of it in the whimsical and quirky way the story is written and the romance and magic involved. Both books are delightful!
    Tellos, Vol.1 by Todd Dezago (FFortuna)
    The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey (Anonymous user)

English (308)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (313)
Utterly charming. I liked it better than the movie, and I like the movie quite a bit. ( )
  Jeeps | Jul 26, 2018 |
Listening to on CD with kids. so far, so good.

A fine narrator of a terrific story of kooky magic, a snarky, sullen Howl, his equally histrionic fire demon, Calicifer, and the nosy, prematurely aged Sophie. The story is complex and enjoyable. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
Listening to on CD with kids. so far, so good.

msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

Though I haven’t seen the anime in years, this has been one of my favorites from the director since the first time I saw the movie. I’ve always known, sort of in the back of my head, that it was drawn from a novel, but when I came across the eBook recently, it was time to see that side of the picture.

The novel in no ways disappoints. The movie successfully recreated the feel of the book, which is one of the reasons I liked it so much. I need to rewatch the anime now to figure out what was different, but the sad, if only in her perspective, tale of Sophie Hatter, the oldest of three in a fairytale world, unfolds beautifully.

Sophie believes her role in life is predetermined by the common themes of the fairytale, so much so that she’s blind to her own reality. Her two younger sisters are both self-absorbed and worried about her in their own ways, while the truth behind her stepmother doesn’t come clear until much later in the story.

There are a lot of seeds that lack enough information to give me answers and yet draw me in with the possibilities and keep me guessing. As I go through my notes, I see for one character several suggestions of who he might be that are later proven false and yet turn out to be true in a weird way. Calcifer, the fire demon Sophie meets in Howl’s castle, is handing Sophie hints she’s slow to see, but which start to paint a very different picture of the story she’s joined than she expected.

Howl, on the other hand, is the opposite of what Sophie believed him to be, and yet, the more she knows him, the more she sees how the stories are true. Where her enchantment both matured her and freed Sophie from her own fears, Howl is immature to a fault and everyone around him engages in the process of helping him navigate the world despite his nature.

It’s a silly little story with a silly ending, but at the same time, it’s a moving tale of fears and relationships, and of laying claim to your place in the world instead of accepting what you believe is true.

I very much enjoyed the time I spent in this world and with these characters. Even better, the edition I have has an interview with the author at the back that reveals there are more tales available in the fairytale world with these characters. I found the interview a delight as her engagement with the characters is very true to the feel of the world as a whole. ( )
  MarFisk | Jun 7, 2018 |
I really liked this!

I enjoyed the story, and how it was different from what I'd seen in the movie. I liked Sophie and her sisters, and Howl was great. I don't know if I missed it in the movie, but the Howl romancing girls thing wasn't a thing? I liked that aspect in this novel though. I still got that whimsical feeling from the audiobook and I really love the world that Jones created. The plot was very intriguing and I liked how everything fit together.

The narrator was kind of annoying. I really found his voice for Howl was extremely annoying, and it felt like he was yelling a lot. His voice grated at times.

Overall, I really enjoyed this whimsical story, and I really want to pick up the physical novel. ( )
  jdifelice | Jun 3, 2018 |

Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Stephen
The idea for this book was suggested by a boy
in a school I was visiting, who asked me to
write a book called The Moving Castle.
I wrote down his name, and put it in such a safe
place, that I have been unable to find it ever since.
I would like to thank him very much.
In the land of Ingary where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worse, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.
She was not even the child of a poor woodcutter, which might have given her some chance of success! Her parents were well to do and kept a ladies' hat shop in the prosperous town of Market Chipping. -- Chapter 1 (p.1)
It was odd. As a girl, Sophie would have shriveled with embarrassment at the way she was behaving. As an old woman, she did not mind what she did or said. She found that a great relief.  -- Chapter 5 (p.83)
This record is for the book, not the movie. Please do not combine this with the movie or the DVD.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006441034X, Mass Market Paperback)

In the land of Ingary, such things as spells, invisible cloaks, and seven-league boots were everyday things. The Witch of the Waste was another matter.

After fifty years of quiet, it was rumored that the Witch was about to terrorize the country again. So when a moving black castle, blowing dark smoke from its four thin turrets, appeared on the horizon, everyone thought it was the Witch. The castle, however, belonged to Wizard Howl, who, it was said, liked to suck the souls of young girls.

The Hatter sisters--Sophie, Lettie, and Martha--and all the other girls were warned not to venture into the streets alone. But that was only the beginning.

In this giant jigsaw puzzle of a fantasy, people and things are never quite what they seem. Destinies are intertwined, identities exchanged, lovers confused. The Witch has placed a spell on Howl. Does the clue to breaking it lie in a famous poem? And what will happen to Sophie Hatter when she enters Howl's castle?

Diana Wynne Jones's entrancing fantasy is filled with surprises at every turn, but when the final stormy duel between the Witch and the Wizard is finished, all the pieces fall magically into place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Eldest of three sisters in a land where it is considered to be a misfortune, Sophie is resigned to her fate as a hat shop apprentice until a witch turns her into an old woman and she finds herself in the castle of the greatly feared wizard Howl.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible