Banewreaker: Volume I of The Sundering by…

Banewreaker: Volume I of The Sundering (edition 2004)

by Jacqueline Carey (Author)

Series: The Sundering (1)

Hated by humans who believe him to be responsible for a war between the gods, the proud Satoris orders former mortal soldier Tanaros backswords to prevent an unfavorable prophecy from being fulfilled by capturing the Lady of the Ellylon. Following the triumphant success of her Kushiel series (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar), Jacqueline Carey now turns her hand to another startling fable, an epic tale of gods waging war in their bid to control an entire universe and the mortals they use as chess pieces in a most deadly game. Once, the Seven Shapers dwelled in accord. First born among them was Haomane, Lord-of-Thought and with his brother and sister gods, the seven drew upon of the power of the Souma, claimed a race of beings for their own and began Shaping the world to their will. But Haomane saw the ways of this new world and was displeased. For in his younger brother Satoris, once called the Sower, Haomane thought too prideful and in his gift, the quickening of the flesh too freely to the races and to that of Man in particular. Haomane asked Satoris to withdraw his gift from men but he refused, and so began the Shapers' War. Eons have passed. The war that ensued sundered the very world. Haomane and his siblings lay to one end of a vast ocean unable to touch their creations, Satoris and the races of the world on the other. Satoris has been broken and left adrift among the peoples of the world and is reviled, with most of the races believing that it was he alone who caused the rift and depriving them of the balm of the seven. He sits in Darkhaven, controlling his own dominion seeking not victory but neither vengeance. But still Haomane is not content. Through Haomane's whispers in the minds and hearts of the races of the world come a prophecy that if Satoris were defeated, the world could be made whole and all would bask in the light of the Souma again. And the few who stay by Satoris are viewed as the ultimate evil, and so the races come together to defeat Satoris, a being who helped engender them all but who is caught in his elder brother's warp. Strong storytelling with evocative, compelling, and unforgettable characters, Banewrecker ultimately asks the question: If all that is considered good considers you evil, are you?… (more)
Member:shotwell.librarium
Title:Banewreaker: Volume I of The Sundering
Authors:Jacqueline Carey (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2004), Edition: 1st, 432 pages
Collections:Study

Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (ryvre)
    The Black Company by Glen Cook (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another fantasy tale told from the typically opposing side.
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Both stories recast the basic plot of Lord of the Rings from the "evil" point of view. The Last Ringbearer is directly set in Middle Earth, while Banewreaker (and the other part of the Sundering duology, Godslayer) is in a different setting that features many parallels to Middle Earth.… (more)

On second thoughts, no. I gave it until page 35 (the prologue and the first chapter) but this is absolutely not my thing. Very stately, very "epic", rather Tolkienesque in its elves-and-men and the forming of the world. Rather a lot more grey than Tolkien's black-and-white, sure, but still more long vistas and stirring forces than the details of humanity. Where those details of humanity do come in, I don't like them - I don't wish to follow a main character who killed his wife for unfaithfulness.
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
A high fantasy novel but an epic tragedy rather than a heroic epic. This is closely based on the events in Tolkien's Silmarillion and the lord of the rings. But simply describing it as the lord of the rings told from Sauron's point of view would be doing it injustice. All the similarities are only superficial as the characters and the emotionally powerful prose add a lot of interesting nuances to the story.
Like in her previous books themes of passion and sexuality play an important part in the story. But it also raises interesting questions regarding morality, fate, loyalty and honor and love and hatred.
In the end it does a reasonably good job of challenging the notions of good and evil in a typical epic fantasy setting.
I would recommend this if you don't mind Carey's dense, overwrought and self-indulgent prose.
  kasyapa | Oct 9, 2017 |

I've generally been a huge fan of Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel books, and picked up Godslayer at a convention ages ago; and then on advice got Banewreaker to read first. They are really a very different kettle of fish. Written between the first and second Kushiel trilogies, these two books take the standard fantasy quest narrative and try to tell it from the point of view of the evil side not really being all that bad. It's a worthy attempt, and I kept reading, spotting different bits and pieces taken from Tolkien and other writers and slightly reinvented, but it didn't really grab me.

In particular, the names of some of the characters are so wrong that it's very distracting. One key figure is called Malthus, and I kept expecting him to start preaching on the problems of overpopulation; another is called Carfax, and unfortunately that name makes me think of traffic jams in Oxford before anything else. It's a real shame; Carey's ear for names in the Kushiel books seems to have been rather good, but here that talent deserted her. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 18, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this, I expected to like it, having read and loved 5 of Carey's Kushiel's series. But I really didn't enjoy this book. Especially the first third was torturous slow going. I thought about giving up on it, but I just couldn't believe I would like this book so much less than the other books I read by the same author. I'm not sure what it was, maybe because I disliked the majority of the cast. Or maybe the story just didn't appeal to me. Whatever it was, I'm glad I finally finished this and I won't be continuing with the next installment. ( )
  Vonini | Mar 6, 2016 |
I was a sucker for the whole "lord of the rings-esque story from the perspective of the villains" concept, so that gave it points from the start. I really enjoyed the book. Good pacing and an interesting world. The characters were just alright--I felt like they could have been developed to be a little more interesting. Even the bad guys seemed to fall back on misunderstood anti-hero stereotypes a bit more often than I liked. And I missed the presence of a really interesting, strong female character. Maidens in distress and brave-but-boring archer heroines just did not do it for me and I expected more from Carey. The sorceress was the most interesting character, but she lacked really any agency, compared to all the other characters.

Still, I enjoyed the book. I'll still read the sequel, but I'm hoping the characters improve and the women are given a little bit more to do in their own right. ( )
  ajhackwith | Jan 3, 2013 |

Jacqueline Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The place was called Gorgantum.
So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear, Farewell remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil be thou my Good.
John Milton, Paradise Lost

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,195,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible