Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes,…

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the… (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Christopher McDougall

McDougall reveals the secrets of the world's greatest distance runners--the Tarahumara Indians of Copper Canyon, Mexico--and how he trained for the challenge of a lifetime: a fifty-mile race through the heart of Tarahumara country pitting the tribe against an odd band of super-athletic Americans.
Member:jsk85
Title:Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
Authors:Christopher McDougall
Info:Knopf (2009), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall (2009)

ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running by Danny Dreyer (ahstrick)
    Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis (zhejw)
    zhejw: Both books are stories of outsiders changing the conventional way of approaching a sport. Both authors write compelling narratives that draw the reader into the stories of the individuals who are at the center of this new way of looking at their sport.
    Why We Run: A Natural History by Bernd Heinrich (jochenB, Ronoc)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: There are interesting parallels between Caballo Blanco and Chris McCandless (the protagonist in Into the Wild).
    Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves by James Nestor (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Both about a common activity we all do (running/swimming), giving up technology (shoes/scuba gear) and ancient latent ability in us all.
    Runner's World Guide to Road Racing: Run Your First (or Fastest) 5-K, 10-K, Half-Marathon, or Marathon by Katie Mcdonald Neitz (Ronoc)
    Running by Jean Echenoz (Ronoc)
    A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York by Liz Robbins (_Zoe_)

English (208)  Spanish (3)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (214)
Listened to the Audiobook. The book was very interesting, really enlightening. There were some themes/topics that the author talked about that were a little hard to believe, but overall a good book with a very good story. Particularly like how the author can begin a tangent and you forget where you were before the tangent started. Audiobook reader was also particularly good. ( )
  jhavens12 | Sep 1, 2021 |
Some interesting parts, but overall far too over-the-top about barefoot running, and very sensational in its depiction of these people. ( )
  brett.sovereign | Jul 10, 2021 |
It was an enjoyable read, that just makes you want to drop it and start running. However, it feels like it doesn't tackle everything as much as the title and description hint at. More of a memoir than is implied in its title. ( )
  Ghost1y | May 16, 2021 |
This made me ready to hit the rail with minimal shoes. I think I'm ready to try running some instead of just walking.

At least a little trotting on occasion. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Oh, goodness, another full-length non-fiction book by a journalist, my favorite genre. Born to run, however, may be the best-written one of the three I've read this year, though I'm not exactly sure how the audiobook format may have affected that comparison. I read - or listened to - Born to Run several months removed from my Western-style exercise routine (and half-marathon training), and this book didn't exactly inspire me to get and go out to renew it. What it did do, as I listened from the vegetable garden and rice fields of my Nepali host family in Chitwan, was cause me appreciate the seemingly "backwards" culture I've been immersed in - in particular their tendency to work and play and do many daily tasks with bare feet. A sizeable portion of the book contrasted the details of the primitive Taura Umara's (right, so audiobooks don't give you proper spellings and Nepali internet makes research challenging) lifestyle with the supposed advantages of the USA's running culture. In researching and then helping plan an ultra (long-distance0 race between a handful of elite American runners and several members of the native tribe in some obscure, ultra-dangerous corner of rural Mexico, McDougall finds experts and enthusiasts on topics like Nike, barefoot running, injuries, sports psychology, and the anthropology of human running form. His basic conclusion - that each and every one of us is really and truly genetically programmed to run long distances - never directly addresses the injuries that he introduces at the book's start. Obviously, it's not a coaching book, but his glorification of the Taura Umara runners yields vague instructions about altering form and strides and such. I enjoyed his discussions about their "backwardness" and the Western world's misgivings about progress the most. ( )
  revatait | Feb 21, 2021 |
“Born to Run” is not the best book on the intricacies of the sport—my pick would be Timothy Noakes’s “Lore of Running”; for a training guide, I’d select Scott Douglas and Pete Pfitzinger’s “Advanced Marathoning”—but it’s certainly the most accessible and the best selling... the real virtue of McDougal’s book is that it reminded readers about our primal connection to running, the purest of sports. It reminded us that there are different ways to run—some of which hurt our bodies more than others. And it gave us new ways of appreciating distance running. It has, in other words, made hundreds of thousands of people look at the sport again

"Born to Run" uses every trick of creative nonfiction, a genre in which literary license is an indispensable part of truth-telling. McDougall has arranged and adrenalized his story for maximum narrative impact. Questions crop up about the timing of events and the science behind the drama, but it's best to keep pace with him and trust that -- separate from the narrative drama -- we're actually seeing a glimpse of running's past and how it may apply to the present and the future.

Christopher McDougallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sanders, FredNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The best runner leaves no tracks. - Tao Te Ching
To John and Jean McDougall, my parents, who gave me everything and keep on giving
For days, I'd been searching Mexicon's Sierra Madre for the phantom known as Caballo Blanco - the White Horse

El misterioso pueblo de los tarahumaras, un grupo de superatletas y la más increíble carrera jamás contada
Running shoes are bad.
Run long, run easy, run fast.
Run each race for joy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,173,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible