Critical Judgment by Frederik Pohl

Critical Judgment (original 1996; edition 1977)

by Frederik Pohl (Author)

A doctor takes on a chemical plant which is polluting a small town. Dr. Abby Dolan decides to act after she is nearly killed by a patient rendered mad by toxins. A dangerous crusade as the plant belongs to a powerful corporation. By the author of Silent Treatment.
Member:RKaiju
Title:Critical Judgment
Authors:Frederik Pohl (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (1977), 179 pages

Work Information

Critical Judgment by Michael Palmer (1996)

Dr. Abby Dolan has followed her boyfriend Josh to a small California community, Patience, where he has been hired at a major facility and she finds work in the emergency room of the local, extremely well-appointed, hospital. But Josh is acting strangely now, some of Abby’s patients are exhibiting puzzling symptoms, and a few individuals seem to be experiencing psychotic rages so extreme that people are getting killed. Abby begins searching for the truth, with the help of handsome colleague Dr. Lew Alvarez, but there are many in the town who don’t want them to discover what is really going on and who are willing to do anything to prevent them from learning about it…. This is a typical medical thriller, a genre I don’t read very much but which I find can be quite perfect as a lazy summer read. The author was himself a physician and the medical aspects, particularly the type of training needed to make a good emergency room specialist, are quite interesting; the thriller aspect of the book is indeed fast-paced and cinematic. Having been published in 1996, some particular elements seem quaint (his treatment of MRI machines, for example, but then I’m reading the book 25 years later, when such machines are far more common and well-understood), and despite having lived there for almost two decades I still can’t for the life of me place a downtown high-rise in San Francisco from which one could see both Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, but these are minor quibbles. Mostly, a fairly mindless and entertaining way to spend time in the summer - on a beach, perhaps, or in a sultry backyard. Mildly recommended. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jul 18, 2021 |
I'm really enjoying this so far. The toddler keeps interrupting me though, and has twice hid the book from me. So it's taking a while.

*edit to say that I'm not ignoring my kid to read this book. He's playing with toys or napping when I pick it up, but it's like he KNOWS
  lightshimmer | Apr 22, 2016 |
A great mystery for conspiracy theorists. I really liked the characters, the style, everything but the plot. It was too far-fetched for a mystery. It would have fit better in a sci-fi futuristic book. It would make sense as a cautionary tale, but not in a vein of realism. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 18, 2014 |
Not as good as some of his other books. (Feb 08) ( )
  mtgirl | Mar 29, 2008 |
  kattykathy | May 7, 2007 |

Michael Palmerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Sisters Donna Palmer Prince and Susan Palmer Terry for always being there for me And in Loving memory of our mother
It was just after noon when the flickering lights began again ----- countless slivers of rainbow bathing the inside of his eyes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,457,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible